Bravo Audio Ocean amplifier
Mar 18, 2013 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

anthonycarbajal

New Head-Fier
I'm simply looking for the audiophile community's overall opinion on the compact Bravo Audio Ocean tube amplifier. I've only owned portable amplifiers and they, while convenient, make me feel as if I could appreciate my music on an even deeper level with a proper power source. The Ocean amp is within my usual price range and not at all space-consuming. I currently use Audio-technica's signature ATH-M50 headphones, which don't take much power to run. However, I was hoping to save up (being barely 16 years old and without a job) for home-use-only Sennheiser HD 600's. All in all, how would the HD's fare when paired up with the Bravo Ocean?

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 11
This guy reviewed it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKSpufu42jk) and he liked it with his AKG702's, Sennheisers (doesn't say which), Beyers, and said it powered them all well. Also, from what I've heard, compared to the other Bravo Audio amplifiers, this one is very neutral sounding. I don't know if you'll hear much improvement on your current M50's, but if you get it, let me know what you think.

Stats of the Bravo Audio Ocean is here: http://bravoaudio.com/Bravo%20Ocean.html
And it looks like it should be fine powering the HD600's as the output impedance goes up to 600Ohm.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 11
HD600's are forgiving with amplification, always check the reviews section. Do a quick search on the forum next time
http://www.head-fi.org/products/bravo-audio-ocean/reviews

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 11
The Bravo Audio Ocean do have a little v signature but not much, this is with the stock tube though. I have paired the amp with DT880, HE400, Mad Dog and AKGk702. With all of them it has been more than powerful enough and it sounds really good with all of them, though the higs was abit to much for my liking on the k702. You also have the possibilty to change the internal components to improve the amp if that is your desire ofc.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 11
Ocean is deniable sounded the same with V2, share same flaw and same similarities, get V2 if budget wise, and diy it.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 11
The Bravo Audio Ocean do have a little v signature but not much, this is with the stock tube though. I have paired the amp with DT880, HE400, Mad Dog and AKGk702. With all of them it has been more than powerful enough and it sounds really good with all of them, though the higs was abit to much for my liking on the k702. You also have the possibilty to change the internal components to improve the amp if that is your desire ofc.

hey mate, hoping you could help me out. What ohmage dt880 did you try it with? adn did it introduce clarity in teh bass and tam the sibilance? thanks.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 11
HONESTLY, I owned the Indeed G3 which is VERY comparable with the Bravo Audio Tubes

That said, I liked the sound hated the build quality of the Indeed, the same can be said of the Bravo. They all cost about the same, designed the same all in all the same

I would go with the Garage 127 model OR the Schiit Vali, I've got a Vali in bound so I'll let you know how it sounds

IF you interested in Tube Rolling and Modding then the Bravo and Indeed are EXCELLENT choices, if you just want to try a tube and not mess with it. I'd go with the Vali, and very lastly.

The Garage 1217 is like a Super Modded Bravo? I've not heard them but imo they are really expensive...

Lastly there is the Little Dot MK 1+ that would also be a great intro to tubes, the I+ like the Garage can be Tube rolled but I wouldn't mod it

Either way, I'd avoid the Bravo unless you want to do custom mods to it your self :3, And if you want to mod it. They are pretty awesome, but again if u just want to Roll tubes or just TRY a tube [I rolled like one pair of tubes into my G3] I sould go with the Vali if ur not rolling, and the Little Dot MK I+ for just Tube Rolling

Oh wow some one dug this up and liked it 4 years later!!!!!!!!!

I can say, I LOVE my Garage 1217 amps, the Starlight was great and the Ember II is as well, additionally I also still have a Vali 1, so my recommendation of it stands.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 11
Project Sunrise II/Horizon are based on the same design as bravo but nothing else is the same. It is like comparing the real beta22 to a Chinese beta22 clone, everything is different and the sound quality isn't even in the same price ballpark. Just like cheap millet amps cost $100 while expensive ones cost more than $500, the quality is as different as comparing magni to lyr, $100 to $500.

Project Ember and Starlight are based on different designs and have got nothing to do with the bravo, the designs and everything are different from ground up. No relation other than the fact that all use a single tube, that is it.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Project Sunrise II/Horizon are based on the same design as bravo but nothing else is the same. It is like comparing the real beta22 to a Chinese beta22 clone, everything is different and the sound quality isn't even in the same price ballpark. Just like cheap millet amps cost $100 while expensive ones cost more than $500, the quality is as different as comparing magni to lyr, $100 to $500.

Project Ember and Starlight are based on different designs and have got nothing to do with the bravo, the designs and everything are different from ground up. No relation other than the fact that all use a single tube, that is it.

Good to know, I'm still opposed to the open design of the chasis. It's stupid no matter how you look at it

but yea, avoid the Bravos. Get a LItle Dot, a Garage 127 or a Schiit vali. There are much better products in that price range 

and by better, i'm talking purely build quality. I owned a cheap Millet and Indeed G3. Both broke in about 6 months, and I paid about $120 for each on... sonically at the time with my oDac they where enjoyable enough. But again if u want to mod get a bravo

If you want a hit and quit amp [set it on ur desk and ENJOY] AVOID Bravo and Indeed 

I heard there was a Grarage 127 amp on a US demo Circuit... I never found out if this was confirmed. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 11
Build quality of bravo is terrible I agree.

Yea, non the less. Go for a Little Dot if you want to try rolling some tubes! The LD MK 1+ usually goes for around $100 used. I've heard a lot of positive things about thier warrenty service as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back