Build Quality of ER-4Ps
Jan 14, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 21
Mine are smooth. No jagged edges, no loose connections. Box was in perfect condition with everything inside it. They seem really solid for their size.

Jan 14, 2003 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 21
Peddler, I used to always feel like your shadow, following around ready to say something in a thread only to find out you've already said it, now i'm beating you to the punch.

'It seems the apprentice is now the masta"

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 21
You and I share the same tastes in headphones - Koss KSC-35's & Ety 4P's.

Although in some ways they are like chalk and cheese I really think they compliment each other - I use the 35's a lot now but I still love to mellow out with the Ety's from time to time.

Just out of interest, judging by your handle, are you into Falcon 4 flight simulator?

Jan 14, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
No problems with mine. I do treat them carefully - they probably won't stand being stood on.

I'd say that this is a fair statement...

Those people who say that they can see the gold connectors from the cables... have you tried pushing the cable into the driver housing? I can pull mine out if I want... and push it back flush... so that no gold can be seen
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 21
ssblood,

i love my ety's to death. everyone that knows me well, knows i am a neat freak. this means that try to take extremely good care of my ety's. i have read up on all the precautions to take...i.e. pulling straight up on the foamies to remove them from the phones when changing. however, a week ago, i carefully pulled the foamie pad off only to find a huge crack with a little broken piece of the stem stuck to the inside of the foam tubing...WHAT THE HELL! also, about 2 months ago, the black covering over the wires started to slip down from under the red and blue cylindars on both sides....AGAIN, WHAT THE HELL! i still love em, but, i paid 300.00 dollars for these freagin things. this should, by no means, be happening AT ALL!!! i am going to call Etymotic soon to see if i can be compensated in some way for the expensive shipping charges i've had to pay these last two times. if anything, get them because of the sound. my huge concern is, what happens after the warrently runs out, and my phones break again in some ridiculus way for no apparent reason? good luck to you
smily_headphones1.gif

PS...sorry bout jumpin down your throat on that other post in the headroom forum.

Jan 15, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 21
It's ok.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I would cry if I got a pair of ER-4Ps and that happened... I would ball like a little baby... heh. But that's probally because it will take every penny I can save for a month(packing my lunch to school now I soppose) to get them...

Jan 15, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 21
Ok, I know that most people that own etys will never have this problem...

but still..

There's been enough people to that have had the same problem, on the same forum, I think to warrant etymotic doing something about this.

This isn't a forum of people who abuse their stuff, this is a forum where people like good sound and tend to try their best to take care of their stuff.

Etymotic, where is the QC?

Jan 15, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 21
I had some problems with the foam pads originally and gave up on them. The silicon become much more comfortable (once I got used to them) and sound better to me. The foam pads would come unglued to the inner part of the tube that's supposed to go on the headphone driver.

I travel quite a bit with my etys - I keep them in a round Altoids candy tin. Had them for about 9 months and they've traveled about 120,000 miles with me. Only thing that's wearing on them is the silicon tip. Starting to discolor slightly. Luckily it comes with several more!

While I can't talk about standing on them, I have sat on them on the plane. Not a problem for the headphones, but I don't recommend it.

Jan 15, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 21
The thing that concerns me is the ratio of cost to build quality. These things go for 300 bucks, and yet they use some cheap kind of plastic that's likely to break in normal use? That somehow doesn't seem right.

Also, didn't someone from etymotic claim in an earlier thread, about this same problem, not to use the foam tips because they were likely to cause this problem? Yet, if this is true, why hasn't ety addressed the issue, and why do they include the foam tips still?

I hope this little "feature" is addressed before I get the 4p...
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #14 of 21
I don't understand why anybody would like to use foam tips. Silicon tips are so much better. They are more comfortable than foamies and offer much more isolation which leads to better sound quality. Silicon tips are also easy to remove so you don't have to worry damaging your etys. I have tried fomies a couble of times with my er-4ps and didn't like it.

Jan 15, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 21
helento1:

the reason why you can't understand is because you forgot about how everyone's ear is completely different than the next(just like a snowflake or a fingerprint). in that regard, everyone has different ways for getting the best sound out of their ety's. also, it is the same reason why an individual might perceive the sound of the ety's (or any phone for that matter) as bright, while others might perceive the sound as dark. it's not that these people have different ideas of bright and dark sound, it is mainly due to inner and outer ear differences...these people are actually experiencing and hearing the same parts of the sound spectrum in different ways. i myself cannot use the silicon tips because, this is my theory, my ear canal is small. and when i use the silicon tips, they cut off too much of the sound and it therefore makes everything too quiet. i have tried for months to get the silicon tips to work, but the foamies simply provide a way better bass response and soundstage altogether by far. so this is why Etymotic offers various options in fitting these phones into ones ears...everybody has a different way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back