Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Jan 6, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #2,326 of 2,720
Cool, thanks for the detailed answer.

I will look at modding mine in the future, the cost is not much to replace the main caps and MOSFETs.

I will also look at a Sylvania tube for it, 12AU7.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #2,327 of 2,720
I hope to pick one of these up soon. This'll be my first tube amp, and I have a few questions. How long does it take to warm up, and how hot does it get? I hope that it gets really hot and takes a long time to warm up, just for that novelty factor.

1) The output is muted when you first turn it on. It will come alive after about 10-15 seconds. As others have said, optimal performance will occur after full warmup (which is probably dependent on your tube). I have not attempted to time when that happens. These preamp tubes do not get hot to the touch (at least, the V2 doesn't), so there really isn't going to be a whole lot of warmup time (no more than a few minutes at best). I do not personally notice any significant difference between turn on performance and performance after a period of time. Both of my V2's behave the same way.

2) In stock form, the heat sinks for the IC's are too hot to touch. I cool mine with a small USB powered fan, which keeps it cool enough to touch. Some people have reported that heat affects the longevity of this device, so I have chosen to cool mine (at the possible risk of not allowing the tube to heat up fully). Again, these tubes do not run hot, so a bit of cooling really should not affect their performance.

The capacitors I am going to put in mine after modding will be too tall for the stock top plate. At this point, I am planning on leaving the top plate off altogether. One idea I have is to replace the standoffs with longer items, and mount my cooling fan facing down over the top of the whole assembly, using the standoffs. Or I may just use a screen with longer standoffs, and leave the cooling fan separate. I guess it depends on how industrious I feel at the time hah.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #2,328 of 2,720
Cool, thanks for the detailed answer.

I will look at modding mine in the future, the cost is not much to replace the main caps and MOSFETs.

I will also look at a Sylvania tube for it, 12AU7.

Personally, I have found that Mullard tubes are the best choice. I don't keep a d-getter Mullard at my work setup, just in case someone knows what it is (on that setup, I use a cheaper o-getter Mullard that I was lucky enough to buy cheaply, because it's a bit low testing).

Just to be complete, I have also tried Telefunkens, Amerex/Mullards, Tung-Sol tubes, and a couple dozen different American vintage tubes. Yes, I know, I've spent waaaaay too much money on 12AU7's LOL
L3000.gif
Anyhow, for my gear, the Mullards seem to result in the best SQ. As I type this, I'm listening to music on my laptop, driving a Schiit Modi, into a Bravo V2 with a d-getter Mullard, driving my Beyerdynamic DT770 - 250 ohm cans. This has become my favorite setup (much as I hate to sideline my Schiit Magni).

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #2,329 of 2,720
Thanks, I'll look into getting a Millard maybe then :)

I use my ocean with German Meastro GMP-400 and they pair so well together.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #2,330 of 2,720
Thanks, I'll look into getting a Millard maybe then
smily_headphones1.gif

I use my ocean with German Meastro GMP-400 and they pair so well together.

A suggestion: The late 50's Heath-branded Mullards are a very good deal. They use an o-getter, but they can also be purchased for $35 or so on eBay (vs. $99 for a d-getter). I once bought a pair of them for $50, and they are quite nice for the money.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #2,331 of 2,720
More photos, experimenting with long exposure :)

The light one, I only flashed a torch quickly whilst taking the PIC so you still get the glow.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,332 of 2,720
Nice photos! I think the second one is particularly nice, obviously that's not what you'd see with the naked eye BUT that does capture what we'd want to see :D

UmustBKiddin,
For what it's worth, Judge Buff had at least two amps, and I think one of them was a modded inDeed G3 which could switch between 6DJ8 variant tubes and 12au7 variant tubes. The different tubes have different heater voltages, the rest of the circuit can be modded.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #2,333 of 2,720
I agree, those pics are nice for showing off to your friends what tube amps look like. Also, do you think the top and bottom transparent plates can be painted?

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #2,334 of 2,720
I agree, those pics are nice for showing off to your friends what tube amps look like. Also, do you think the top and bottom transparent plates can be painted?

You mean the clear acrylic plastic on the other models? Uuuuh... sure I guess, but I'm not sure what paint I'd suggest, once acrylic paint dries it might crack from the heat of the amp.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #2,336 of 2,720
Oh yeah, the heat won't play nice with the paint, should have thought of that.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #2,338 of 2,720
hi everyone, i just order a bravo v2, going to pair it with my akg k240 mkii. just wondering what tube should i change to have better bass? im using laptop and is there anyway i can pair my fiio e10 with bravo v2 as well?

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,339 of 2,720
You can use the line out on the E10 into the 3.5mm or RCA inputs of the Bravo V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back