BrownDog SO-8 Adapter Problems
Mar 2, 2005 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Syzygies

500+ Head-Fier
I attempted to use BrownDog's Single-to-dual Op-Amp Adapter (p/n 020302) (from Tangent's Audio Parts Shop)

020302topbot.jpg

with a pair of Burr Brown OPA627 op amps, in an Assmann Electronics Op Amp IC Socket .300 8 DIP GOLD, Digi-Key AE7313-ND.

It barely seated on my first try, enough for me to realize I preferred the AD843 sound. I now want to give the OPA627's a more extended chance, and the adapter pins don't grip at all.

I'm now have $60 in mounted op amps I can't use. I can see how this layout could clear other kinds of obstructions, but the "two on top" style they use for the Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version (p/n 021001)

021001.JPG

would have worked much better for me here. I may etch something like this in the future.

Is this a well-known gotcha! and I missed that class? What should I do?

A. I have the parts to make another Bloodwood Pimeta, this time permanently soldering the OPA627 adapters, skipping the IC sockets. If a friend doesn't prefer the Burr Brown sound, I could probably get my parts cost back on eBay?

B. Desolder the BrownDog adapter pins, solder in some longer pins?

C. Solder the assembly to another IC socket, and stack the sockets?

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Am I right in assuming that the IC on the underside was what prevented the assembly from seating? If so, could you use two 4-pin lengths of something like these as extenders?

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Is it the fact that the chip underneath prevents the adapter from penetrating far enough into the socket to fully engage the pins or is it that the diameter of the pin is too small? If you've got any pin protruding into the socket I'd try tinning the legs of the adapter to get a tighter/better fit. If the length of the pin is the issue I'd suggest getting in touch with the makers of the adapter and ask them if this has been an issue in the past. Who knows, the might send you some longer pins to try or another adapter.

To me option B or C sounds like it should work. Personally I'd double stack the sockets, it won't be the prettiest solution but in the end getting the job done is priority #1.

Good luck,

Nate

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Is it the fact that the chip underneath prevents the adapter from penetrating far enough into the socket to fully engage the pins or is it that the diameter of the pin is too small?

A bit of each, the pins are pretty skinny, but they'd seat just fine if they went deeper, which they'd do if the lower op amp weren't in the way.

I'll probably do stacked sockets if I have clearance, I'll write BrownDog first to ask advice...

Mar 2, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Would a dremel tool help. Modify the socket your putting the BD adapter into so that the chip on the bottom has room.

Mar 2, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 8
So I heard immediately back from Phil Maltby of BrownDog. They used to make these adapters with 1/8" leads. They now use 1/4" leads. I got old stock from my supplier. Old stock will work fine directly soldering to a PCB, but has this issue with IC sockets.

Anyone who intends to "roll" op amps using IC sockets should check with their supplier that they are getting the new 1/4" lead stock.

No big deal, I'll order some socket strips as was proposed.

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 8
I normally use machined 8 pin dip sockets. However while assembling my Gilmore amp i realised i didn't have any. I used 2x4pin SIP sockets instead. Asside from that leaving about 6mm under the browndog adapter it will also make it easier to remove with a screwdriver (believe me I know
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 4, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Quite easy to fix the socket to make the chips fit in..... a sharp knife and some brute force and cut out some of the plastic to make the soic fit in the middle of it, I had to do that on some of mine to get them to fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back