Brief Odac impressions
Jul 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #466 of 2,018
Quote:

Yeah, those two and a few others are just resellers putting the product in a different chassis.  It's not like they designed the JDSLabs O2 or EHP-O2 either.

There's only actually one source of populated PCBs—which are not trivial to produce, considering that the whole thing is SMT parts.  Making them in small quantities would be cost-prohibitive.  The resellers just buy the boards from that source, which of course doesn't deal with individual customers and single orders.

Quote:

From a certain blog on the interwebs, there seems on only be one version of the board available, since they mass produced it.

I see. Thank you both! Can you tell me about more sources for these ODAC's, apart from JDSLabs and Epiphany Acoustics? I guess that info must be in the last 30 pages, but you could save me the trouble... 
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #467 of 2,018
Jul 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #468 of 2,018
In the European market there is head n head fi however JDS labs one is the cheapest.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #471 of 2,018
first fast impression:
I get my ODAC two days ago, so this is not full review.
My older DAC/AMP is Aune USB mini DAC MK2 SE upgraded with OP627 (2x2pcs on dual adapter) - powered by 12V power supply.
ODAC was powered from USB and from "line out" connected by coaxial cables to Line IN of AUNE.
Headphones - Sennheiser HD650
Music for testing was in FLAC an 24/96 (mostly audiophile records from Chesky and other good labels)

1. Space in records is similar - ODAC has little bit bigger sustain and wider stage (approx +10%)

2. Bass - ODAC has more precise lower tones, perfect defined, without bluring and enhancement (ODAC 15% better)
    (amount of bass is perfect for my HD650 - maybe some people with more "flat" headphones, like AKG701 can feel lack of bass)

3. Middle - ODAC has better definition, specialy in lower middle spectrum. Instruments has better location and i feel they are more "real". Same situation is with male voices. (ODAC 25% better)

4. High - perfect neutral sound without any interferences or distortion. Even in my HD650 which are little bit high lacking i can now hear more details than with Aune. (ODAC 20% better)

Overall - perfect device for 100USD, very neutral and detailed sounding.
I belive there can be bigger difference in sound with some better headamp than the one in AUNE.
I have my DIY   A classs opamp free amp - Dispre 2  from czech builder Pavel Macura so i will post some AUNE and ODAC comparsion with this amp later.
I also have USB isolator and  Very low noise power supply from Per-Anders Sjostrom for powering the ODAC.
Now I´m waiting for box to combine all this part together.

And sorry for my english -  it´s not my first language.

Michal

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #472 of 2,018
Quote:
Thanks guys! Great info... 
wink.gif

Yoyodyne Consulting is actually the source of the ODAC boards, the rest are resellers who also integrate the boards into appropriate casings.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #473 of 2,018
I'm having a few annoying glitches with my ODAC, I use it with ASIO4All and Foobar2000. I have it connected to the computer through a short USB cable with ferrite, I leave the ODAC hooked up to the computer 24/7 however most of times when I start Foobar and I press play the output dialogue box pops up and I have to select DS:ODAC in order to be able to play, also the master volume drops to 50% (half) every time this happens. Sometimes even if I just stop Foobar and leave the computer unattended for a while, when I come back to it I have to select the ODAC again.

Another issue that might be unrelated is occasionally when I skip a song I hear a loud popping noise which I did not use to hear before using my DACport with ASIO4All. By the way I'm running Windows XP SP3 32bit. Cheers

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #475 of 2,018
Quote:
I'm having a few annoying glitches with my ODAC, I use it with ASIO4All and Foobar2000. I have it connected to the computer through a short USB cable with ferrite, I leave the ODAC hooked up to the computer 24/7 however most of times when I start Foobar and I press play the output dialogue box pops up and I have to select DS:ODAC in order to be able to play, also the master volume drops to 50% (half) every time this happens. Sometimes even if I just stop Foobar and leave the computer unattended for a while, when I come back to it I have to select the ODAC again.

Another issue that might be unrelated is occasionally when I skip a song I hear a loud popping noise which I did not use to hear before using my DACport with ASIO4All. By the way I'm running Windows XP SP3 32bit. Cheers

DS:ODAC means your signal is going through the windows mixer.

Install WASAPI for foobar and configure it for WASAPI instead.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #476 of 2,018
Quote:
DS:ODAC means your signal is going through the windows mixer.

Install WASAPI for foobar and configure it for WASAPI instead.

I don't think XP supports WASAPI.  I think that's only Vista and Win7.  Anyone feel free to chime in and correct me if that's inaccurate.

Isn't there a separate section for ASIO controls in Foobar2000?

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #477 of 2,018
For XP, there is Kernel Streaming option to bypass the internal mixer as well.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #478 of 2,018
ASIO4all is just a wrapper, it really has no benefit except for compatibility in some situations. It still goes through the windows mixer. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #479 of 2,018
Quote:

do the songs have different rates?  I heard a clicking on a preveious DAC sometimes and it was from the DAC switching between different resolution files.  It mellowed out after a while.  not sure that helps at all though.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #480 of 2,018
I just ordered one of these from JDS.

I'm using an HRT MS2 now. In the past I had owned some $1000 DACs like the benchmark or isabellina but never really felt that their price offered enough of an upgrade over stuff like the ms2+ (or even the ms2, to be honest)

I figure if the odac can come close to dac1 performance for under 200 bucks, then ill be set for the long term.

They're back ordered but I suppose I'm part of the late July / early August shipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back