Budget CD Player, primarily for Classical Music
Dec 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

maxnorman

New Head-Fier
I've recently equipped myself with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s and a Schiit Asgard amp with the intention of primarily listening to classical music and jazz. I have yet, however, to purchase a suitable source component--a CD player capable of generating signal worthy of the 650's. 

Searching around the internet yields a few possibilities: 

NAD - C-515BEE - Compact Disc Player

Cambridge - Topaz - CD10 

Cambridge - CA350C
Marantz - CD-5004

NAD - C-545BEE

Cambridge - 550C

The trouble is that I am unable to identify and particular traits or qualities that might distinguish one of these as worth buying. Any advice?

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 7

Greetings,

I myself have a pair of Senn. HD600s, with which I use a Marantz sa8260 SA-CD player. The sa8260 is not available anymore and is hard to find, however, like you, I myself listen to a lot classical music (about 95% of my collection is classical) and I couldn't be happier with the Marantz.

With that said, I think the sa5004 would be an excellent choice, though I have not heard one myself. The only caveat, if you will, is that there are a great many classical SACDs to be found, and you might consider increasing your budget to accommodate a capable player. Marantz's current hi-fi SACD player is the sa8004 which retails for $999.99 (though a quick Google search reveals it can be had for $850), sadly well above "budget." Anyways, as always and if possible, try to audition as many players as you can, especially if you have a chance to AB them.

Cheers,
Keith

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 7
I recommend the Musical Fidelity A3 or A3.2 whichever you can find used. Even at its retail price of $999 it was a steal IMO. Can be had for around $500-$600 used. Exhibits the performance of cd players that cost thousands more IMO.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 7
Each of the 'real world' audio giants - Marantz, CA, Nad, Rotel, Sony, Denon etc - has a sweet spot somewhere between their entry-level model and their premium (read 'expensive') flagships. The confusing thing, for mine, is that you will rarely find consensus between the magazines on *which* model in each range is that elusive 'sweet spot' - What Hi-Fi seem particularly adept at granting a model which has been favourably reviewed elsewhere a mediocre rating - I guess it comes down to the need to audition every bloody thing in the universe before being able to make a decision. For me, that meant finding out that I preferred a $599 Marantz stereo receiver (FM receiver+amp) to a $999 NAD amp which had been given rave reviews elsewhere. So much of it lies in the audition environment and the way they have matched kit to loosen the grip you have on your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back