Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,321 of 1,431
  Nah, the extreme outward curving angle of the nozzle is something that will work for a cable down fir with probably less than 10% of the people who own a b2, which means for a cable down use a lot of people will have to go with a very shallow insertion and it's pretty much like using a shallow insertion with an ety iem - it's not at its best sound at all. At any rate, the angle is too steep for such a long nozzle and that's why the dba02 mk2 is a lot better in this regard. ANd brainwavz didn't really tune the B2 - it's an OEM design - not their own.

Brainwavz did tune B2 - they chose a different filter than the one used in DBA02.

I can't see on your picture - are you switching channels? if you are not, you are going against the structure of the ear:

The "acoustic meatus" goes towards the front, not back.
And if you are switching channels - then it should be clear to you that Brainwavz didn't mean for B2 to be worn that way, or they would have switched the "L" and "R" markers.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,322 of 1,431

Brainwavz did tune B2 - they chose a different filter than the one used in DBA02.

I can't see on your picture - are you switching channels? if you are not, you are going against the structure of the ear:

The "acoustic meatus" goes towards the front, not back.
And if you are switching channels - then it should be clear to you that Brainwavz didn't mean for B2 to be worn that way, or they would have switched the "L" and "R" markers.

No, I'm not switching channels. And brainwavz didn't mean anything - it was a ready design and they just cloned the dba02, so someone else made the design and they just put in the nozzle different filter but they still sound the same. Also this pics is pointless coz different ear canals are differently angled but I guess from my pic you can't see that I've rotated the b2 to the side so it follows the angle of my canals. And as I said,  no one has that steep of an outward curved ears canal to fit the b2 properly with the cable down. Rin also mentioned after measuring the B2 that it sounds the best as close to the reference plan as possible, which is the second bend of the ear canal, which is impossible with a cable down fit - only if you use smaller tips and insert it like me.

And anyway, you can always shoot Raz a PM and he'll tell you how it's supposed to be worn but inward curving nozzle and short strain reliefs is how over-the-ear iems are made

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,323 of 1,431
  No, I'm not switching channels. And brainwavz didn't mean anything - it was a ready design and they just cloned the dba02, so someone else made the design and they just put in the nozzle different filter but they still sound the same. Also this pics is pointless coz different ear canals are differently angled but I guess from my pic you can't see that I've rotated the b2 to the side so it follows the angle of my canals. And as I said,  no one has that steep of an outward curved ears canal to fit the b2 properly with the cable down. Rin also mentioned after measuring the B2 that it sounds the best as close to the reference plan as possible, which is the second bend of the ear canal, which is impossible with a cable down fit - only if you use smaller tips and insert it like me.

B2 isn't a clone of DBA02, they are both created by the same OEM (not Fischer Audio):
http://www.inearmatters.net/2011/10/review-brainwavz-b2-phoenixs-rebirth.html

The angles may be different, but they all are angled forward.
In your picture the cable is straight up - what exactly have you rotated? The nozzle is still pointing toward the back.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,324 of 1,431

The angles may be different, but they all are angled forward.
In your picture the cable is straight up - what exactly have you rotated? The nozzle is still pointing toward the back.

??? I still don't get you point? I've angled it to follow my ear canal, which is slightly upward and still forward but after the first bend it gets slightly less angled to the front, so the housing is pointing forward and is mostly in my ear canal and as the canal curves, the is inserted in that curve and point towards my brain and less forward.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,325 of 1,431
I'll snap you a couple of pics a bit later to show you how ridiculously it fits me cable down - I get better fit cable down if I switch the channels, so just because you have a certain angle of the ear canal and cable down works for you, doesn't mean that's how everyone should wear the b2

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,326 of 1,431
  ??? I still don't get you point? I've angled it to follow my ear canal, which is slightly upward and still forward but after the first bend it gets slightly less angled to the front, so the housing is pointing forward and is mostly in my ear canal and as the canal curves, the is inserted in that curve and point towards my brain and less forward.

Even with that rotation, the nozzle would point at 45 degrees up and back.
If this is how your ear canal really goes, fine, but that's not how it goes for most people - so this method is useless for them.
For us, humans, the nozzle would point towards the ear canal's wall and not the membrane.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #1,327 of 1,431
my wild guess on this:
it's a double driver, one on one side for bass the other for the rest, even if they are pretty close and come out from the same tube, I guess it is possible that your ear bending one way will tend to cover a little bit of the side of the nozzle, attenuating more bass or more "everything else" depending on having the B2 up or down.

this is far fetched but at least there is some logic behind it.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,328 of 1,431
  Even with that rotation, the nozzle would point at 45 degrees up and back.
If this is how your ear canal really goes, fine, but that's not how it goes for most people - so this method is useless for them.
For us, humans, the nozzle would point towards the ear canal's wall and not the membrane.

You're still missing my point. It was intended to be worn cable up like a shure se530
But they made the nozzle too long and the angle of the nozzle too steep, which gives a very shallow fit if used like this and wearing it cable down can give you a very very slight better fit depending on the ear canals' angle but then the entire housing points outwards out of the ear and sticks out, so actually for what they intended you should be switching channels for a cable down use. That's why Fischer updated the dba02 with the mk2 to fix that issue. And everyone I know is wearing both the brainwavz and the fischer cable up and you're the first one to claim it should be worn cable down. That's why even on the pics of the ads they are pointing cable up.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,329 of 1,431
Oh, and that's why the letter R and L on the housings are straight when the b2 is cable up and are flipped when it's cable down 

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,330 of 1,431
OK so we can wear it over-the-ear however kova4a I think you like that insertion but that's too much penetration for my canal. if you know what I mean :D

I can imagine that you cannot wear it cable-down because of that deep insertion which looks uncomfortable. I have got very good seal with regular cable-down fit with comply T but might order Tx bcs the barrier looks like good to limit sibilance. I know I have very good fit by knowing that I get good bass. To compare to Re0 I would say they are on par in quantity but B2 is better in quality mainly speed /decay  and resolution.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #1,331 of 1,431
  Oh, and that's why the letter R and L on the housings are straight when the b2 is cable up and are flipped when it's cable down 

This is a good point, but if Brainwavz really meant it to be worn up - it's a huge ergonomic fail on their (or OEM's?) part.
Even in full size headphones manufacturers are trying to point the driver towards the membrane, using angled drivers or angled pads.
Yet in B2 the driver is supposed to point toward the canal's wall instead?
And since there is no chance for deep insertion with the provided tips, most B2 users would experience sibilance and lackluster bass - due to a lack of seal.

I'm using them with the MH1C tips (cable down) - no sibilance, good tight bass.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #1,332 of 1,431
Why do you prefer these over Comply foams?

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,334 of 1,431
I just noticed how Comply's are not so durable. After few days of using Comply-T its having signs of usage and I see I will have to replace them soon. The red foam is just breaking apart. No my ears are not filled with acid :D but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back