Break-In without an amp
Sep 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gbacic

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,

This is my first thread and this will be my first audiophile purchase.
I'm planning on setting up a system with AKG k702's, some DIY accessories (natural crossfeed, acoustic simulator, etc) a DAC and a tube amp (Little dot mkIII) or a SS amp (heed).
Since I don't have the money right now to buy all the equipment at one time I have this question:

Is it possible to break in K70x's with just the line out from a computer (I have a Mac Pro 2009) or the headphone jack from a surround sound receiver?

I know the sound would be no where near the potential of the k70x's but I cannot afford all the other equipment right now and it would be great to have them broken in for when I do get the other components.

Thanks
k701smile.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 15
Awesome, means I can replace my sennheiser HDR 126 quicker than expected

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 15
But they won't be irreparably changed, right?

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 15
Ummmm, I intend to listen to them while breaking them in, but during the night I'm going to leave them.
And I expect them to last years

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ummmm, I intend to listen to them while breaking them in, but during the night I'm going to leave them.
And I expect them to last years

That's what I do also. Letting your cans burn in overnight for a few days is not going to materially shorten their life.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 15
How about you read the stickied burn-in faq.

We really mean what it says there. Even if you ask again.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 15
Assuming, of course, that there's anything to burn-in.

I've never bothered with burn-in. I simply plug them in and listen. I'd recommend doing the same. No pair has ever sounded bad out of the box and in a few years here, I've never once seen someone complain about poorly burned-in headphones. With all the yammering about techniques and styles, you'd think someone would have screwed it up by now. Apparently, that hasn't happened.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 15
I've read the burn in faq but it wasn't too clear about the need for an amp while burning them in.

I don't expect them to sound bad, but I do think they may improve when they're burned in.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read the burn in faq but it wasn't too clear about the need for an amp while burning them in.

I don't expect them to sound bad, but I do think they may improve when they're burned in.

from the time you remove them from the box, to the time they are properly burnt in you will hear noticeable differences, i listen for short periods as i burn in, it kinda like watching your child grow, there are always from my experience, changes that occur. and i do the same, mine get placed on my source for a minimum of 4-5 days before really listening to them, my best example was an almost kept pair of denon 1001's they sound so bad out of box, unfortunately after around 70-80 hours of burn in they still had horrible balance, soundstage, the sibilance decreased, but i could tell it would always be there, so i returned them as fast as i could get them in the box, but until my ultra desktop arrived i burnt my rs1i's in using my macbook pro 2009 using the usb, and it worked very very well.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #15 of 15
I would go with the SS amp over the tube amp because of the low impedence design of the k70x series. I was looking at the LD mk III from someone here on head fi and they were selling their mkIII since it didn't work well with their k701s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back