Suede
Radiohead
Verve
Pulp
Elastica
Supergrass
Manic Street Preachers
etc

What about the great little known groups that got lost in the shuffle.....the best of the rest?
I keep findling hidden/lesser known gems that sound great and are very cheap used.......here are a few great ones:

B00000GAGN.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg

Dodgy - Ace A's Killer B's

B000001EJB.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg

Longpigs - Sun is Often Out

B0000071WJ.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg

Mansun - Attack of Grey Lanturn

c6bc9330dca075fec40b2010.M.jpg

Echobelly - Everybodies Got One

B0000065K0.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg

Rialto - s/t

More little know gems anyone..........?

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 120
Besides several of the ones you've listed above, I also really like The Lightning Seeds and Charletans UK.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 120
Off the top of my head - not totally obscure but not up with the big sellers either:
Super Furry Animals - Radiator
Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Spiritualised - Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Saint Etienne - Good Humor

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 120
I like Echobelly's On better than the 1st one (it's a real lost Britpop treasure not a bad son on it, IMO), and I like Mansun's last two better than the first one, too.
biggrin.gif

I'll add:

1. Trash Can Sinatras-- Cake, I've Seen Everything, A Happy Pocket and the latest Weightlifting

2. Does Primal Scream count as Brit-Pop? Probably not but I'll throw them out there anyway.

3. Does Spiritualized count? Them too.

4. Belle and Sebastian?

5. Denim. No one over here knows about this guy, started in a so-so indy group called felt, went Brit-Pop in the 90's and made two incredible albums, Back In Denim and the even better Denim On Ice. Seek these out! They are rare and expesnive but oh so worth it.

6. The La's-- self-titled.

7. Charlatans UK. Not worth owning a single album for me, but there's a *killer* comp called Melting Pot

8. Black Grape-- remnants of the Happy Mondays made a classic before also imploding called It's Great When You're Straight. As good as the Mondays at their peak.

9. Black Box Recorder. Luke Haines of the Auteurs and some other guy plus the ultra sexy Sarah Nixey cooing their twisted, dark, spiteful socially observant, satirical and sly songs with their sites set on bougeois suburban life. Fantastic stuff, all 3 albums well worth having if you like a touch of subversion with your Britpop.

10. James. Fantastic band, all albums are excellent.

11. Kitchens of Distinction. Maybe more "dream pop", but whatever. Their album Strange Free World is mind-bogglingly beautiful, one of my all-time faves.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 120
Quote:

Saint Etienne - Good Humor

Another good call, but I like their later more proggy stuff even better.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I'll add:
1. Trash Can Sinatras-- Cake, I've Seen Everything, A Happy Pocket and the latest Weightlifting

Just got used copy of Cake for $4........been wanting to try this
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Just got used copy of Cake for $4........been wanting to try this
tongue.gif

My favorite tracks on that are:

Obscurity Knocks
Circling the Circumference
Only Tongues Can Tell

Great songs!

Since people are throwing in Belle & Sebatian, I'm going to toss out Travis then as another great English band of the late 90's (not sure if either qualifies as Britpop though).

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 120
I forgot about James - Laid in particular is great.
The Las is a one off classic and should be in everyones collection - excellent choice!
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point is a good 90s release, but 2000s XTRMNTR is even better.
Have to disagree about the Charlatans sorry - Tellin' Stories in particular is a good one in my opinion. I think they remain underrated.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
I forgot about James - Laid in particular is great.

Have to disagree about the Charlatans sorry - Tellin' Stories in particular is a good one in my opinion. I think they remain underrated.

B000007Q8H.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

James - Best Of
Agree with others about James, they have fabulous 18 track collection, essential Britpop!

Charlatans
I really only like first two albums (Some Friendly etc) when they were influenced by Stone Roses "madchester" style.

It won't be long till Bong makes his post here..............
k1000smile.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 120
How bout Nu Great CD... they had that song Any Other Girl on the American Wedding soundtrack.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 120
If you include The Verve, does that leave the gate open for me to suggest:

Ride
Lush
Pale Saints
Chapterhouse
Boo Radleys
Moose

even.. *gasp* My Bloody Valentine?

I guess my imaginary line between Britpop and Shoegazer is.. does it sound like they're trying to be the Beatles? If yes, then Britpop, if not, then 'gazer or something else.. of course, the Boos kind of fall into both camps.. they're definately Britgazer, or .. Shoepop.. lol.

I see that Teenage Fanclub, James and the Kitchens have been mentioned..

can't think of anyone else right now..

-jar

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 120
Of course that would technically disqualify Teenage Fanclub as well, who really want to be Big Star rather than the Beatles. So if Teenage Fanclub is a contender for the most American Brit band, that leads us to the obvious question as to who is the most Brit-poppish American group. Any obscure gems from the other side of the Atlantic out there?

Come to think of it - after listening to the new Big Star it might be better for the quality control if they tried to be a little more like Teenage Fanclub.
eek.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
that leads us to the obvious question as to who is the most Brit-poppish American group. Any obscure gems from the other side of the Atlantic out there?

Ocean Blue

Great band from Pennsylvania (but you'd think they're from Manchester)! Saw them when they were playing at Columbia University and skipped studying for my finals that afternoon and again a couple of years ago at a small club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back