Brainwavz blu-100 bluetooth 4.0 (apt-x) IEM review
Jun 7, 2015 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

givemeyourshoes

New Head-Fier
Gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/bMe6a

Introduction:

Being on mailing lists is dangerous. That daily MassDrop email, notifications from EarPhoneSolutions, etc… always making me spend my money. Well, a recent email from MP4Nation introducing the Brianwavz blu-100 bluetooth IEMs peaked my interest. The pre-order discount, plus the use of some store points meant they would cost me $31.00 shipped (MSPR $44.50). At that price I figured what the hell, and placed the order.

Accessories:

When the blu-100 arrived, I was pleased to see the box was nice and compact. I hate excess packaging, it’s such a waste. Opening the box reviewed the usual warranty card and a zippered semi-hardshell case. Packed inside the case are the blu-100 IEM, a USB charging cable, one pair of comply foam tips (medium), three hybrid silicon tips (medium set pre-installed), and rubber ear locks. The accessories included are exactly what you need / want, and nothing more. The case is nice too, as I have been tossing this in my bag all week (I bike to work) and no issues yet.

Specifications - copied from MP4Nation.net product description

Specifications: Transducers/Drivers: Dynamic, 8mm Rated Impedance: 30ohms Closed Dynamic Sensitivity: 110dB at 1mW Frequency range: 20 ~ 20000Hz Bluetooth 4.0 (CSRBC8645) with aptX Operation max distance: 30ft (10m) Battery: 60mAh - 4hrs playtime, 100hrs standby, 2hrs for full charge (Micro USB charging) CVC echo and noise cancellation Supports voice prompt for MMI: Power on - Paring - Connecting - Battery low - Power off Supports HFP, HSP and A2DP Supports pairing with two devices at the same time 3 button remote, works with Apple iOS products, Android & Windows phones & PC 1 year warranty

Fit:

The blu-100 is certainly on the large side, but given that it is wireless, that is to be expected. It feels a bit heavier than other IEMs as well. That said, I have had zero issues with the fit. The blu-100, using the medium hybrid silicon tips fits snuggly in my ears and stays put, even when at the gym. If the silicon tips don’t keep them in your ears, the included comply foam S-400 tips should do the trick. Additionally, the rubber ear locks will help keep them secure. It’s nice to see that Brainwavz has provided options to ensure the fit is good for the majority of people. The only con to fit is that the cable did stick to my neck a few times when wearing a shirt that had a rather large neck opening. When I turned my head I felt a tug on the IEM, but it didn’t come out.

Function:

The blu-100 can be paired with two devices, and that works great because I have it paired with my Apple MacBook Air, and with my LG G3 smartphone. When turning on the blu-100 (OK the more I type the product name, the more I feel like it should be an e-cig) with a three second press of the middle button, a voice notifies you that the power is on. That same voice will let you know when the device is connected, and when it powers off. If the device becomes disconnected, an audible beep repeats ever few seconds until you re-connect or power off the blu-100.

The three button remote is your standard affair with volume up and down, and play/pause in the center. The play/pause button doubles as the answer/end call button. A full review of the manual will outline the other functions, including how to fast forward, rewind, skip tracks, and use voice commands for your phone or computer.

In my daily use, the blu-100 has worked great with iTunes, in which all outlined controls function as advertised. When using Rdio on my phone, functions work as well. However, the volume buttons on the blu-100 seem to control an internal volume, and I am able to adjust the volume on my phone separately. To make this easy, I have been seeing the volume on my phone to just below max volume, and using the volume up/down on the remote of the blu-100. When using Pandora on my Android device however, results have been poor at best. The volume up/down work just as with Rdio (or any other audio on my smartphone and computer), but the play/pause feature and skip track option do not function. This is not a deal breaker, but is worth noting.

Listening time is spot on at about 4 hours, just as promised. It feels odd charging headphones daily this past week. Fortunately, these do charge somewhat quickly, in around 1.5 hours from drained to full. Charging time will vary based on the wall charger or computer you are using. One of the only major cons is that I wish the 60mah battery were larger, to allow for longer listening time. Eight hours would be nice, to get me through a full day of use.

This probably goes without saying, but to just to confirm, the blu-100 does not have a passive mode. If the battery is dead, you don’t have sound.

Sound:

Having a decent collection of IEMs ranging from the Westone UM3X and UE Triple.Fi 10, to the SE215 and Audeo PFE 012, all the way down to $20 Panasonic and Apple Ear Pods, I have ALWAYS preferred wired earphones. I have owned a couple pair of bluetooth on-ear headphones previously, and they lasted all of a week or three before they were sold off. The artifacting and compression that comes along with bluetooth use is just something I can’t get passed. Fortunately, the blu-100 alleviates this issue with the implementation of the apt-x codec. The audio quality, in regards to bluetooth compression is more than acceptable.

The one issue that does plague just about any bluetooth device is present here as well, however. I am speaking of the background hiss. For $44.50 I didn’t expect a complete silent device, and I got what I expected. That said, the hiss is usually only audio been no other sound is playing. As soon the music starts I stop noticing it. It has peeked through a few times when listening to pod casts or if a song has a spot of silence or a very quite part. For the most part it isn’t an issue.

When it comes to sound signature, the blu-100 is on the darker side, and it certainly has a v-shaped sound. The bass is full bodied, and hits nice and low. It is certainly boosted. To be honest, most of the time I don’t want this. However, I purchased the blu-100 with an intent to use them at the gym, and in this situation, I want bass, and lots of it. It helps me get into the music and forget about the pain of working out (don’t tear your shoulder at the batting cages ok kids). The bass is full, but is boomy and not the most well defined.

When it comes to the midrange, you’ll find it is a bit recessed. Vocals are still very present, and lively. This makes the blu-100 feel a bit darker, but the sound is still pleasing and musical.

The treble on these is slightly boosted, but oddly enough, rolls off in the upper range. It is never sibilant or harsh, and lacks a bit of sparkle. But what is there is clean and helps to bring the music to life. In short, the treble is polite.

Overall, the blu-100 is very warm, and reminds me a lot of the Shure SE215. That said, the blu-100 is lacking in the detail and resolution provided by the SE215, but not by much. The blu-100 is not without it’s shortcomings, but for its intended use, I have been very happy with them. At the gym, these have been exactly what I want / need. They fit well, get out of the way thanks to the behind the neck cord, and sound good enough. These are not an audiophile’s dream, but for portable use and gym use they certainly get the job done, and quite well. I would even suggest that these would be great for the non-audiophile in your life.

TL;DR - the blu100 is a good but not great wireless IEM for gym use, at $44.50 it is worth a buy.

*note, I have not taken or received any calls with these. I talk on the phone ALL DAMN DAY at work, so I tend not to use the phone outside of work. Other’s who have reviewed the blu-100 say the call quality is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back