Breathability: on-ear, or over ear with velour?
Jul 1, 2023 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thee avid

New Head-Fier
I am trying to find some breathable < $200 studio headphones I can wear for mixing for 2-3 hours at a time. I want closed headphones, to block out air conditioner/street noise, etc.

I have been going through reviews on RTINGS.com, which has a breathability score (very helpful). Their research suggests that on-ears are more breathable.
At first I thought on-ears would then be my solution, so I got some ATH-M60x cans. Now I question whether on-ears are any more breathable, because I experience the heat and discomfort in my ear canals. That part of the ear is still sealed over with closed on-ear headphones.

What do you think, are on ears worth messing around with, if breathability is the goal, or does an over-ear with velour pads come out about the same/better?

Feel free to throw any recommendations at me.

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 4
Interesting question. Velour/suede is definitely more breathable than protein/leather for me. Regarding on ear vs open ear, it depends on the clamp.

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Good point, regarding the clamp. That tighter clamp might be a reason why the ATH-M60x don't necessarily feel cooler to my ears than the ATH-M50x.

I did some more research. Curious about the Sennheiser HD 569.

I also wonder if perforated earpads increase cooling.

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 4
I picked up a pair of Brainwavs perforated oval pads and put them on a pair of ATH-SR30BT, they did wonders for the breathability and comfort.
I have no way of knowing if the perforations helped to cool them. It seems like thicker pads and thus a larger chamber of air around the ears is helpful.

Feel free to share if you have any recommendations of pad/headphone combos for breathability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back