Building a setup
Jan 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

isquirrel

Headphoneus Supremus
I am long time Music/High End Audio nut. I lost everything in the 2011 Brisbane floods including my entire music collection. However I am now Mac based and wanting to get back into it with the headphone scene. I have been ogling a pair of the Sennheiser HD800 for a very good price. However my collectiuon is now entirely iTunes based and funds are limited.

I have the following equipment.

MacBook Pro retina 15 with B&W MM-1 desktop speakers. For headphones I use IEM Shure SE535's played out of the dedicated Headphone amp in the MM-1's. I am thinking of going to a Audioquest Dragon Fly DAC to drive the HD800's - not ideal I understand.

Any suggestions would be most welcome please.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 6
The most portable AMPs don't offers such power like through Amplified speakers HP jack and if need must on the go DAC/AMPs then iBasso D12, Fiio E17, Nuforce UDAC are pretty decent.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I am long time Music/High End Audio nut. I lost everything in the 2011 Brisbane floods including my entire music collection. However I am now Mac based and wanting to get back into it with the headphone scene. I have been ogling a pair of the Sennheiser HD800 for a very good price. However my collectiuon is now entirely iTunes based and funds are limited.

I have the following equipment.

MacBook Pro retina 15 with B&W MM-1 desktop speakers. For headphones I use IEM Shure SE535's played out of the dedicated Headphone amp in the MM-1's. I am thinking of going to a Audioquest Dragon Fly DAC to drive the HD800's - not ideal I understand.

Any suggestions would be most welcome please.

I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT get the HD800s unless you are willing to fork out 1k+ on an amp/dac. The HD800s are considerably hard to drive, and to make it worse, they're picky about their amp. Since you've stated that you're on a low budget, perhaps think about buying something not as hard to drive, possible the HD650s or the HD700s. If you're insistent on getting the HD800s, try find a cheap (i recommend tube, doesn't have to be though) amp able to drive them.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 6
The sound signature of the HD800's, much like stax, are an acquired taste. Also in terms of sheer scalability the HD800's are one of the top cans. They are not forgiving at all (unlike let's say ...the LCD's), and their sound will mainly reflect the quality of your source and amp.

If you are on a budget steer clear. If, however you want to tough it out, these are the cans you will want to buy and keep for the long haul- unless of course you never enjoy their sound signature (the many reviews out there can help you with that).

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you to all for your suggestions, the HD 800's are belong to a friend and the price is very reasonable (less than new HD700) so I am going to take up the kind offer.

I think its wise to go with a Solid State amp as I need my setup to be portable. I will have a look at the NuForce line and other lines suggested.

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 6
The m-Stage is supposed to be an EXCELLENT pairing for the HD800 for those on a budget. Roughly $270 new or $200 used. Not portable-but small and transportable. Good choice on the HD800s-but definitely improve the rest of your rig as $$ permits!

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back