Budget headphones. Advice needed.
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I've been recommended this site as forum who knows its way around sound, so I've figured it's a good place for advice.
I've been in dire need for some headphones for some time now. My last pick got worn out by time - I used Sennheiser HD202. The cable just got worn out and snapped somewhere inside cable, other than that, the worked out fine for the job and price. :)

Cutting things short - what are my preferences? Well, I'm looking for on-ear/over-ear headphones mainly for home use(PC mostly, for casual listening and gaming) that offer good sound and comfort. Portability and other stuff is not as important, since I don't tend to listen music actively on the go. Insulation is preferable, mostly due me wanting the cancel the outside noise.

Budget: circa 500 HRK - that would be around €70/$80/£60. Mind that I live in Europe, so price may vary(but don't be afraid to share your choice). It's not a fixed budget, and I might spend a bit more if it's good step up in quality but this just something for me to get into audiophile world.

If you have questions about my preferences, shoot away.
And thank you all in advance.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Sounds like you need a closed headphone. I think what I would recommend is an ATH-M40X, which really sounds quite balanced and good for its price point and would meet most, if not all, of your needs. There are other options, such as the Takstar Pro 82, but I would have preference for the M40X overall, personally. Maybe read about these and see what you think. It's possible one of them could work for you. Pricing in the US for the M40X is about $70 currently. It is more expensive in the EU, but you may be able to find one for around 80 euros somewhere. If not and if you do not like the Pro 82, then look at an M30X, which is also quite good.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 7
I heard a lot of praise for ATH-M(X) range, so those would be best bet for my price range? Is M50X much better, I might even stretch my budget if you are?

EDIT: Holy crap, ATH-M50X cost ~200€ in Croatia. I have to see if order from other country is worth it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 7
The M40x would also be my recommendation for a closed-back over-ear in that range...but the Koss KTXPRO1 has better sound quality and comfort (in my opinion) despite only costing around $20. It's semi-open and on-ear. Unlike with most headphones, I can wear my glasses without them even touching the headphones. The build quality / durability is like a cheap toy, though, but Koss headphones have a lifetime warranty.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello everyone.

I've been recommended this site as forum who knows its way around sound, so I've figured it's a good place for advice.
I've been in dire need for some headphones for some time now. My last pick got worn out by time - I used Sennheiser HD202. The cable just got worn out and snapped somewhere inside cable, other than that, the worked out fine for the job and price. :)

Cutting things short - what are my preferences? Well, I'm looking for on-ear/over-ear headphones mainly for home use(PC mostly, for casual listening and gaming) that offer good sound and comfort. Portability and other stuff is not as important, since I don't tend to listen music actively on the go. Insulation is preferable, mostly due me wanting the cancel the outside noise.

Budget: circa 500 HRK - that would be around €70/$80/£60. Mind that I live in Europe, so price may vary(but don't be afraid to share your choice). It's not a fixed budget, and I might spend a bit more if it's good step up in quality but this just something for me to get into audiophile world.

If you have questions about my preferences, shoot away.
And thank you all in advance.

https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd660.htm

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 7
+1 for M40x if you can find a good price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back