Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #3,721 of 4,426
Lol, oh George.

he should be an actor in comedy movies, i wonder how hanging out with him would be

some videos of his are classic comedy acts

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #3,723 of 4,426
I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how much I like the P5... Not enough to dethrone the Ref 1, but it's damn close. If the P5 had more bass, ref 1 would be knocked down, but it doesn't.

Just did some abing and the most noticeable difference, besides bass, are the highs. The P5 extends rather nicely, definitely bests the Ref 1 Too in that regard. Sadly, the P5 also makes the Ref 1 sound veiled. I'd never said that before, but it's true. Not sure about much else, but I can see myself grabbing for the P5 more often than I originally believed. Could be new toy syndrome as well. Also, uBer seems to make a more dramatic impact on the P5. I won't be cable swapping anymore though, I don't want to damage my IEMS. The uBer and stock cables are noticeably tighter on the Ref 1, enough to make me feel uncomfortable swapping cables on a regular basis.

Thanks for sharing Warrior. That's some really great/horrible news! The Ref.1Too is the best IEM I've heard-- in terms of what I look for. But, I do have to say, my only criticisms were that it had a touch too much bass and was a touch veiled and had a slightly rolled off high end. (Listen to me already speaking of it in the past tense!) I was hoping, and afraid, that the P5 would address these areas.

The thing is, that ever so slight cloudiness in the mid range of that old Ref. 1Too is not at all unpleasant. It adds a velvety smoothness to the music whether it's in the track or not. If you're going to fall down on one side or the other, I prefer that to a hyper-clarity that is clinical or even brittle and harsh. When it's perfect (I consider my Moon Neo 430HA perfect) the sound is impossibly clear and creamy all at the same time.

Warrior, can you describe the increased transparency of the P5 over Ref1 a little more? I don't really know why I'm asking. I know what you're going to say. But, just try, try to lie to us....

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #3,724 of 4,426
I really need to ab more, but suffice it to say, according to what you typed, the P5 is the ideal choice. I'd venture a guess that most people would prefer the P5 over the Ref 1... I'm the exception, although I went walking today and grabbed the P5.

My mojo is needing charge, so I'm listening through my S7 Edge...wow. Huge difference. I should have grabbed at least my X7, truly disappointing with this stupid phone.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #3,726 of 4,426
I really need to ab more, but suffice it to say, according to what you typed, the P5 is the ideal choice. I'd venture a guess that most people would prefer the P5 over the Ref 1... I'm the exception, although I went walking today and grabbed the P5.

My mojo is needing charge, so I'm listening through my S7 Edge...wow. Huge difference. I should have grabbed at least my X7, truly disappointing with this stupid phone.

HAHA YES

I have the S7 edge and good lord it sounds bad :p

Strangely (no idea why) the s7 sounds smoother with my mojo than my z3 compact (even using USBAPP)

Except I actually have issues with glitching on the s7 and mojo, with ZERO issues using the Sony.

Wondering how the Mojo performs with the Ref1.

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #3,727 of 4,426

HAHA YES

I have the S7 edge and good lord it sounds bad :p

Strangely (no idea why) the s7 sounds smoother with my mojo than my z3 compact (even using USBAPP)

Except I actually have issues with glitching on the s7 and mojo, with ZERO issues using the Sony.

Wondering how the Mojo performs with the Ref1.

If you like warmer tonality Mojo with Ref.1 was quite good.

I felt the stage was suffering a little and layering, although it was quite excellent overall. The bass extension was insanely deep and caused that pressure feeling in my chest. For (my prefrences) I'm enjoying AK300 more than I did Mojo with the Tralucent earphones.

*waits for noobs to read this and run away saying H20 said AK300 is better than Mojo*

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #3,728 of 4,426

I felt the stage was suffering a little and layering, although it was quite excellent overall. The bass extension was insanely deep and caused that pressure feeling in my chest. For (my prefrences) I'm enjoying AK300 more than I did Mojo with the Tralucent earphones.

*waits for noobs to read this and run away saying H20 said AK300 is better than Mojo*

BAHAHA

I am so hitting the boards with that quote. :p

Cant believe you would dare put such a low end astell n kern model above the coveted untouchable mojo!

To be honest my favourite DAP with the ref1 was the Cayin n6.  When I had it it was one of the earlier firmwares.  Bright, resolving but powerful and tight through the lows.

Kind of brought the highs up and tightened the bass of the REf1 to a level that I found perfect.

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #3,729 of 4,426
edwardsean having both of these IEMs, I would say that the Plus5 is more precise and clean whilst the Ref1 Too, because of its DD, tends to have a slower decay of its bass and therefore sounds more organic and hence that suggestion of more veiled sound compared to the Plus5 which has a quicker bass decay. :)

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #3,731 of 4,426

Thanks for sharing Warrior. That's some really great/horrible news! The Ref.1Too is the best IEM I've heard-- in terms of what I look for. But, I do have to say, my only criticisms were that it had a touch too much bass and was a touch veiled and had a slightly rolled off high end. (Listen to me already speaking of it in the past tense!) I was hoping, and afraid, that the P5 would address these areas.

The thing is, that ever so slight cloudiness in the mid range of that old Ref. 1Too is not at all unpleasant. It adds a velvety smoothness to the music whether it's in the track or not. If you're going to fall down on one side or the other, I prefer that to a hyper-clarity that is clinical or even brittle and harsh. When it's perfect (I consider my Moon Neo 430HA perfect) the sound is impossibly clear and creamy all at the same time.

Warrior, can you describe the increased transparency of the P5 over Ref1 a little more? I don't really know why I'm asking. I know what you're going to say. But, just try, try to lie to us....

I would like to add my thoughts........

To me it's not so much transparency as I feel the Ref.1 is very transparent in achieving what it was designed for. I think how the plus5 excels is that it is far more insightful to the recording/music played.

Both IEMs are revealing and transparent, however, the plus5 portrays to me, how the artists wants it's audience to hear their music.

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #3,732 of 4,426
Thanks Kiats. Would you also agree with Warrior that the P5 also has more treble extension?

The Ref1 Too has great transparency and treble extension. What I'm trying to explain is that it seems to be less only because of the slower bass decay. For want of a better word, it can obscure the other traits for the Ref1 Too. If I were to listen to acoustic vocals, and there is no bass line, I can hear the treble extension and transparency.

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #3,734 of 4,426

AK, however people feels about the company, always delivers a highly detailed signal that is high on purity in all their players. This can be translated as bland and boring, or wonderfully accurate with transducers that can express what it is fed. 

There has always been two schools of thought with in audio, source or transducer................

For me its always been:-

Garbage in, Garbage out
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3,735 of 4,426
Thanks Gavin and Kiats. That's very helpful. I've got some thinking to do. I've long thought of the Ref.1Too as the only IEM for me, but I am getting more and more intrigued by the Plus5. 

Yes, it's really a question of preference and tastes. I wasn't kidding when I had said previously I have all the Tralucents because the variety caters to my need for different sonic sigs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back