Brief Odac impressions
Jan 6, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,786 of 2,018

Thanks! Is it safe to assume the S3 should be able to give it the same amount of power? Does using the ODAC with the Note 3 drain your battery a lot faster?

Sorry, I'm unpackaging as I moved the day before yesterday, so it takes me a while till I can answer. I would say it's going to work no problem with the S3.

Using any usb DAC in your phone makes it to drain quite fast. I don't think I have any records of that but I will have them at some point during this week. I sold the combo a month ago because I needed the money back, but I am ordering a new one today or tomorrow. I still have two O2+ODAC combos to be assembled some time this week.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #1,787 of 2,018

Sorry, I'm unpackaging as I moved the day before yesterday, so it takes me a while till I can answer. I would say it's going to work no problem with the S3.

Using any usb DAC in your phone makes it to drain quite fast. I don't think I have any records of that but I will have them at some point during this week. I sold the combo a month ago because I needed the money back, but I am ordering a new one today or tomorrow. I still have two O2+ODAC combos to be assembled some time this week.

Thanks, and no problems with the reply times! Looks like I'll still have to find the proper cable, even if it works, as I'd like to minimize charging cycles on my phone. Although it only really gets hot if I'm charging while it's in its case with WiFi running.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,788 of 2,018
Thanks, and no problems with the reply times! Looks like I'll still have to find the proper cable, even if it works, as I'd like to minimize charging cycles on my phone. Although it only really gets hot if I'm charging while it's in its case with WiFi running.

Really? It gets that hot? That's weird... anyways, no worries about charging cycles. There are two reasons for this: 1) Batteries are dirt cheap, 2) Microcycles at 100%, when you leave it plugged with full battery, are much worse than just one cycle between 20 and 80% (just in lithium-ion batteries).

Regarding the cable, there are several options. Toxic Cables used to sell one. I think Fiio and JDS labs do as well.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,789 of 2,018
Really? It gets that hot? That's weird... anyways, no worries about charging cycles. There are two reasons for this: 1) Batteries are dirt cheap, 2) Microcycles at 100%, when you leave it plugged with full battery, are much worse than just one cycle between 20 and 80% (just in lithium-ion batteries)

Really hot, especially if I'm using LTE instead of WiFi, and also still warms up while charging with the case on and the phone running (if I'm not expecting calls I charge while it's powered down). And yeah I know batteries last longer nowadays (any reduction in batt life since new is more attributable to more apps running than battery wear), but I'm planning on keeping the phone indefinitely, what with the S4 suddenly losing native USB Audio support and I'm not yet set on whether I should get a dedicated music server. And batteries aren't all that cheap; the cheap ones I see on eBay and Amazon are knock-offs with bad reviews.

In any case the other reason to not use the S3's battery for the ODAC really is because I already have a powerbank for it, with enough capacity to charge the S3 from 40% to full twice over, so using it to power a DAC at home (avoiding additional heat and cycles on the S3 in the process) would be convenient and I just need to find the right cable for it.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,791 of 2,018
I fancied the Icy Box models. Not too expensive and looks good on the table too!
http://goo.gl/Z9BlNl

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,793 of 2,018
  Any difference in SQ when using it?

Digital is digital so no. The external power supply of the hub prevents the occasional disconnects and signal losses from happening though. The 'charging port' also comes in handy with just quickly charging the phone or pad etc.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,794 of 2,018
Here goes nothing, sadly (for my own sake) ODAC as a source for my 627x provides a much more satisfying presentation than my AK120. The top end has much more detailing and the lower end is might tighter. 

Perhaps AK120 might shine on occasion but as a DAC alone (ignoring its DAP functionality) I cannot see why one would pick AK120 over ODAC considering the price difference. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,795 of 2,018
Here goes nothing, sadly (for my own sake) ODAC as a source for my 627x provides a much more satisfying presentation than my AK120. The top end has much more detailing and the lower end is might tighter. 

Perhaps AK120 might shine on occasion but as a DAC alone (ignoring its DAP functionality) I cannot see why one would pick AK120 over ODAC considering the price difference. 

LOL! Didn't read that. That's good to know. I've never been a fan of DAPs though but now you can even consider selling the DAP and just work with and O2+ODAC with the batteries kept. :rolleyes:

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,797 of 2,018
Try not using your cans for a week or so, then go back and re-listen to your "stuff" its amazing on how you grow tired of what you once thought was really outstanding and amazing!!..

I did this with 4 sets of headphones and amps and found all of them really good for the most part....

Staying with one set of anything seems great but humans often tire and wander about looking for perfection when they already have it!!

LOL.

A.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,798 of 2,018
I've finally hooked speakers up to my vintage Pioneer SX-750 and of course I'm using my ODAC with my laptop as the source. The ODAC continues to impress me. It does good with headphones, and it does well with my speakers as well. No surprise of course.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,799 of 2,018
Those older AVR's are really neat to me as well....some of the most awesome AVR's were mase in the 70's that you just do not find around anymore....

Glad your liking the ODAC..

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back