Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods.
Feb 6, 2014 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 172

Didhefocus

Head-Fier
I thought the "Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps" was too long, unfocused and confusing, covering all 3 Versions plus the Ocean. So I thought it would be nice to start new ones focusing on each.

I'll start by showing the defects mine had when it first arrived.

Sloppy resistor mounting.

Tarnished chrome posts.

Tube opening not centered.

RCA jacks tilted up.

Loose heat sink screws. All were loose but this one was barely holding on! Luckily I caught this almost right away.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 172
I posted a mini review in the other Bravo thread here post #2402 so I won't repeat it. I will show how I bypassed the EQ.

The EQ was bypassed by simply tapping in to the input resistors of the amp section. The EQ was still functional using the 2 normal inputs.
Sound quality was tremendously improved.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 172
I wanted to hear if it made any difference if I not only bypassed the EQ, but also removed it from the circuit completely. It was actually a more elegant solution but I lose the ability to compare the amp with and without the EQ. The next step is to install a sub micro DPDT switch to disable and enable the EQ. I'll install that as soon as I find the right place to mount the switch, but that may be a while since I'm enjoying my amp so much the way it is now!

First the input resistors were lifted to bypass the output of the EQ. 
Then installed a 2 conductor wire from the resistors to the RCA inputs.

To keep the EQ circuit from affecting the sound in any way, I removed the caps shown at the EQ's input also.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 172
hey my bravo v3 had a tilted tube connector so the tube was not centered, but it still works fine and it's just a small cosmetic thing. the colors of the rca inputs are swapped, but i think that might be a china thing - still works.

don't have any of the other problems that you have. i think you just got unlucky and got a bad quality one. mine sounds pretty sweet. no sound problems at all.

only complaint is that the bravo v3 has no shielding so like if your phone has data connection on nearby, it introduces distortion into the sound. hahah kinda a cute feature that let's me know when i get a sms, because at home i'm always connected to wifi until i receive a text message.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 172
  hey my bravo v3 had a tilted tube connector so the tube was not centered, but it still works fine and it's just a small cosmetic thing. the colors of the rca inputs are swapped, but i think that might be a china thing - still works.

don't have any of the other problems that you have. i think you just got unlucky and got a bad quality one. mine sounds pretty sweet. no sound problems at all.

only complaint is that the bravo v3 has no shielding so like if your phone has data connection on nearby, it introduces distortion into the sound. hahah kinda a cute feature that let's me know when i get a sms, because at home i'm always connected to wifi until i receive a text message.

Yeah all were easily fixable cosmetic defects except for the loose screws. The only reason it makes a difference is that it's a clear, open design meant to look cool. All that stuff just makes it less cool. I didn't even mention all the smudges and fingerprints it had on and under the clear cover right out of the box.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 172
I just "won" a couple of NOS 6DJ8 tubes on ebay (lone bidder) so I'm going to try a little "tube rolling". I know they're the worst of the group that are compatible with the 6922, but they were cheap enough at $13.22 shipped. Besides I've read that the only difference is that the 6DJ8 is supposed to last only 2500 hours or so when the 6922 should go about 5000. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 172
I don't equalise at all, but then I am mainly Jazz and Classical. Found Mullard, Bugle Boy and Tesla very good- and can't hear any difference between 6922, ECC88 and 6DJ8. Only problem with Mullard is they seem to take a couple of hours to get really sweet. Discovered yesterday that the Russian 6N27P work in the V3. Very smooth and clear, maybe too smooth for Rock but great for vocals and instrumental. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 172
  Yeah all were easily fixable cosmetic defects except for the loose screws. The only reason it makes a difference is that it's a clear, open design meant to look cool. All that stuff just makes it less cool. I didn't even mention all the smudges and fingerprints it had on and under the clear cover right out of the box.

lol... I think you got a used semi-defective one. Mine was perfectly fine, no fringerprints or smudges outta box.

Hi guys. Can you share what eq setting you use on your v3? Thanks

No EQ settings. All sliders in mid position. Not sure whether mid or low or high is the right setting, but too lazy to move it.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 172
  lol... I think you got a used semi-defective one. Mine was perfectly fine, no fringerprints or smudges outta box.

No EQ settings. All sliders in mid position. Not sure whether mid or low or high is the right setting, but too lazy to move it.

The top position is no equaliser filter operative. I had to email to find out. No way you could know this intuitively.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 172
The top position is no equaliser filter operative. I had to email to find out. No way you could know this intuitively.

Cld you post the email response u got on here? Thxs lol. That's kinda weird for the top setting to b unEQed... What if you want to boost smtg hahah

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 172
Cld you post the email response u got on here? Thxs lol. That's kinda weird for the top setting to b unEQed... What if you want to boost smtg hahah

Yeah, kind of difficult to boost anything. I don't have the email as I delete my inbox every 6 months or so but it came from Shenzhen Audio who I bought the Bravo from. I think it's described as a  'passive' equaliser, whatever that means. LOL!

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 172

Actually not really that weird. It's a passive circuit so all you can do is cut the frequencies. Boosting is effectively accomplished by cutting the frequencies that you don't want to boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back