Brief Odac impressions
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #61 of 2,018
Quote:
That is probably a safe assumption, yes.  However, its only $100, so might as well try and if you can't tell a discernable difference sell it to someone else who wants it.

I get the impression from this thread that the ODAC is better than the HRT MSII and maybe on par with the HRT MSII+ and i've also read that the HRT MSII is an improvement over the Fiio E17 so i guess my ideal upgrade would be the ODAC. Too bad i didn't get to test it out =/ the guy who runs Audio Poutine lives in my area and he had a DIY meet that i couldn't goto =(

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #62 of 2,018
The noise floor is awesome on it. My E10 had a fair bit of USB noise. None with the ODAC.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #64 of 2,018
Does anyone know what is the lead time for an assembled standalone ODAC from JDS Labs? While the boards are in production, has JDS started shipping it with the case?

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #66 of 2,018
can you give me some comparison between fiio e10 and odac?

The only thing I can say for sure without blind testing etc is that the USB noise I heard on the E10 is not there with the ODAC. Otherwise, I can just say it sounds fantastic.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #67 of 2,018
Couldn't quite tell from the pictures on the JDS labs site, but is the standalone ODAC built with 1/4" or 1/8" output?

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #68 of 2,018
Quote:
Couldn't quite tell from the pictures on the JDS labs site, but is the standalone ODAC built with 1/4" or 1/8" output?

It's 1/8".

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #70 of 2,018
I've got about 40 hours on mine. Some brief, preliminary impressions: detailed, black background, neutral, tight bass.
I've owned the HRT MSii and the MSii+ (2nd rounded version). The Odac is definitely better than the MSii and as good or better than the MSii+.

A/Bing the two I couldn't tell them easily apart, probably could not in a blind test. Given this I sold my MSii+.

The odac has my vote for the best bang for your buck in a usb dac.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #71 of 2,018
Quote:
yes, i received mine with the standalone case a few days ago

Maybe you ordered early?
I ordered on the 3rd, haven't received any shipping info yet. I think they'll ship in ordering sequence.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #74 of 2,018
Quote:
sure. not too much lighting in my room but heres the best i could capture

What?!?, why does the ODAC case ended up longer than the O2?
It should have been like half that size since the ODAC board is much smaller than the O2 board.

Below is an image of the ODAC standalone prototype posted over at DIYaudio forum:

The case you've got looks way too long.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #75 of 2,018
JDSLabs is using the case for their c421 amp because it just happens to be the right size (other than length).  I believe they may be eventually offering a smaller version at some point, but I am sure this helped them to keep the cost lower for the early batches of them, either that or they couldn't get a custom one created/ordered in time or in enough quantity to cover the preorders.  They say they are going to talk about this in a future blog post, so really the second sentence is just my logical conjecture.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back