Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Feb 4, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #1,426 of 2,720

Unless you "air wire" something better in, you are stuck with the Alps RK097 form factor...

FWIW, my volume control has never given my any problem.

Quote:
I've read through most of these pages at one point or another and don't remember if anyone has dealt with upgrading the volume knob. I remember reading about issues regarding it and commenting about it, but it has really started to bug me. Its less an issue via MP3 player where I can adjust things with the players volume more, but listening to vinyl, I have volume balance issues and just plain noise if I don't get the pot to the right place.

Is there a cheap, easy to install upgrade to replace the volume pot with something better?

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,427 of 2,720
Your lucky then. It really didn't start bothering me till recently. It was always dropping sound out in one channel or another when adjusting the volume, but recently I realized if I don't position it just so, when I pause whatever I listen to, there is potentiometer induced noise present in one or both channels. Again it is less issue with a source with its own volume control (ie DAP), but listening to vinyl, something I do a lot, its kind of annoying sometimes.

Maybe I'll have to look into a replacement Alps unit, or buy a few and see which sounds best.

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,428 of 2,720
Having done all the mods with listening sessions in between, in terms of impact on sound quality my top 3 is:

1/ Supplying tube filament heater with own power supply. Takes the amp to a new level, adding resolution , clarity, power and significantly reduces the noise floor. HARD
2/ Adding cathode bias bypass caps (Overall improvement, esp. better highs). VERY EASY
3/ Changing output caps to higher value and better quality (Adds bass, bass extension). EASY

The effect of other mods (input cap, regulated power supply, ..) are more subtle to spot.
Tube rolling is the icing on the cake, of course.

So adding cathode bias bypass caps is a good place to start, mind the polarity 
wink_face.gif

Good luck!

Feb 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #1,429 of 2,720
To be honest, I don´t really like this tube amp. I prefer my solid state BCL. I think I´m going to sell the au17 indeed g2 (dale resistors) version.

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #1,430 of 2,720

Awesome! Thanks! 
Quote:
Having done all the mods with listening sessions in between, in terms of impact on sound quality my top 3 is:

1/ Supplying tube filament heater with own power supply. Takes the amp to a new level, adding resolution , clarity, power and significantly reduces the noise floor. HARD
2/ Adding cathode bias bypass caps (Overall improvement, esp. better highs). VERY EASY
3/ Changing output caps to higher value and better quality (Adds bass, bass extension). EASY

The effect of other mods (input cap, regulated power supply, ..) are more subtle to spot.
Tube rolling is the icing on the cake, of course.

So adding cathode bias bypass caps is a good place to start, mind the polarity 
wink_face.gif

Good luck!

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #1,433 of 2,720

Quote:
Me too. Ordered January 23rd. Checking status today it's still in Hong Kong at the Air Mail facility. Gonna be a week at the least i think. 

Replying to momostalion.

Well, seems like you've been hit my the Chinese NY holiday in HK. Things should be starting to roll by now.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,434 of 2,720

Quote:

Are the cathode bias caps installed across / paralleled to each of these red-circled resistors?

Thanks

Anyone?
Apparently I found some unused 220uF 16V cerafine caps from my latest project,
so if the cathode bias caps is also applicable (and gives advantage) on this bravo v2 12AU7 version,
then I will surely try to do that since it is quite easy to be done
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #1,436 of 2,720
Does anyone know if this amp comes with any connection wires? Is there a difference in sound quality between 3.5mm to 3.5mm, and RCA to 3.5mm? Also, where is a good place to buy such cables with decent quality while still inexpensive? I would not like to spend more than $10 on a cable.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #1,437 of 2,720
I don't recall the amp coming with any cables other than the power cable. 

Check out monoprice.com for great cables at incredibly low prices. It seems to be a very popular source for cables around here

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,438 of 2,720
I just received my Bravo V2 12AU7 in the mail. Looks pretty cute. Everything seems to work although the power input socket is wobbly (need the put the plug in just right for it to hold power) and when not connected to a source the things hums and buzzes like crazy. When you start playing a song it's gone though. Even when the track is dead silent. As soon as you turn off the source the humming and buzzing starts again. 

The sound coming from the stock configuration is pretty good for the price I payed ($50 incl. shipping to The Netherlands). When A/B'ing with my Headstage Arrow the Bravo sounds thinner and grainier. The Arrow has more body and, even without the bassboost, sounds warmer. Still, considering the price difference the Bravo sounds pretty good and drives my HD580 and DT880 to ear-shattering volume. 

I've been looking into all the upgrades over at the Rockgrotto forum and they seem pretty straightforward. Gonna try them out one by one. I'm not much of a DIY'er (yet!) so I'll have to take babysteps. :) 

Overall, pretty nice unit for the price. It looks great and makes for a great budget amp. Would like to compare it to the Fiio E9!

EDIT: forget everything I just said! Sparks! Fire! I pulled the power plug during playback and when I put it back in again huge orange sparks came from the socket! No sound for a couple of seconds, then full sound returned. This thing is UNSTABLE! Awesome. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,439 of 2,720

Quote:
EDIT: forget everything I just said! Sparks! Fire! I pulled the power plug during playback and when I put it back in again huge orange sparks came from the socket! No sound for a couple of seconds, then full sound returned. This thing is UNSTABLE! Awesome. 
evil_smiley.gif

Funny, but you might want to contact the Bravo people (for a replacement?)
And come to the meet on March 27, so we can see the firesparks ourselves :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back