breaking in a headset?
Dec 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 8
Break in also referred to as 'burn in' is something not all Head-Fi-members agree on. If you want to find different methods do some searches.

You can let you music play softly for 10 hours, loud is an option too. There are other options like pink noise, line sweeps you can apply variation in sounds, volume, duration and so on... 

In my experience it is better to first listen closely with some of your favourite music and after apply break in/burn in and if there is an audible difference after break in/burn in there is a difference. Again using your favourite music is a good point of reference after burn in. The audio set up in which you burn an audio component, for example a headphone can make a difference so remembering the audio set up may be important.

Now please read up and do some searches for there is an abundance of information and stories as to how burn in/burning in audio components had or did not have effect. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Easier way:
  • Listen to some favourite tracks, remember the audio set up;
  • Start burn in, usually music for bass, definition, detail and highs and set a time duration, remember the audio set up;
  • Feedback, initial burn in is done, listen to your favourite tracks on your first audio set up again;
  • Are you satisfied then it is up to you to be content with the sound and use your 'headset'; 
  • You can always break in/burn in through daily use...
I sometimes use the Isotek disc. 

"Easier way...", sometimes you have to face the linguistic confusion on Head-Fi (and that is just the start).

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 8
There is,,! You just plug them in and put them on.Maybe leave them on the radio all night,if you feel you must.That is the most i have ever done,can't say i have heard any difference over the months.A change of amp is the only thing i found makes a difference.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 8
Burn them in on your head :wink:. But seriously, tests don't show one millimeter of movement on the charts with the same pair of headphones fresh and after hundreds of hours of burn-in. However your mindset and psychology can influence your thinking and how you feel. Your feelings can influence your thinking. So basically, I'm not a believer and personally I would just keep listening to them. I think the burn-in period is just an adjustment period for you and your ears.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 8
There is no definitive proof that break in exists. Have you ever heard someone say that headphones sound worse after break in? I have listened to at least 8 pairs of phones and not noticed much of a difference. Enjoy your phones and don't worry about it. Leave break-in to the golden ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back