budget full-size headphones
Dec 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bukowski

New Head-Fier
Due to the 2 PM's limit, i was "forced" to create this thread... 

I asked Dsnuts for a budget full-size headphones by PM, but then i got stuck with the 2 Pm's issue. i hope he doesn't get upset i'm getting this public...

Hi Dsnuts, my name is Carlos and i'm writing you from Portugal.

I religious follow your "the discovery thread" for some time now. i just bought the JVC FX101 based on your opinion and MAN they're great!!! and i got them for under 15 bucks!?! the real deal!!!

i'm now seeking for "full" heaphones. but i would like the same kind of budget deal... the crisis here in Portugal it's giving us such a bad time!?! :)

i hear mainly trip-hop (wax tailor, parov stelar, air, zero 7, telepopmusik, etc); alternative rock (pixies, joy division, morphine, etc) and reggae (bob marley, all the marley sons, buju banton, etc).

so, as you can see, i like warmer sounds, with a tendency to bass.
they're for indoor use.

i've been looking these models mainly because my budget can't go over $40  (liked the industrial look of the JVC's and the vintage looks of the Superlux's):

- JVC HA-S4X (they're under $30)
- JVC HA-M5X (didn't like some bad critics, around $40)
- Panasonic RP-HTF600E (unfortunately they're not available, so they're out of this quest)
- Superlux HD 651 (this one have some pretty bad reviews, but under $17)
- Superlux HD 681 (v-shaped sound, but i got scared with the crispy highs, around $40)
- Superlux HD 668 (more neutral than the 681, less bass... under $54)

what do you think? can you give me a little help?
do you have other suggestions for me?

thanks in advance, mate! 

since then he suggested me the JVC HA-M750. with some search, i've also founded the Samson SR850...

i will buy the headphones from amazon.co.uk or amazon.es, and i would like to remain under $40.

can you guys (and Dsnuts, obviously) give me some help with this quest?

thanks in advance!

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 9
my main questions are:

- are the Superlux/Samson "balanced" enough to allow me listening my trip-hop? or will i feel the lack of bass?

- will the JVC's XX be so unbalanced that i'll miss the sharpness and clarity of the mids and highs in the reggae and indie musics?

should I consider any other alternative within this budget limit?

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 9
can u get the jvc ha-rx700? these are the kings of large budget headphones. 

some comments

ha-5mx  dont bother- thudding bass
hd-651- dont bother- same as above- real junk here
the hd681 ans samson sr850 are the same headphone- decent bass and mids, cheap but sturdy build- highs a little screechy, in a vintage-y kind of way
hd668- better balance, highs still a little rough for me

havnt head the others

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 9
jvc ha-rx700... around $50. still a good deal? 

also, for that price i can get the sony mdrb500 (physical store)... too much basshead? i'll use them with ipod and laptop eq, always.

about the HD681-B/Samson SR850: "highs a little screechy, in a vintage-y kind of way", what do you mean by that?
the look it's vintage, no doubt about that, and i like it a lot! 
biggrin.gif

and btw, i can get these two (Superlux and Samson) for the same price (around $40). shouldn't be the Samson cheaper (being Superlux OEM)?

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
can u get the jvc ha-rx700? these are the kings of large budget headphones. 

some comments

ha-5mx  dont bother- thudding bass
hd-651- dont bother- same as above- real junk here
the hd681 ans samson sr850 are the same headphone- decent bass and mids, cheap but sturdy build- highs a little screechy, in a vintage-y kind of way
hd668- better balance, highs still a little rough for me

havnt head the others

681 and SR850 are different.

SR850 and 668b are the same sounding but SR850 has 681's sound

I recommend the 681 over the 668b, 668b is boring sounding unless you want to get a specific amp with it

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 9
Another Portuguese headfier, welcome :)

Look for Panasonic RP-HTX7

Where in Portugal do you live?

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
jvc ha-rx700... around $50. still a good deal? 

also, for that price i can get the sony mdrb500 (physical store)... too much basshead? i'll use them with ipod and laptop eq, always.

about the HD681-B/Samson SR850: "highs a little screechy, in a vintage-y kind of way", what do you mean by that?
the look it's vintage, no doubt about that, and i like it a lot! 
biggrin.gif

and btw, i can get these two (Superlux and Samson) for the same price (around $40). shouldn't be the Samson cheaper (being Superlux OEM)?

Iwould say the jvc at 50$ are still a good deal. by vintage-y highs, I mean the highs sound similar to old (but quality) headphones such as the vintage beyer dt880 series and senn hd560, also similar to an akg k701. many peeps might like this sound. I prefer the smooth, tinkly highs of modern beyer and audio technica cans

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Nice, I'm in the alentejo, odemira. The pannys are great, there are also a few mods to make them better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back