Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 15, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #211 of 2,197
Tried it today both in low and adaptive walking on the street with somewhat strong winds.
While the low prevented the amplification issue, the actual cancellation was close to useless for the wind coupled with the natural street noise.
Adaptive wasn't helpful either, switching between the two every 10 seconds or so.

Are you sure this isn’t just the sound of the wind whipping against the headphones?

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #213 of 2,197
I'm fairly sure it isn't just the mechanical noise of the windy against the headphones as the noise isn't present on the low setting.

Ah, weird!

There seem to be a few bugs that need fixing. I may be doing it wrong but when I turn on the ambient noise pass through, audio volume cuts drastically and volume control is disabled. This isn’t how the feature worked on PX, as I recall, but I also never really used the feature.

On the topic of bugs: anyone else finding Aptx HD connections from a DAP or transmitter cut out when connecting their iPhone as a second device? Can’t maintain a stable, usable AptX HD stream in this scenario. This is again not a problem I had with the PX.

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #214 of 2,197
There seem to be a few bugs that need fixing. I may be doing it wrong but when I turn on the ambient noise pass through, audio volume cuts drastically and volume control is disabled. This isn’t how the feature worked on PX, as I recall, but I also never really used the feature.

Perhaps it’s intended to work like the “quick attention” mode on the Sony 1000x line? Like it briefly lowers your music so you can hear announcements or talk to someone. But it would be a shame if there’s not a regular ambient pass through mode for walking around a busy street, etc.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #218 of 2,197
To add some observations after a good few hours listening:

- I find the PX7 infinitely more comfortable than the PX - the clamping force is fine, the pleather is fine, there's no pain/heat in the middle of the band on top of my head.
- The build feels much, much cheaper than that of the PX.
- The buttons on the right ear cup are not well placed - I press them accidentally every time I take the 'phones off because they are positioned just where one (me at least) naturally grabs the cup. My buttons rattle too, but I'll change the unit when a new one comes into stock at my local store.
- The soundstage is much airier, even with maximum noise cancelling
- I agree that that bass is quite controlled, and that it does not leak into or obscure the mids, but there's an awful lot of it. Too much in my view - it's almost boomy.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #219 of 2,197
- The buttons on the right ear cup are not well placed - I press them accidentally every time I take the 'phones off because they are positioned just where one (me at least) naturally grabs the cup. My buttons rattle too, but I'll change the unit when a new one comes into stock at my local store.

Agreed with regards to button placement, but hopefully it's something that's easy to get adjusted to.
Wasn't expecting two accounts of the buttons rattling :frowning2:

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #223 of 2,197
I’m just on my way home where my PX7s are waiting. Now crossing my fingers that I don’t have rattling button syndrome.

Yeah, after reading those messages I actually checked mine and I can totally see why it could rattle. The function and volume up buttons on mine are nowhere near as stable as the volume down button - same for the BT one: video https://streamable.com/csw74.
Played some music as loud as I could tolerate and shook my head a bit and still couldn't hear the rattling sound.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #224 of 2,197
- I agree that that bass is quite controlled, and that it does not leak into or obscure the mids, but there's an awful lot of it. Too much in my view - it's almost boomy.
How does this bass quantity compare to the XM3? Not sure if you've tried it, but it's really off putting on that model.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #225 of 2,197
Youtuber TheGamingAudiophile commented to my question, he also experience slight button rattle but nothing serious. May be a design error?

The function and volume up buttons on mine are nowhere near as stable as the volume down button - same for the BT one: video https://streamable.com/csw74.
Played some music as loud as I could tolerate and shook my head a bit and still couldn't hear the rattling sound.

Those are the looser buttons on mine too. The noise is slight but intrusive even at moderate volumes. It is extremely annoying with the phones on for ANC only (no music), which is something I use quite a lot at the office.

How does this bass quantity compare to the XM3? Not sure if you've tried it, but it's really off putting on that model.

I've not heard the XM3 I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back