Brainstorming Steampunk Headphone Mods?
Nov 29, 2007 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Long time no see!

Anyway, I was StumblingUpon the internet, and I found a steampunk headphone mod... and it occurred to me... maybe I should talk about that sort of thing here? Does anyone want to help brainstorm about Steampunk headphone modifications? What would they look like? how would you go about making one? steampunk amp modifications? The possibilities are endless!

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 18
I think you could just do some slight cosmetic mods to some grado cans and I would think that would be well enough...perhaps add some kind of flip-down monocle or add antennas on the adjustable bars holding the drivers to the headband...

...then again, I'm REALLY not into steampunk...

Nylan

EDIT: Glowing tube amps already look steampunk-ish.

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I've never heard of this hobby or concept before, its very interesting.. But if you steampunk modded a headphone I imagine it'd be really heavy. Heres some cool images and designs steampunk - Gizmodo

It wouldn't have to be that heavy... Like nylan8301 said, the Grado SR60 lends itself to being steampunked rather easily and would probably still be rather light.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Bought some Sansui SH-15 headphones not to long ago 2nd hand and was struck by their steampunkishness. Was thinkin' of modding them to make them even more steampunkish. Will post a pic, ifin that's possible of this 'ere four-um.

Yeah-ha! Yes, I have bin drinkin'

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 18
100875012_o.jpg

Okay, here are the pics of the Sansui SH-15 headphones. If anybody knows anything about these headphones, especially when they were made, I would love to hear about it. My estimation is 1970's, but these headphones have some unique features, such as cloth covered cord and the split apart headband, for increased stability (works a treat).

100874862_o.jpg

Oh, and they sound good, as well as oozing being somewhat steampunkish. The first mod that comes to mind is to replace the foam padding with leather.

100874715_o.jpg

Tell me what you think.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 18
Right now I have an idea of replacing the outside shells of the speakers on a pair of lowrider skullcandies w/ one of these:
Ace - Ace Tree: Auto: Tires: Tire Gauge / Valves: Victor® Tire Gauge (22-5-00881-8)
but taking out the face of the gauge and putting some brass cogs in it and maybe spraypainting the metal for a bronze color. Now I'm just trying to think of a way to use that nozzle on the top to attach some sort of steampunkish headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back