Brand new Shure SE315. To upgrade or to not? 425. 535
Sep 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mitchell4500

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I posted a thread about how I broke my pair of "ie80s" (ive concluded I had to have a fake pair i bought for $50 - yet they were decent) and was torn between Ultimate ears tf10 or the shure 315s. 

I bought the 315s at my local guitar center and im happy with them. Clear and clean sound. But the trouble I have is with bass. I feel like they offer solid bass performance and clear sounding bass but just not enough of it. I always have to pump up the low end on my equalizer or what not, generally this does the trick but I still feel silly doing that for some reason. I cant decide if I should bother upgrading to the se535 or perhaps the se425 (more interested in this because of price). 

I cant tell if im just being obsessive or is the bass lacking?  Ive never had a problem with bass distortion. They are solid in that but its just not loud enough? 

I have 12 more days to return these and I could buy the 425s in store on the spot. But im 17 so money is tight for me. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 3
I've owned all 3.  The SE425 and 535 will both give you better quality of bass - but not quantity.  The 425 in particular is quite neutral with the usual Shure mid-range bump.  The 535 has excellent quality bass - that responds well to EQ - but it is not a bassy IEM.

If you are looking for bass quantity - you'll need to look elsewhere.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 3
Excellent advice. 

I really like these IEMs, I feel like the sound is very well balanced and clear. They also look kinda cool.

I feel like I can live with boosting the lows with my EQ, Ive also put some thought into an inline bass booster but that will require some more research. Once again I feel like they can handle the bass very well its just getting their thats the problem :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back