Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #1,096 of 1,431
In all the dustup in semantics did we get a definition of a phone that tinyman actually considers analytical ? 

Not to reopen this, but to me analytical is drier , thinner, treble emphasized (or bass light). 

Of course as mentioned with different hearing/tips/fit issues this all becomes extremely complicated. 

Due to high mid and treble emphasis these approach the analytical line for me. I would consider Etymotic analytical, while a 'monitor' type like the GR07/W4 possibly the UM3x/SM3 depending on how it fits you as 'balanced'. 

Anaxilus's definition I think is similar. Just surprised to hear what is thrown around here as 'analytical' RE-0 ER4 etc as not. Darn communication barriers ! Develop telepathy already !

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,097 of 1,431
They are a bit analytical, but only because the bass isn't as pronounced as the highs or mids. To ClieOS its also analytical

[=http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-rha-ma-350-added-june-23th-2012/2][/]

I dont think they sound V shaped at all.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #1,099 of 1,431
Quote:
I've experimented with phasing on my Westone-cabled DBA-02 Mk I (see my avatar) by flipping one of the two connectors and I cannot hear any difference. My experiments included tests from the site below, designed specifically to evaluate speaker phasing. Those listening tests showed only the tiniest differences, which were not consistent as to which was "correct". Maybe that's just a BA characteristic.
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

I did this test, the guitar one is pretty obvious, the rumble not so much - these were made for speakers after all. My B2 are correctly wired.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,100 of 1,431
Quote:
They are a bit analytical, but only because the bass isn't as pronounced as the highs or mids. To ClieOS its also analytical
[=http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-rha-ma-350-added-june-23th-2012/2][/]
I dont think they sound V shaped at all.

Like I said, I understand why people say it's analytical.  However, I don't see it this way, I hear a more balanced sound due to the bass levels and that spike in the high highs.  The bass > mids to my ears, which in turn creates the slightest of Vs for me to hear (I wouldn't categorize them as a V shape though).  The mids (higher mids) aren't boosted enough for me to call them analytical.  That's my stance.  You are allowed to believe otherwise, I'm not going to stop you.  I will defend my point still though.  

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,101 of 1,431

The B2's seem to have a port/vent on the nozzle (circled above), between the ridge on the nozzle and the housing.

I have fitted the ear-tips in both configurations,
1.>Stopping at the ridge, leaving the vent/port free
2.>Pushing it till it can't go any further, covering the vent/port.

I haven't really noticed much difference in these 2 configurations, but I haven't also yet tried A/B listening between them.

What's the 'recommended' configuration ?

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,102 of 1,431
Quote:

The B2's seem to have a port/vent on the nozzle (circled above), between the ridge on the nozzle and the housing.

I haven't really noticed much difference in these 2 configurations, but I haven't also yet tried A/B listening between them.

I don't think that's a port as it's completely filled.  I think it's part of the manufacturing where the plastic is molded together.  Most plastics have this somewhere (inside, underside, etc so it's out of view).  The B2 housings have it where the nozzle is.  Many products (non-headphone) utilize this circle to also place a number on the unit (B2s don't do this).  

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #1,109 of 1,431
Quote:

Not a vent, its just something from the mold, quite common on many plastic pieces made from molds.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,110 of 1,431
I now have been a month or more with my B2s. I never loved music so much. I don't understand why someone would dislike detail on music, to me dissecting every part of a song is a huge part of my enjoyment. I've actually been much less active on Head-Fi than before because I feel like just stop reading about headphones and enjoy them. And they don't just do 'audiophile' genres well, yesterday I was listening to Psytrance on them. The only thing I really can't stand with the B2 is dubstep, since the bass plays a huge role in it. Besides that, a Clip Zip feeding Gentle Giant or Zappa into my B2 seems like a very good stop on my audiophile journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back