Budget IEM Help PLZ!
Jun 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

txstwes

New Head-Fier
Hey youll, (need help finding some budget iem's <$100)

Newbie here and I have a question, if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.  So I've read the review of the 200+ Iem's and I am trying to decide between the vsonic VC02's, the GR06's and the Astrotec Am-90's (was also considering soundmagic e10's or brainwavz m2's or m5's but these did not get as high reviews).  My budget is around $60 give or take and my main concern is build quality and durability, and obviously SQ.  I listen to primarily hip hop but I don't need something that is going to blow me out of the water with bass.  Just looking for good quality headphones that would sound good while listening to mainly hip hop.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and feel free to suggest anything other than what I have listed if it meets these criteria.  Many Thanks,

Wes Lee

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 12
Those are a little out of my price range and I don't know how readily available a used pair are.  If I could score a new pair in the 60 dollar range, that would be perfect.  There is just too many damn choices!!  Probably just grab a random pair that joker gives a 10 for value.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Those are a little out of my price range and I don't know how readily available a used pair are.  If I could score a new pair in the 60 dollar range, that would be perfect.  There is just too many damn choices!!  Probably just grab a random pair that joker gives a 10 for value.

If you stretch $60 to $80, you can buy the eph100. http://www.head-fi.org/t/667590/yamaha-eph100sl-atrio-m5-mg7

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 12
Questions: Do you have any prefered headphone/earphone? Is this the first time you buy better earphones? (and by better earphones I mean not something nameless and cost 2 bucks) 
If you are clueless about what to buy, my suggestion is that you go for GR06 (sure they got some bass, but not the basshead/bass monster level). VC02 has some issue with detachable cable and if you don't handle them with care, you can easily lose the earpieces

Another advice: depend on where you live, you can actually get some headphones/earphones for cheaper price than they are listed here. In my case, I live near Japan, and happened to grab a pair of FXT90 from there for $75, shipping included (on Amazon they are costed around $90), so make sure you look around and do some researchs before making a decision. Good luck!

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 12
Jun 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for the responses youll.  My only pair of IEM's were sony "high performance" IEM's that I bought almost 10 years ago.  They sounded pretty good and lasted forever but unfortunately they died. 

So Ive done a lot of research narrowing down my choices but I am still undecided.  I was leaning towards the vsonic gr02 bass editions but have read a lot of reviews saying that they broke fairly quickly and that lendmeurears can be hard to deal with. 

So my choices now are the Dunu tridents, klipsch s4's (on sale for 50 bucks at best buy), soundmagic e10's, sony mh1c's, shure se 215's,  and dunu dn-23's.  (Yamaha eph-100's look awesome but cant find a used pair and 150 is a little expensive for me)

My primary concerns are build, because I will be using them primarily at the gym, and sound quality (bass heavy with good mids and treble. Will be listening to hip hop mainly and some rock). 

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 12
DUNU have some of the best build quality out there. DN-12 or DN-23 would be fine for your needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back