Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Aug 16, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #1,487 of 2,196
Did the review(er) say what happened that caused the snapping? The construction is quite sturdy, I can´t imagine this happening under normal use.
It was vaguely described that one day during use, it 'suddenly' snapped. I guess some production batch may not be perfect. I tried the PX7 the other day. Found the deep earcups really nice (enveloped my ears perfectly) but the clamping force was quite intense. Do you find the clamping force loosen over time? Thank you :)

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,488 of 2,196
From what I read there were some issues with the first batch produced, it could be that the reviewer got one of those.

The clamping force has never been an issue for me, so it´s difficult to comment on that. However, when I lay the headphones down on the table I don´t get the idea that clamping force has reduced much by the way the cups touch each other.

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #1,489 of 2,196
What about earcup size?

A few on here have tried or also own the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless and Shure Aonic 50.

@sfalexi @angelom
@hifi80sman
@chavan123168
@Maukey
@Roberk I believe

The Momentum 3 earcups are a bit too small for me.

I believe the PX7s are roomiest, and have the most room of the three?

Will just have to try my pair

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,490 of 2,196
The choice of replacing genuine leather with its artificial counterpart made of fossil fuels, is a real bummer to me. But all manufacturers are doing it and the number of people not wanting to use animal products is growing. It's also cheaper. At least B&W use good quality materials and the pads are replaceable.

Sennheiser, bang & olufsen and master & dynamic today still using leather ear cups and headband.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #1,493 of 2,196
Anything B&W sounds good. The PX was an excellent headphone and the PX7 follows suite. Marginally better and yes much more comfortable.

It all depends what your source is with headphones like this....they are designed (and tested) with smartphones in mind

Unfortunately bluetooth just doesn't cut it even now..., so you really need to hook these up with a wire, unless you are in a pinch.

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,495 of 2,196
Hi all. So I'm really struggling with settling on a pair of ANC headphones.

I originally bought the Bose QC35ii and while the ANC and comfort were superb, the sound bothered me. I got the PX7's since I knew Bowers & Wilkins to be a good brand for sound quality, and my initial impression was WOW re: sound but the comfort was lacking/tight on my bigger head, plus the ANC while good was not as good as the Bose.

I returned the Bose and have been trying to make do with the PX7, and to be fair it has loosened up a bit. People on this forum told me to try the Momentum 3's which I now have, and admittedly the comfort is much better given the premium leather. I have a bigger head so it's way better in that regard. However, the ANC is pretty meh in my opinion, unless you have a song on loud, and the touch sensitivity/sensors seem very over the top. I also still don't find the sound as exciting as the PX7.

I'm really not sure whether to return the Momentum 3's, the PX7s, or both? I don't really want to go back to Bose, but the ANC and comfort were great. As a musician I really want superb sound, so I'm finding this really, really tricky. At home I use Beyerdynamic DT770s and I have Airpods Pro for runs and sometimes around the house but they don't block out the noise from my housemate and from the upstairs neighbours (who like to stomp a lot) so I resolved on getting a good pair of over ear ANCs.

If anyone has any advice on this, I'm really struggling to come to a conclusion.

M

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,496 of 2,196
Hi all. So I'm really struggling with settling on a pair of ANC headphones.

I originally bought the Bose QC35ii and while the ANC and comfort were superb, the sound bothered me. I got the PX7's since I knew Bowers & Wilkins to be a good brand for sound quality, and my initial impression was WOW re: sound but the comfort was lacking/tight on my bigger head, plus the ANC while good was not as good as the Bose.

I returned the Bose and have been trying to make do with the PX7, and to be fair it has loosened up a bit. People on this forum told me to try the Momentum 3's which I now have, and admittedly the comfort is much better given the premium leather. I have a bigger head so it's way better in that regard. However, the ANC is pretty meh in my opinion, unless you have a song on loud, and the touch sensitivity/sensors seem very over the top. I also still don't find the sound as exciting as the PX7.

I'm really not sure whether to return the Momentum 3's, the PX7s, or both? I don't really want to go back to Bose, but the ANC and comfort were great. As a musician I really want superb sound, so I'm finding this really, really tricky. At home I use Beyerdynamic DT770s and I have Airpods Pro for runs and sometimes around the house but they don't block out the noise from my housemate and from the upstairs neighbours (who like to stomp a lot) so I resolved on getting a good pair of over ear ANCs.

If anyone has any advice on this, I'm really struggling to come to a conclusion.

M

Yeah it really sucks that Bose can make comfortable, very practical headphones, but just don't deliver on sound or codec support.

They're good for everything except for listening to music! So what's the point?

But then what's the point of a headphone sounding good if it's not comfortable to wear?

It comes down to compromise, and how much you're willing to trade comfort for sonic performance.

If you want to be wearing them for 12 hours a day, perhaps the Bose are the better choice.

But if you can get used to wearing a better sounding pair that's probably the better choice, especially if you really want good sound quality.

I'm trying to M3s at the moment. Unfortunately the earpads are too small for me.

If they're not too small for you, I'd go for them.

Genuine leather, excellent build, good customer service from Sennheiser with replacement parts available.

ANC is meant to be much better with a firmware update.

I haven't compared them to PX7 yet though, and I initially decided on the PX7

If you want to watch movies and consume media then the Sennheisers are the better choice with AptX LL support.

I like the wear sensor, it's nifty. The PX7 have that too.

There are no touch sensors that I'm aware of. It's just a wear sensor in the earcups, if that's what you mean.

I'd go for the M3 in your case, if they fit.

I'll need to go for the PX7 I think. I hope they don't clamp too tight. You can try leaving them on a football as suggested by another member to try to loosen their clamping force a bit.

Can you let me know how the earcups/earpads of the PX7 and M3 compare please?

I understand that the PX7 has more room for ones ears?

I asked but didn't get any replies despite including members that have tried or own both it seems.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #1,498 of 2,196
Yeah it really sucks that Bose can make comfortable, very practical headphones, but just don't deliver on sound or codec support.

But then what's the point of a headphone sounding good if it's not comfortable to wear?

It comes down to compromise, and how much you're willing to trade comfort for sonic performance.

If you want to be wearing them for 12 hours a day, perhaps the Bose are the better choice.

But if you can get used to wearing a better sounding pair that's probably the better choice, especially if you really want good sound quality.

I'm trying to M3s at the moment. Unfortunately the earpads are too small for me.

Genuine leather, excellent build, good customer service from Sennheiser with replacement parts available.

If you want to watch movies and consume media then the Sennheisers are the better choice with AptX LL support.

There are no touch sensors that I'm aware of. It's just a wear sensor in the earcups, if that's what you mean.

I'll need to go for the PX7 I think. I hope they don't clamp too tight. You can try leaving them on a football as suggested by another member to try to loosen their clamping force a bit.

I asked but didn't get any replies despite including members that have tried or own both it seems.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I definitely agree re: Bose, though I wouldn't say I have them on 12 hours a day. More like 6-8 max, but those are days I'm not doing much. So you've not tried the PX7 yet?

When I initially got the PX7 the clamping force was way too tight, but what stopped me from returning them was the fact that the sound was so amazing; the soundstage in particular. I showed it a few friends and they were like YOU HAVE TO KEEP THESE.

I've had them for a few weeks now, and the clamping is definitely not as bad. They still feel tighter than Bose/Sennheiser, but one thing I will say, as you mention, is yes the earcups are massive. I didn't notice this until I took the M3s off yesterday, and then put the PX7s on. My ears felt airer/roomier and more free. So the irony is my ears are more comfy in the PX7s, but my head and Jaw aren't quite as much. I think one of the issues with the PX7s are that they have a really hard/firm earcup on the exterior, so if you're lounging around they're not as comfy as they're really built like stone (which is good for travel and dropping but always if you're lying down and getting comfy with em).

And yes I just meant the wear sesnsors, but with the M3 the sound pauses with the slightest head movement or jerk, where as with the PX7s they only stop if you actually remove the headphones. One other thing I'll say is the PX7s seem to have mildly better connectivity to Bluetooth, as I have sometimes had to wait for the Momentum 3s to connect, or sometimes it'll go to my phone when I didn't want it to leave my laptop. Not a huge deal.

But yes earpads wise the PX7s are much bigger, so I suspect you may like them. I'll be curious to see your reaction to the clamping force.... but again, they've loosened up so that now I can wear them longer and not be annoyed, but it's still a slight relief to put the M3s on after the PX7s purely cause the leather comfort. That said, it's a relief to put the PX7s on after cause your ears feel less pushed up against. So it's all kind of ironic.

One last thing I will say is the battery life on the PX7 is way way better, so that's a plus, and the carrying case is much better/they become more compact. Sound wise they are both great, but different. I'm really struggling to settle either way, but I'm partially considering getting the B&W P7s because I like the B&W sound so much that if I give up the PX7s I still want a B&W headphone. Meh. But I may keep them in the end..... The M3 feels more like a wireless headphone than an ANC headphone.

M

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #1,499 of 2,196

PX7 is roomier in the ears but has more clamping force. The M3 have softer, more comfortable ear pads. For me, the M3 is the more comfortable headphone of the 2. I have what I consider an average head size with average to smallish ears. I've heard from a couple of people that consider their heads on the larger side, that the PX7 is more comfortable for them. I actually posted in another thread a comparison of a few of the top ANC headphones I've been fortunate enough to own or have owned. I'll paste it below

For those that are curious, here's how I'd rank all these:

Sound -
1a) Shure Aonic 50
1b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3a) Dali iO-6
3b) B&W PX7
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Bose N700
7) Sony 1000XM3

ANC -
1) Sony 1000XM3
2) Bose N700
3) B&W PX7
4) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) NAD Viso HP70
6) Shure Aonic 50
7) Dali iO-6

Comfort -
1) Shure Aonic 50
2) Sony 1000XM3
3a) Bose N700
3b) Sennheiser Momentum 3
5) B&W PX7
6) Dali iO-6
7) NAD Viso HP70

Phone Calls -
1) Bose N700 (Best in the business)
2) Sennheiser Momentum 3
3) Shure Aonic 50
4) Dali iO-6
5) B&W PX7
6) NAD Viso HP70
7) Sony 1000XM3

Features/Convenience - (The biggest convenience feature for me is the ability to manage connected bluetooth devices via the app, that's why the Momentum and PX7 are my top two. Bose has this as well but Sony has a better EQ, Sound Optimizer, and quick attention so I put it ahead. The Momentum beats the PX7 because it has an EQ and the PX7 doesn't. I do LOVE that the PX7 can still be connected to my phone via Bluetooth while gaming on my Xbox1 or PX4. Makes it so I don't have to ignore phone calls. Haven't tested this with the Momentum)
1) Sennheiser Momentum 3
2) B&W PX7
3) Sony 1000XM3
4) Bose N700
5) Shure Aonic 50
* The Dali and NAD don't matter as neither has an app, can be updated, eq'd, etc.

Overall -
1) Sennheiser Momentum (If I could only own one wireless anc headphone this would be it. Excellent sound, great features, great comfort, excellent for phone calls and is the only one that comes close to the Bose in this category. You'd just need to purchase a 3rd party case if you planned on traveling with them)
2) Shure Aonic 50 (If I was a traveling musician or used my wireless anc headphones for critical listening, these would be it)
3) B&W PX7 (Excellent travel headphone, unique sound signature, great features)
4) Bose N700 (Although the sound quality is mediocre, I can't argue that these are the best travel headphones on this list. Especially if you are on the phone a lot or use your voice assistant. Light, portable, compact, excellent ANC, good features, and the best mic for phone calls in the business.)
5) Sony 1000XM3 (Second best travel headphone on this list)
6) Dali iO-6 (I really loved the sound signature on these, however, they don't seal well which makes the sound without ANC enabled VERY inconsistent. Not enough modern features to compete with the rest
7) NAD Viso HP70

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,500 of 2,196
Interesting comparisons - I haven't tried but a few on the list, but would definitely put the Sony 1000XM2/3 above the PX7 for phone calls - the counterparty always complains that they can hardly hear me on the PX7, while with the 1000XM2/3 there are no complaints.

I couldn't decide between these two for comfort.

Sony rules the ANC, but since I gave mine to my wife, the PX7 has proven to be very effective on airplanes (but neither is so much as the best in-ears, like the etymotics ER series or the klipsch x12i)

I couldn't give a rat's ass about the apps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back