Brand new toy: K271
Apr 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
As my son permanently showers the livingroom with his kiddy CDs and my wife has a mentionable affinity for vespertine television sessions, I needed an isolation monster for my occasional non-computer moods. Found a new pair of K271 for 106€ at german Ebay and pulled the trigger.

I quite like what I got right out of the box, especially mids and detailling are really pleasant. Bass is at least acceptable, with EQ even nice and tight (I prefer this shyer extreme to the D2000 boom-boom). Soundscape isn't extremely wide, but with precise placement of instruments. Allover musicality is very good, even with the aenemic bass and the rather "conservative" emotionality, the tone is "all of a piece" to an astonishing degree. Isolation is as monstrous as I had hoped.

Comfort of such a new pair is below zero IMO (a well worn pair I tried last summer was much better), as there is too much clamping force and the elastic headband thingy is much too strong. Velour pads are on the way...

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K271 for 106€

Good price.

Quote:

Velour pads are on the way...

No longer a good price, unless the velour pads were really cheap. The new K272HD comes with velour pads, and the pricing in the EU is not too bad.

Anyway, I loved my pair of K271S when I had them, and am curious to experience the difference between them and the K272HD.

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 83
17€ incl. shipping for the velour pads (thomann.de).

Also considered the K272HD instead, but these amount to 140-150€ on german internet shops actually. And I like the oldfashioned vintage look of the K271.

Apr 10, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 83
Quote:

17€ incl. shipping for the velour pads (thomann.de).

I thought they always charged a flat rate of €20 for shipping, regardless of the size of the order. I've ordered from them before, and that's been the case. Did you have to do anything special as far as the shipping is concerned?

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 83
They don't charge anything for shipping as long as you order for 25€ or more (I put some 414 pads and senseless adapters into the basket to complete the amount). Guess that free shipping is only to be applied within germany.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 83
Quote:

They don't charge anything for shipping as long as you order for 25€ or more (I put some 414 pads and senseless adapters into the basket to complete the amount). Guess that free shipping is only to be applied within germany.

Lucky you
smily_headphones1.gif

They still charge the €20 shipping to Finland no matter how high the order value is, which would make the cost of the pads €36,90. This is why I avoid that shop except for expensive items when the price is justifiably lower than anyone else's, since their actual shipping cost for something like ear pads is about €3.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 83
Naaah...I'm of that "other" fraction...
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 83
Quote:

Bass is at least acceptable, with EQ even nice and tight (I prefer this shyer extreme to the D2000 boom-boom).

It'll get better with burn in and better fitting velour pads (the good seal is important). Now you can start hunting for Zu Mobius.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The new K272HD comes with velour pads, and the pricing in the EU is not too bad.

Anyway, I loved my pair of K271S when I had them, and am curious to experience the difference between them and the K272HD.

And with nondetachable cable.
frown.gif

That's the only difference between two.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you can start hunting for Zu Mobius.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Prankster!
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And with nondetachable cable.
frown.gif

That's the only difference between two.

Supposedly. But then again, I don't think anyone has heard them yet.

Plus, fixed cable = lesser urge to reach for the wallet to pay for upgrade cables
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #13 of 83
Comfort turns out to become a real issue, ouch! I really don't have big jug ears, but in my case, the K271 is rather to be regarded as supraaural with outer sealing. I tried to bolster up the pads, that worked fine, but killed too much bass. Guess I have to reduce headband pressure, but I don't want to damage its incredible isolation abilities (as I did with the K81)

Sound is fine, bass has become less clinical and got more depth after ~30 hours. Did some superficial comparisons with CD3K and DT880, the K271 did quite well (except the lacking airiness, of course).

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 83
vespertine?

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 83
Quote:

Comfort turns out to become a real issue, ouch! I really don't have big jug ears, but in my case, the K271 is rather to be regarded as supraaural with outer sealing. I tried to bolster up the pads, that worked fine, but killed too much bass. Guess I have to reduce headband pressure, but I don't want to damage its incredible isolation abilities (as I did with the K81)

Sound is fine, bass has become less clinical and got more depth after ~30 hours. Did some superficial comparisons with CD3K and DT880, the K271 did quite well (except the lacking airiness, of course).

Try these pads on them...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f44/fs...others-291951/

The improvements are very noticeable and very good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back