Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Jun 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #676 of 4,426
Jun 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #677 of 4,426
1+2 was the best universal I had experienced when I heard it. Hope to have the opportunity to hear these at some point. Nice to find out that Gavin has realized the benefits of his isobaric design.
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #678 of 4,426
  1+2 was the best universal I had experienced when I heard it. Hope to have the opportunity to hear these at some point. Nice to find out that Gavin has realized the benefits of his isobaric design.
ksc75smile.gif

I think [isobaric design] is the core technology of the Ref.1 that makes it unique.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #679 of 4,426
Lol... Tell me about it. It's torturous. But it will be worth it I'm quite sure.

Ref. 1 is even more analytical than the 1Plus2 only in a more subtle way IMHO.  

Ref.1 has a sweeter/richer mid that gives a better complement to the outstanding high that 1Plus2 possessed.  Initial impression that you might find the Ref.1 is less analytical than that of 1Plus2 because of such but you would find out later that it is not the case.  Vocals, male or female, are more palpable of the voice comes from their throat. 

The different layers of the low to super sub bass is where 1Plus2 no match to the Ref.1.  It's bass' texture is impeccable and I think AK240 is a super match to the Ref.1.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #680 of 4,426
Please don't say AK240!!! Lol... I am loving my zx1, but I am growing more curious each day about AK, Calyx, etc. I really don't see myself dropping money on a new player right now though. I'm still on my quest for my perfect IEM. I have tremendous hope for the Ref1.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #681 of 4,426
Please don't say AK240!!! Lol... I am loving my zx1, but I am growing more curious each day about AK, Calyx, etc. I really don't see myself dropping money on a new player right now though. I'm still on my quest for my perfect IEM. I have tremendous hope for the Ref1.

There are no perfect IEMs bro..great yes...perfect? never.

Welcome to head fi..may your wallet rest in peace

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #682 of 4,426

I've auditioned the Zx1 and was not impressed honestly.

However, I think Ref.1 might be a good (but not perfect) match to your Sony.  Hope it'll work out.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #683 of 4,426
I'm hoping it is a nice match. If not, I'm considering AK100II or the AK120II, contingent on some positive reviews of course. I was really. hoping the Calyx M worked out, but that's not looking good.

Either way, I'll have my ref1 in a few short weeks and the party begins!!!

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #684 of 4,426
flymetothemoon is spot on describing the Ref 1. Mirrors exactly what I hear from my own Ref 1.

I auditioned the ZX-1 once before using my 1plus2 and that was when my Ref 1 has not arrived. I thought it sounds rather grainy especially around the mid-high to highs. I could be spoilt by the ultra smoothness of my AK240 though so ZX-1 sounded coarse. I also tried disabling the extra clear audio+ and sonic boost effect on it. The weird thing is that I didn't find it too bright or artificially wide sound stage at all like what some others reported. Just the sound seemed overly aggressive after the mod. Maybe my ears are just used to bright signatures.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #685 of 4,426
@flymetothemoon is spot on describing the Ref 1. Mirrors exactly what I hear from my own Ref 1.

I auditioned the ZX-1 once before using my 1plus2 and that was when my Ref 1 has not arrived. I thought it sounds rather grainy especially around the mid-high to highs. I could be spoilt by the ultra smoothness of my AK240 though so ZX-1 sounded coarse. I also tried disabling the extra clear audio+ and sonic boost effect on it. The weird thing is that I didn't find it too bright or artificially wide sound stage at all like what some others reported. Just the sound seemed overly aggressive after the mod. Maybe my ears are just used to bright signatures.

How many hours you have on your Ref.1 yet?

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #686 of 4,426

Ref.1 has a sweeter/richer mid that gives a better complement to the outstanding high that 1Plus2 possessed.  Initial impression that you might find the Ref.1 is less analytical than that of 1Plus2 because of such but you would find out later that it is not the case.  Vocals, male or female, are more palpable of the voice comes from their throat. 

The different layers of the low to super sub bass is where 1Plus2 no match to the Ref.1.  It's bass' texture is impeccable and I think AK240 is a super match to the Ref.1.

Ref.1 and uber...

Set up :
Ref.1; Tralucent silver (v2) single-ended & Uber balanced
DAP : Ak240

I was listening to Michael Tilson Thomas/San Francisco Symphony on Mahler 7 (DSD) and started with the silver (single-ended), the music just flow smoothly.  After a few thread replies on this forum, I switched to Uber and repeat the same passages again...OMG...it is totally an amazing change...this change is much less significant on pop and jazz when comparing the two cables and is a huge gap from this DSD recording.  

More to come when I come across anything that worth to mention.

Cheers

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #687 of 4,426
Jun 8, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #688 of 4,426
There are no perfect IEMs bro..great yes...perfect? never.

Welcome to head fi..may your wallet rest in peace

Nazrin313, and other audiophiles in Singapore who want an opportunity to try the Ref 1 and other Tralucent gear should be interested in the upcoming showcase in Singapore.

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #689 of 4,426
Nazrin313, I thought you may want to hop on that short flight across. :)

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #690 of 4,426

That is part of what makes it so special. It challenges some "audiophile" thinking, in that the Ref. 1 is highly detailed, textured, enveloping, but it doesn't have to do it in a bright presentation. It's more grown up. Once you listen to the Ref. 1 for a bit, and your biases and audiophile idealogy of what things are supposed to be like crumble away, the special characteristics of the Ref. 1 reveals itself to you, and rewards you with an excellence in audio that busts the mold and pushes our hobby progressively forward. 

I've been saying from the get-go, this IEM defies logic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back