Budget hybrid amp for Grados - Looking for recommendations
Mar 23, 2010 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mad Dude

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers,

I currently own a Little Dot MKIII, which is driving my K701s - and although the MKIII/K701 combo might not be an ideal match, I absolutely love the sound coming from it. However, I recently got a pair of Grado SR325is', and combining the MKIII with them leads to a somewhat mediocre result. I expected that, but I wanted to give the MKIII a chance... But now, I even prefer the awful headphone output of my speaker amp (Harman/Kardon HK680) to the Little Dot.

Now, I am looking for an amp to drive the Grados efficiently. I am aware of the fact that tube amps are in no way ideal to drive low-impendance cans such as the Grados. But I really don't want to miss the warm tube sound... a hybrid amp seems to be the way to go.

Since the Grados should not really be hard to drive and I want to keep the cost down (below $300), I think something cheap like the Little Dot 1+ or the Hifiman EF2 should be sufficient.

I am looking for something that brings out the aggressiveness of the Grados a bit (I have already read that the LD1+ does that nicely). Since I use them exclusively for Rock and Metal, I would not mind it if they sound harsh - I would actually like that.

Which amp would you recommend for me? Would either the LD 1+ or the EF2 be a good choice for the grados? Are there alternatives to consider?

Just to avoid misundestandings, I don't want to replace the MKIII, I would use the hybrid amp as an addition to it. My DAC Magic should arrive soon, which has two outputs, so I would be able to use two amps without having to mess around with the cables.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 16
I personally like the LD1+ more than the EF2, but the EF2 has a DAC which is a plus. Plus the only other advantage the EF2 has over the LD1+ is the fact that you can use triode tubes. Man I bet a pair of Bugle Boys or NOS Mullards would sound nice in there!!

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 16
The only unit that I may consider over the Little Dot 1+ as Hybrid amps go is the EF4 but that is four times as much and I have two tube DAC's that I can use. I like the sound, looks and the flexibility of the Little Dot 1+ over the EF2

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for your replies! The LD1+ seems to be a no-brainer then, given its low price.

But another (probably stupid) question: Could an amp that is not running be damaged while it is connected to a DAC which is running? I ask because I want to connect two amps to my CA DAC Magic at the same time - one connected via the RCA out, the other one via the XLR out (using XLR to RCA adapters). Only one amp would be on of course.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen quite a few people who like their millet hybrid + grado combos

I already considered a Millet DIY amp, since there are some nice kits (for the Millet MiniMax for example) which even I could manage to solder together
biggrin.gif

But before I go that route, I want to have a small amp as a base to compare others to. I think the LD1+ is perfect for that purpose. Just sent an email to David from Little Dot, he said that there's quite a waitlist for the LD1+ and that I will have to wait for one or two weeks. Damn. Anyway, I ordered it, now I'm curious to see how it performs...

My other question remains - could it damage an amp (which is turned off) if it is connected to DAC (which is turned on) for a longer period of time?

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am aware of the fact that tube amps are in no way ideal to drive low-impendance cans such as the Grados...

This is not a fact at all. There are a number of tube amps that could certainly be deemed ideal for driving low-impedance cans. Do a little research here regarding OTL tube amps and transformer-coupled tube amps because you are laboring under a false impression.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for your replies! The LD1+ seems to be a no-brainer then, given its low price.

But another (probably stupid) question: Could an amp that is not running be damaged while it is connected to a DAC which is running? I ask because I want to connect two amps to my CA DAC Magic at the same time - one connected via the RCA out, the other one via the XLR out (using XLR to RCA adapters). Only one amp would be on of course.

No problem at all and no damage. I have a couple of DACs I use in that fashion.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 16
I'd like to add to this thread as well.

coming from owning both the EF2 and LDI+, I'd go for the LDI+ as well (it's also the one I kept).

It sounds better and it's more powerful. One disadvantage of the LDI+ is it's a bit prone to RFI over the EF2.

But no biggie if you set it up right.

I also wouldn't worry about the EF2 having an inbuilt DAC, it's crap as far as I'm concerned. My iPod inbuilt DAC blows it away.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by carledwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not a fact at all. There are a number of tube amps that could certainly be deemed ideal for driving low-impedance cans. Do a little research here regarding OTL tube amps and transformer-coupled tube amps because you are laboring under a false impression.

This is indeed the first time I hear that a tube amp could be "ideal" for low-impendance 'phones. I have absolutely no doubt that there are tube amps which do a great job with low-impendance phones - even my LD MKIII sounds awesome with the AKG K701
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I still think that a hybrid amp *could* do a better job with my Grados, especially in the price range that I am considering.

I am quite surprised that so many people seem to prefer the LD1+ over the EF2 - I have read some glowing reviews on the EF2, and it's good to know that the LD1+ is even better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12

Great! Then I can use both amps without worry.

Thank you all for the replies!

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

This is indeed the first time I hear that a tube amp could be "ideal" for low-impendance 'phones. I have absolutely no doubt that there are tube amps which do a great job with low-impendance phones - even my LD MKIII sounds awesome with the AKG K701
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I still think that a hybrid amp *could* do a better job with my Grados, especially in the price range that I am considering.

Price range is certainly the key. It's definitely true that inexpensive OTL tube amps are not ideal for driving low impedance headphones. As you go up in price, however, you can find tube amps that are definitely ideal for driving low impedance cans. I was just pointing out the problem with making absolute statements like the one you made above.

Best of luck in your search!

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 16
I see your point, I should not have made that statement. Sorry!

Regarding the amps, I will definitely look around for a tube amp which will drive all of my phones adequately. The WA6 is already on my list... But this has to wait, I have spent way too much money on gear lately. For now, I have ordered the LD1+, can't wait to hear what it does with the Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Only a couple?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back