Budget $500-$600, could use help
Sep 13, 2010 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

NoKTurNal

100+ Head-Fier
I am kinda tired for looking around the net for answer, so signed up and here I am
Alright, so I am looking forward into buying a new sets of cans for Music for $500 - $600
I listen to lots of different genre of music, Electronic Music, Hip-hop, Alternative, RnB, and all sorts of stuff.

Since I do listen to lots of EM, I do want my low & high ends, a priority but I don't want to sacrifice the mids
I also use it for gaming, but that would be a bonus, so music would be a first.

I usually do everything on my computer and wanted to upgrade to something better from my stone-age cans. The sound card on my computer is avg.

Open or Semi, for extended use
If needed to power or enchant them, AMP/DAC is fine,

But Everything must be around $500-$600

Any suggestions?

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 14
A pair of Beyerdynamic DT990s would serve you well. They're similar to the 880s but with more bass, and seen as though you're into your electronic music, they would be a good choice. You need an amplifier to run them though (unless you get the 32ohm). You can get the DT990's for around $250 I think, so that would give you enough room in you budget to get a nice amp to run them through. What kind of sound card are you using atm? If it is a terrible on board sound card, you may also want a DAC to get a lot more from your head phones, as a bad source (sound card) will limit what they can do.

If that is the case, a nice amp/dac combo such as the Audio-GD FUN, which costs around $350 would do you great an fit your budget. Jope that helps!

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Thx u for fast reply
If I were to get the DT990 with an amp/dac, which version should I get?
250 or 600?
If i were to get the 32 ohms v. would there be a quality diffrence compared to the 250/600?

And also can u give me some other dac/amp so I got lots of option

Thanks

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Another DAC/Amp combo is the Audio-GD Sparrow or NuForce Icon HDP. You can find reviews around this site using the search funtion. Properly amped, the 600ohm version will probably sound the better, as well as a little more bass for your electronic music.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 14
The Denon D7000s are amazing, especially if you like bass, and sound great out of any source or amp (although they'll scale with the quality of your equipment). I would consider them - you can nab them for $600 if you try.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 14
I'd look at the Grado RS-1, used. They don't need a dedicated amp and are fine from a computer or iPod. The RS-1 is musical and lots of fun - you'll find a lot of people who love them. Another possibility might be one of the Grado HF-2 headphones being offered for sale again. Great headphones and they will be tough to find once they go out of production.

A dark horse might be the Sony MDR-SA5000. I really enjoy them, but it doesn't seem that everyone does. Do some reading and find out if they'd work for you.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 14
Go to amazon.com and grab a pair of Denon D2000's on sale now for just over two hundred bucks. 

Then google Mark Lawton and check out his webpage.   Have him do the $139 mod on your D2000's. 

Best sound for the money. 

I'm using Lawton modded D5000's - fabulous sound and super comfy.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 14
I'll start by saying that I have heard and compared exactly none of the above recommendations, so take what follows with a grain of salt.

For $500, with the proper looking, you can get a pair of Sennheiser HD650s and Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/ Amp. To me, they sound brilliantly and I know many people here would agree that the HD650s sound good with just about anything. A similar number of people will tell you that they are too dark and veiled and unexciting. That being said, you could always "go down" to an HD600, which a lot more people like, though I haven't had the chance (yet) to compare the two myself.

For the record, I bought my HD650s from thomann.de, a German music company, for approximately $322 including shipping..  It took about a week to ship to America after I paid them. (I recommend doing a bank transfer via PayPal if you do end up using them.) I got the Audinst from their home store on audinst.com for $180 including shipping, which was a four day wait as they came from Korea.

If you have long periods where you listen to music, then definitely consider comfort; I've worn my HD650s for nearly seven consecutive hours and was astounded by how comfortable they are.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 14
Ok lets say I get the Audio GD "Fun"

How would I set it up properly, if I were to buy the HD650?

Also how would I get the best out of my investment?

Sry, kinda new to the Extreme Audio , but am above average. =D

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 14
if you will be using your computer, you just have to use the usb connection from pc to the audio gd fun, select usb via input selector switch, push in line out to select headphone output, leave line in at unpushed position so you can use the built in dac,  then plug in your headphones via the headphone out
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Audio GD "Fun"
Version A or B
Differences? Experience with the version?

Which would be better for my case? (with the HD650) and my type of music

Try explain in a way I can understand, so I can know

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 14
If I were in your position (and I was) I'd buy a cheap amp/dac like the Fun and get a pair of D2000's.  If you like bass at all you'd probably enjoy the D2000's way more than the HD650's.  As for the D2000's you can always do subtractive eq with the 3k range bumped up a few DB if you find it too recessed.  The HD650's are a great phone though but it all depends on if you want a open or closed headphone.  I've owned both and overall I found the Denons to be more involving in games, movies, and music.  On the plus side you can always modify the Denons to make them better (J$ pads - $60, MarkL Mod - $20, D7000 wooden cups - $100, D5000/D7000 cable - $50). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back