Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
Jul 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #46 of 728
These are really impressive. I opted to wear them down which isn't like me. It was the first way I inserted them so I'll stick with it. They seem to work either way.

I'm listening to Ane Brun and I already thought of a title for my review. I'm going to call it...

"Brainwavs S5, The GR07 Crusher" 
wink_face.gif

Anyway, I'll report in later once we've settled in and I read the thread. I can give you another photo that went horribly wrong this morning. As I took the image my cameras lens cover decided to pop in for a visit.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #47 of 728
Listening to these tonight after 2 days of burnin,  I retract these being north of neutral in the bass department I think they have settled down from my initial impressions and I would agree with Dragon2knight. These are not bass heavy but very definitely bass full. I am going to let these cook for 1 more night and then start working on my review but I will be honest, the review is going to be very positive as this is the best sounding Brainwavz dynamic based IEM I have heard to date rivally any other $100 IEM sonically.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #49 of 728
wow !! a gr07 crusher !! i always wanted a gr07 .

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #50 of 728
These are really impressive. I opted to wear them down which isn't like me. It was the first way I inserted them so I'll stick with it. They seem to work either way.

I'm listening to Ane Brun and I already thought of a title for my review. I'm going to call it...

"Brainwavs S5, The GR07 Crusher" :wink_face:

Anyway, I'll report in later once we've settled in and I read the thread. I can give you another photo that went horribly wrong this morning. As I took the image my cameras lens cover decided to pop in for a visit.

:popcorn:

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #51 of 728
wow !! a gr07 crusher !! i always wanted a gr07 .

me too but lot of detour happened buying its way.....as I was waiting for the release of vsd3/5/7 and in between ended up buying 4 of bwavz models,2 Vsonic models,3 FiiO toys,etc.etc...

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #52 of 728
me too but lot of detour happened buying its way.....as I was waiting for the release of vsd3/5/7 and in between ended up buying 4 of bwavz models,2 Vsonic models,3 FiiO toys,etc.etc...

same case here . but i have been low fi , xba-3 for $68 , crystal for $24 . i like value for money phones and i think gr07 tops this list followed by re-400 . spending ckx9 and some low fi phones have been hard on me . part of me says its madness , and part of me cant control it .
   and as H2O says , if its a gr07 crusher , its a boon .

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #54 of 728

same case here . but i have been low fi , xba-3 for $68 , crystal for $24 . i like value for money phones and i think gr07 tops this list followed by re-400 . spending ckx9 and some low fi phones have been hard on me . part of me says its madness , and part of me cant control it .
   and as H2O says , if its a gr07 crusher , its a boon .

S5 is superior to RE-400 imho. I've had both beside me this afternoon, even giving RE-400 the advantage running balanced from HM-700. Still, S5 pulls away in clarity, detail and especially texture around the mid-range. RE-400 have less bass and sound rather dry compared, they simply don't exhibit the same levels of clarity or smootness S5 does around the mid-range, notably the upper mids. I haven't stopped listening to the new Brainwavs all afternoon from Colorfly C3 and I do have faith this is preferable than GR07 (big call from H20 says the crowd)

Been a long time since I've heard a dynamic based IEM pull off clarity similar to a balanced armature while maintaining natural timbre. You want a 'clear' mid-range Brainwavs S5 doses it up in spades.  One thing I don't like is the tiny L / R markings on the strain reliefs, too small for my liking. Anyway I want to get some others thoughts but this seems like the real "too good to be true" scenario, especially for $99.  

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #55 of 728

S5 is superior to RE-400 imho. I've had both beside me this afternoon, even giving RE-400 the advantage running balanced from HM-700. Still, S5 pulls away in clarity, detail and especially texture around the mid-range. RE-400 have less bass and sound rather dry compared, they simply don't exhibit the same levels of clarity or smootness S5 does around the mid-range, notably the upper mids. I haven't stopped listening to the new Brainwavs all afternoon from Colorfly C3 and I do have faith this is preferable than GR07 (big call from H20 says the crowd)

Been a long time since I've heard a dynamic based IEM pull off clarity similar to a balanced armature while maintaining natural timbre. You want a 'clear' mid-range Brainwavs S5 doses it up in spades.  One thing I don't like is the tiny L / R markings on the strain reliefs, too small for my liking. Anyway I want to get some others thoughts but this seems like the real "too good to be true" scenario, especially for $99.  

HNGGGGG. Nice impressions H20!
That flat cable though, looks unergonomic as hell. 
Better than the Ostry in your opinion? I'm always looking for a backup pair to my upcoming IEM :wink:

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #56 of 728
wink.gif
Quote:
  HNGGGGG. Nice impressions H20!
That flat cable though, looks unergonomic as hell. 
Better than the Ostry in your opinion? I'm always looking for a backup pair to my upcoming IEM :wink:

Yeah, it is better than the Ostry, the problem is whoever tuned this IEM (similar to Ostry) knew what they were doing because I cannot find any faults yet with S5, at first I thought the treble was a little sharp though it has not bothered me since, it sounds very clear like a balanced armature, good staging and channel separation, to the point I have checked the packet twice confirming it is 10mm dynamic driver. Give me some time I will try and pick something wrong with it. lol Seriously though it's a solid performer, I didn't expect to enjoy them so much, ze clarity for $99 is pretty out there. Just like Dunu DN-1000 last year, a sure sign technology in IEM is moving forward. 

I love the bass impact, it's not over done but also doesn't puss out either like some IEM claiming to be reference or neutral. Nice fleshed out low end and lets you know without going overboard. 

Once you hear S5 the cable will not worry you, that I can guarantee. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #57 of 728
Whetted my appetite Luke!

Looking forward to seeing mine arrive within the next day or so.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #58 of 728

yes , too good to be true for $99 . lets see if it can rally kick some as* . what about er-4p ?

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #59 of 728

yes , too good to be true for $99 . lets see if it can rally kick some as* . what about er-4p ?

Naw, it won't flog a well amped ER4S(p) in raw detail extraction, but it may show the Etymotic who's boss in soundstage, among other areas like bass impact.

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #60 of 728
    got mine got mine , just got my review unit , i though it will take longer at customs , but yipppeee !!  these are the things inside .
i think i missed the quarter inch adapter .

yes i will find out by myself but still , which tip works best for you guys ? black gray or the bi/tri flange .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back