Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
Jul 31, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #391 of 728
Maybe if you have ears like Shrek, those buggers are almost 2 inches long...

I think mine bigger...
tongue_smile.gif

today I used it in office for about 2 hours non stop with those tri-flanges 
etysmile.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #392 of 728
I feel a little sub-par with my review - which can be found here - I re-wrote it twice (once, I was comparing too literally to a much higher end IEM as requested, and the second time I felt I was being too complimentary) - hopefully, cutting and splicing as I have, I've reached a middle ground, where I'm neither gushing, nor dismissive...

There are definitely some budding, magazine grade reviews sat here, congratulations to both Brainwavz as the manufacturer, and those posters for putting such a lot of time, and dedication into their respective products.

smily_headphones1.gif

I might have to make a video called "Tip Rolling Like a Boss" at some point in the future. And yeah, with some tips you have to pull the mushroom part up a bit (or completely flip it) to get a good view of the nozzle to fit them properly. Technically this is not as much an issue with the nozzle as it is with tips that are made of softer silicone, especially when their stems are thinner, softer or are just very short (like with the included bi-flanges in this case). Otherwise, it's more a matter of experience and that feeling that you can develop with time, which makes you know how much pressure to apply, at what angle to insert the nozzle etc. and one can fit pretty much any tip on any nozzle even if it's not supposed to fit such a nozzle. 
And kinda weird that with these volume settings on the c3 coz 32 with the s5 is not that loud. And at some point I was thinking I was going deaf until I heard some music at the volume my friends use on their DAPs and phones and it was unbearable. Of course, it also depends on the music itself coz I have some stuff with very high DR that can easily take 40/40 on the c3 with the s5 and some very very loud recordings that will damage my hearing at more than 35.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #393 of 728

I think mine bigger...
tongue_smile.gif

today I used it in office for about 2 hours non stop with those tri-flanges 
etysmile.gif

Well, it's not really as much about the length as the overall size. The stock tri-flanges will be big for a lot of people and while one can get used to deep insertion he can't get get used to something that doesn't fit in his ear. Anyway, the stock tri-flanges are exactly the same size as the meelec m6's big tri-flanges, so if one really want to try these with tri-flanges and can't fit these he can try with the meelec S6's small tri-flanges (at some point they weren't available but I think that Mike from meelec mentioned that they are making them themselves now, so assumje they will be at least about the same as the ones I have)
They are about the same length as the S5's and with about the same bore size as most other small tri-flanges on the market have very small bore size
(the left one is the small meelec S6's tri-flange tip)

Anyway, I did a bit of more serious tip rolling today and am still kinda torn. Probably will come down to the stock black ones and the meelec m6's single flanges. Softer tips like the stock gray ones and generally wider bore tips kinda boost the bass too much and the peakiness in the upper treble is accentuated. Otherwise, it's not really that hard to find tips that keep the lower treble peak in check but that upper treble is kinda tricky. Tri-flanges and foam tips only do half the job as they make the treble roll off earlier and the S5's loses some of its openness and kinda sounds constricted in comparison. Of course, I'm still burning my s5 in and will be trying a lot more tips. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #394 of 728
  Well, it's not really as much about the length as the overall size. The stock tri-flanges will be big for a lot of people and while one can get used to deep insertion he can't get get used to something that doesn't fit in his ear. Anyway, the stock tri-flanges are exactly the same size as the meelec m6's big tri-flanges, so if one really want to try these with tri-flanges and can't fit these he can try with the meelec S6's small tri-flanges (at some point they weren't available but I think that Mike from meelec mentioned that they are making them themselves now, so assumje they will be at least about the same as the ones I have)
They are about the same length as the S5's and with about the same bore size as most other small tri-flanges on the market have very small bore size
(the left one is the small meelec S6's tri-flange tip)

Anyway, I did a bit of more serious tip rolling today and am still kinda torn. Probably will come down to the stock black ones and the meelec m6's single flanges. Softer tips like the stock gray ones and generally wider bore tips kinda boost the bass too much and the peakiness in the upper treble is accentuated. Otherwise, it's not really that hard to find tips that keep the lower treble peak in check but that upper treble is kinda tricky. Tri-flanges and foam tips only do half the job as they make the treble roll off earlier and the S5's loses some of its openness and kinda sounds constricted in comparison. Of course, I'm still burning my s5 in and will be trying a lot more tips. 

Thanks for the info!  The Meelec tri-flanges seems to be more ear friendly.

I found the S5 tri-flanges improves the treble extension and the bass extension.  Much more transparent and spacious sounding using the tri-flanges, also much better bass, as the bass becomes more even, much better lower bass extension.

The foam comply T-400 doesn't sound good with S5, it cuts the treble and bass extension, and sounds congested when compared to the tri-flanges.

I guess we do hear things differently due to different ear anatomy.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #395 of 728
I think mine bigger... :tongue_smile:  
today I used it in office for about 2 hours non stop with those tri-flanges :etysmile:

:rolleyes: undoubtedly YES.....I just cant live with it no longer 5min max...the middle petals irritates me like hell and little fatigue I did experience beyond 20 -25 mins......but the latest meelec's tri flanges are ok but still I prefer bi's than tri's....(got M6P (2nd gen) w/whole bunch of tips than my older M6's)

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #396 of 728
My review is up. http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-s5-in-ear-headphones/reviews/11373

Design and Comfort
S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100.  I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such Brainwavz and SoundMagic help bring down prices; if not for them, we would still be paying an arm and a leg for these things.

It has a flat cable instead of the normal round cable, similar to the new Creative Aurvana Live! 2. I don’t know if this is a trend. I’m more used to round cables, but round cables do tangle a bit, except really thick ones like the ones used on HM5, so I think flat cables do have an advantage here if you want your cable to tangle less.  Microphonics is minimal, slightly more than Brainwavz M4; however, that can easily be solved sliding up the cable cinch (e.g. during exercise).

The IEM’s housing has a flat side, which comes in handy - a tactile way of identifying left and right earpieces. All you have to do is have the flat side facing outward when worn. The letter “R” and “L” are extremely small, but you just need to look at them once and you’ll remember which side is which by looking for the flat surface on one side of the housing. Isolation is excellent, at least 25dB, basically similar to earplugs. If you’re looking for an IEM that isolates noise like an earplug, this is an good option for you.

It came with an assortment of different standard silicone tips, including a set of very nice Comply T-400 foam tips. I’m using the T-400 for this review, while I use S-400 on my M4. I’m a fan of Comply tips, and I prefer foam tips to silicone tips in terms of comfort and sound. Silicone tips do, however, bring out better highs on most IEMs (if not all), if that’s what you’re after.

It’s very easy to drive, coming from relatively easy to drive headphones. It’s louder than M4 at the same volume for example.

Sound Quality
Straight out of the box, I couldn't really fault it much. I’ve done over 150 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. There are some similarity to Brainwavz M4, could be considered an upgrade in every way, except I prefer M4's mids.

Bass is deep and tight, probably a tad more than what you call neutral/flat, not unlike CAL!2. It's perfect for people who like to feel their low notes.  I don’t find the bass to be distracting; in fact, I can really appreciate the detail in the bass. Unlike M4, you won’t find a mid-bass hump in S5.

Midrange is slightly warmish, without any bloated mid-bass. If I had to complain, this would probably be the weakest link of S5. You're not going to get perfect sound at any price, let alone at this price range.
S5 is less airy than M4. That’s expected of something that blocks 90% of all ambient noise. For me, I do prefer my mids to be more airy, so I’m biased. I guess that’s the trade-off between isolation and soundstage. 

Treble is very smooth with the foam tips. No sibilance at all, but detailed enough to show it if the recording has it. With silicone tips, the sparkles are brought out, more so with the the tri-flanges.
While soundstage is quite intimate, I feel like I’m listening to music in a studio environment.  Due to its excellent imaging, some recordings sound a bit binaural. I thought was sitting next to the pianist, facing the other way (away from the piano). Classical and country sound so good, especially piano pieces.

Conclusion
This is a very likeable IEM for mainstrem music-lovers, regardless of your preferred sound signature, in my opinion.  Is it for bassheads? Sure, if you like quality bass with enough quantity but not overly so.  Is this for treble-heads? I reckon B2 is a better choice. The sub-$100 bracket is such a competitive price range, these days you can get headphones or earphones that would have cost you several times more in the past. If you were to buy just one IEM for portable use, this would be my personal choice for portability. It's good at most things, and excels at sub-bass.

Feel free to ask me questions or want me to try a particular genre/song.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #397 of 728
  My review is up. http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-s5-in-ear-headphones/reviews/11373

"Due to its excellent imaging, some recordings sound a bit binaural."

+1 on this.
S5 imaging / sound stage is simply excellent, beyond many sub $100 IEM I ever heard.

Btw, whatever differences we have on our impressions, one thing that I think everyone would agree is, Brainwavz has been very generous to us, Head-fi reviewers 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #398 of 728
Agreed re soundstage, very good for a product at this price level :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #399 of 728
  Snip...
The stock tri-flanges will be big for a lot of people and while one can get used to deep insertion he can't get get used to something that doesn't fit in his ear. Anyway, the stock tri-flanges are exactly the same size as the meelec m6's big tri-flanges, so if one really want to try these with tri-flanges and can't fit these he can try with the meelec S6's small tri-flanges (at some point they weren't available but I think that Mike from meelec mentioned that they are making them themselves now, so assumje they will be at least about the same as the ones I have)
/Snip

Thanks kova4a.
Yes i tried the S5 tri-flanges again with a deeper insertion and my ears felt like a young prison inmate's first night in the cell with bubba... 
biggrin.gif

I did hear the treble harshness I found greatly reduced so I'll look around for some smaller tri-flange's. I have some Dunu and RockJaw versions and Meelec wants $13 to ship $2.99 small tri-flanges to Canada so I'll probably give that a pass unless I can convince them to throw a pair in regular envelope and just drop it in the mail.
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #400 of 728
  Thanks kova4a.
Yes i tried the S5 tri-flanges again with a deeper insertion and my ears felt like a young prison inmate's first night in the cell with bubba... 
biggrin.gif

I did hear the treble harshness I found greatly reduced so I'll look around for some smaller tri-flange's. I have some Dunu and RockJaw versions and Meelec wants $13 to ship $2.99 small tri-flanges to Canada so I'll probably give that a pass unless I can convince them to throw a pair in regular envelope and just drop it in the mail.
beerchug.gif

Yeah, deep insertion takes some time to get used to just like your cellmate's manhood in your behind. 
Yeah, meelec's shipping can be costly, so I usually order a lot of stuff or just wait for one of the mee what sales. The things is that most small tri-flanges usually have small bores similar to the ety's. And I'm not really sure whether meelec still has the small ones with the loner stem and wider bore like mine. I've been checking some pics and stuff and it seems that they might be using only the standard small ones that came with the m6, which is a shame. I remember that last year Mike from meelec mentioned that they still have them but had issues with a supplier or something and had to make them now but this could have changed. Just like the old balance bi-flanges they had that they completely changed and ruined for me. Good thing I'm keeping all my tips safe and so I still have some old ones that are no longer made but are great - and it's becoming a huge collection. Tip rolling is a PITA when you want to do it right and be thorough with bags upon bags of tips.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #404 of 728
I picked up this Creative Zen on eBay earlier in the week for $20 bucks, it doesn't support FLAC but will play 256 AAC. (with a 32GB card)

I was tinkering around today, (I'm actually quite surprised at the sound from the little thing despite some comments I'd read), separation is especially noticeable. Anyway, I was listening to Zen juggling through all kinds of IEM's, thought Dunu DN-1000 sounded decent, then I got to Brainwavs S5 and BAM there it was, really generous synergy settling the two together, I think I enjoy this more than the Colorfly C3? It's quite detailed clean, and a little bright sounding. I need to test further on the soundstage, but I'm pretty impressed by the sound that came out, ha ha. 
wink.gif

The $20 Zen running AAC in stealth mode with S5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back