British Fascination of Grados
Jul 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

linuxid10t

500+ Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Lurking around Head-Fi for a while, you tend to notice which users like particular brands and headphones.  Interestingly enough, when looking for headphones, it seems a lot of the British bunch here is fascinated by Grado headphones.  I just don't get why someone would pay so much for what they get.  For the American price, Grados tend to be a pretty good deal.  However, the price of said Grados in Britain is extremely inflated.  For example, on Amazon UK right now, a pair of SR80i headphones goes for 104.99 pounds, while on Amazon.com, they go for $99.00.  Converted to American dollars, a pair of SR80is in Britain costs $169.08.  Just saying, that is a hell of a mark up.  Anyone else's opinions?
[/size]

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm also kind of surprised that the British are going after the Grado sound.  If one takes a look at the British speakers, their sound tends to be a bit less revealing in the upper frequencies.  Though, there is a brand that's starting to change that perception - Monitor Audio.  However, I suspect a big portion of the following for the Grado brand stems from their options for so many upgrade options that one can perform to essentially build their own unique set of headphones.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 6
We in Britain are used to being ripped off.  :D Pretty much anything you buy equates in price to USD regardless of the conversion rate. If it costs $100 across the pond it will be £100 or more. Kinda sucks but short of moving there isn't much you can do about it!

Even buying from the states you are liable to be hit with import tax which negates most of your saving.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 6
I am just saying, Grados (as opposed to say, Sennheisers or Beyers) are extremely inflated price wise.  It is more than just prices being higher.  It just makes it even more interesting that the British seem to like them more than the Americans who pay nearly half the price...

Quote:
We in Britain are used to being ripped off.  :D Pretty much anything you buy equates in price to USD regardless of the conversion rate. If it costs $100 across the pond it will be £100 or more. Kinda sucks but short of moving there isn't much you can do about it!

Even buying from the states you are liable to be hit with import tax which negates most of your saving.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I am just saying, Grados (as opposed to say, Sennheisers or Beyers) are extremely inflated price wise.  It is more than just prices being higher.  It just makes it even more interesting that the British seem to like them more than the Americans who pay nearly half the price...

Correct.  But, you really can't modify a pair of Sennheisers or Beyers like you can a pair of Grados.  Look at all the wooden and aluminum cup options for Grado.  Also, consider all the ear pad choices.  While the initial cost is higher, I think people like the option of being able to modify them if they so desire.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 6
I wish I had the guts to mod my Grados, just too afraid to damage them though.  Would really like some more bass and slam...

Quote:
Correct.  But, you really can't modify a pair of Sennheisers or Beyers like you can a pair of Grados.  Look at all the wooden and aluminum cup options for Grado.  Also, consider all the ear pad choices.  While the initial cost is higher, I think people like the option of being able to modify them if they so desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back