Bug in Sony A818's internal database
Aug 7, 2008 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rhymesgalore

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,
i got the player yesterday, and it didn't took me more then five minutes to run into the first problem....

When loading the player with a folder that looks like this:
Johann Sebastian Bach / Suiten für Violoncello solo / Suite für Violoncello solo Nr. 1 G-Dur / 01 - I. Prélude.mp3
(and accordingly album folders for the rest of the 5 suites)
it couldn't display the files properly when viewing them in the internal Database, sorting almost all of them under Unknown for album, artist and track.

Only the sixth track of each album was shown correctly (being all suites, all the albums have 6 tracks and pretty much the same name, the sixth being "06 - VI. Gigue".)

So first i thought it was a problem with the tags. But after checking them with mp3tag, and even writing them new, they all came out fine.

Long story short, the Sony has a limitation on the length on folder and file names, when building its internal database. And it is not the individual file or folder name, its the sum of them from top level to the file name. (That's why all sixth tracks came out fine. They had the shortest name of them all, coming in shortly below the limit).

I haven't determined what the limit is, but it must be somewhere around 80 characters for folder + file name.

The tracks are still showing correctly when browsing them by folder view on the Sony, so the bug is limited to the internal database.

Pretty annoying...

PS: Using MTP or UMS, or using a program like Media Player 11 for transfering has no effects, the problem seems to be the Sony itself, since it builds the database by itself.

Edit: Found the limit. When you have a two folder hierachy (Artist/Album for example) containing the files, you can't have more than 105 characters for the two folder and the file name in sum. That's not an awfull lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back