Budget Amp for a k601
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm actually looking for a good budget setup that consists of either the k601, dt770/80, or k472hd. I think I'll appreciate the dt770's, but I'm not sure they'll be suitable for classical.
I really do want to spend more, but I know a whole bunch of people who will see my spendings somehow and go double-u-tee-eff.., and honestly, I don't think I should be spending this much money in the first place, before I finish paying for college..

Will any amp around $100 provide an appreciable increase in SQ?
I'm open to all DIY and desktop models.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 4
The mini^3 would be worth looking into. Never heard it, but I've read that it has decent synergy with the K601, and it's mentioned very frequently in the $100 price range (it's a little over, I think).

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 4
I've just ordered the Sonic Impact Version 2 T amp from Parts Express. It's $50 and supposedly has class A performance. I'll be comparing it to my home setup next week.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually looking for a good budget setup that consists of either the k601, dt770/80, or k472hd. I think I'll appreciate the dt770's, but I'm not sure they'll be suitable for classical.
I really do want to spend more, but I know a whole bunch of people who will see my spendings somehow and go double-u-tee-eff.., and honestly, I don't think I should be spending this much money in the first place, before I finish paying for college..

Will any amp around $100 provide an appreciable increase in SQ?
I'm open to all DIY and desktop models.

The only amp I have tried with this can,that was certainly worth a buy for around this amount of cash is the Pro-Ject Head Box MKII.Its about 150~ new.Well worth the cash.I have tried it with many,many other amps but all are more then 100 to 150.The Project did it with authority and brought some to me needed warmth.It will win no beauty contests,but it performs very well.And yes it will provide a (to me it was large) appreciable SQ difference.Very solid build to.It oozes quality.To me the DT770 is not at all suited for classical.The AKG would do a much better job of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back