Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #256 of 1,506
  I chuckled at the 3 headphone solution - it's kinda true. But takes up too much space :)

I totally agree that three headphones does not work if you have space constraints.

I think that no one is making a truly versatile headphone, though -- one that has NC yet sounds good without it turned on, folds up to a small size, is light to carry, and is comfortable to wear.   That's my dream.  

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #260 of 1,506
Originally Posted by mcook1970 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the opportunity to try these out for a couple of days, they are extremely comfortable and isolate very well but I definitely found them cold / dark sounding, although much improved on the P5s. 

Again, it might be a case of 'don't shoot the messenger'. Not all recordings sound on the slightly cold side. Switching over to analog/vinyl, I did not notice this characteristic. And it is still some of the best defined bass I've heard on closed headphones. I just feel that a bit more upper treble extension would warm and sweeten things up a bit.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #261 of 1,506
Issue with Momentum is the cup sizing is off so you have inconsistent reviews. Seal and fit is key in this category, think that also explains favourable comparison reports for the smaller on-ear Mo's as no inbetween with them

BTW in my play the P7 amp well with pico power, more synergy than M500. Sound becomes lush. So if you like your portable rigs then P7 recommended

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #262 of 1,506
Issue with Momentum is the cup sizing is off so you have inconsistent reviews. Seal and fit is key in this category, think that also explains favourable comparison reports for the smaller on-ear Mo's as no inbetween with them

BTW in my play the P7 amp well with pico power, more synergy than M500. Sound becomes lush. So if you like your portable rigs then P7 recommended

Yep, the P7 is slightly picky with source. I have only 2 sources to choose from, but to me there is a noticeable difference in sound when I either use it through my iPod Classic, or when I use it through the FiiO E07K connected as a DAC to my pc. The FiiO gives it a slightly warmer sound, so if you think the P7 sounds a bit cold, try a different source.

I don't hear much difference when I use the E07K as an amp with my iPod Classic using LOD vs. just straight from the iPod Classic in terms of sound signature. That difference is probably more in the subtleties that decrease listening fatigue and stuff, but I don't really know :)

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #263 of 1,506
I'm delighted to see the B&W P7 headphones. In August I purchased a pair of P5s and in fact I wrote a review here about ten days after the purchase. However two months later I think I would write an even better review than the one I originally wrote.

The P5 headphones are not the best headphones I've ever had, not in absolutely strict Hi Fi terms, but they are, probably, the most useful. There are two things that are just great about them, the first is that they sound excellent with basic sources. I use them with my first generation iPod Touch, with a PURE pocket DAB radio, plugged straight into my MacBook Pro. They always seem to get the best possible sound from these sources. I do have a small portable amplifier but with the P5 headphones I never use it.

The other thing which is great about the P5s is the isolation. These are the best isolating on-ear headphones I've ever used. As I like to listen to chamber music a lot this is essential for me.

The combination of sounding great plugged straight into basic sources and excellent isolation mean that I think the P5s are really just the best headphones for portable use that I have tried.

I imagine the P7s have even better isolation than the P5s, but I wonder if the P7 headphones have the same flexibility regarding source?

The P5s have a great advantage in being compact and fitting very easily into a small shoulder bag. I suspect I would find the P7s a bit large for truly portable use. However they might be good for use when travelling longer distances, use on aeroplanes or when on holiday for example.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #264 of 1,506
If you really enjoy the P5 that much I very much doubt you will appreciate the P7. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #265 of 1,506
  If you really enjoy the P5 that much I very much doubt you will appreciate the P7. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I created my first Hi Fi system in the 70s and I have listened to music through many Hi Fi systems and headphones from then until now. I also love to listen to music live of course. Today I listen to classical music almost exclusively and I have a love of the impressionists, best known being Debussy and Ravel. I mention this because impressionism is really a great "hi fi" listen as well as being truly marvellous music.

I am very capable of assessing and enjoying music played through Hi Fi equipment. I am not much interested in rude comments from people. Most often people who have very little experience of things are the ones that believe that by being rude in some way it will make them look impressive.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #266 of 1,506
It's very interesting to read your thoughts on the P5 as I thought that they sounded awful, with a very congested and 'muddy' tonal quality. Notwithstanding the diabolical sonics, the P5 are very well designed and supremely comfortable. It just goes to show that we all hear music differently!

Cheers,
Andy.

I'm delighted to see the B&W P7 headphones. In August I purchased a pair of P5s and in fact I wrote a review here about ten days after the purchase. However two months later I think I would write an even better review than the one I originally wrote.

The P5 headphones are not the best headphones I've ever had, not in absolutely strict Hi Fi terms, but they are, probably, the most useful. There are two things that are just great about them, the first is that they sound excellent with basic sources. I use them with my first generation iPod Touch, with a PURE pocket DAB radio, plugged straight into my MacBook Pro. They always seem to get the best possible sound from these sources. I do have a small portable amplifier but with the P5 headphones I never use it.

The other thing which is great about the P5s is the isolation. These are the best isolating on-ear headphones I've ever used. As I like to listen to chamber music a lot this is essential for me.

The combination of sounding great plugged straight into basic sources and excellent isolation mean that I think the P5s are really just the best headphones for portable use that I have tried.

I imagine the P7s have even better isolation than the P5s, but I wonder if the P7 headphones have the same flexibility regarding source?

The P5s have a great advantage in being compact and fitting very easily into a small shoulder bag. I suspect I would find the P7s a bit large for truly portable use. However they might be good for use when travelling longer distances, use on aeroplanes or when on holiday for example.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #267 of 1,506

Yep, the P7 is slightly picky with source. I have only 2 sources to choose from, but to me there is a noticeable difference in sound when I either use it through my iPod Classic, or when I use it through the FiiO E07K connected as a DAC to my pc. The FiiO gives it a slightly warmer sound, so if you think the P7 sounds a bit cold, try a different source.

I don't hear much difference when I use the E07K as an amp with my iPod Classic using LOD vs. just straight from the iPod Classic in terms of sound signature. That difference is probably more in the subtleties that decrease listening fatigue and stuff, but I don't really know :)

Very interesting comments relating to amping. I tend to use a FiiO E12 amp with the M500s, which is more neutral compared with the E07k and E17. Perhaps I will need to give the P7s another try using a different amp.

So, would you summise that overall the P7s are better than the M500s?

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #268 of 1,506

I'm interested to hear about what other P7 owners think about going without amplification and using the iPhone or iPad as the source. I know dedicated mobile amplifiers and DACs are big with this group.

I plan to add a decent amplifier/DAC in the future. But in the meantime I think the P7 still sounds better than my P5 without an amplifier and using the same iOS devices. Granted the physical size of the P5 is very handy from the mobile storage aspect. I think once it is on my head the size really doesn't matter. 

I have yet to try the P7 on the road. I usually use a small Tom Bihn bag and my iPad while traveling. I don't know if the P7 will fit it my existing bag. I'll check that out. Certainly it will fit in my Jack Spade messenger bag with a tablet or laptop.  

If the size and the extra money doesn't put you off (which I suppose it could), I think the solid sound improvement over the P5 is worth it. As others have said no one headphone can do it all. I'm trying to keep my collection down to four headphones that cover most needs. If this sounds to crazy then by all means accept a compromise makes better sense. My spouse would like me to compromise by having no headphones :wink:

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #269 of 1,506
Very interesting comments relating to amping. I tend to use a FiiO E12 amp with the M500s, which is more neutral compared with the E07k and E17. Perhaps I will need to give the P7s another try using a different amp.

So, would you summise that overall the P7s are better than the M500s?

Well I haven't done a direct comparison between the P7 and M500, was only able to do so from memory (which is unreliable with these things). I only did a direct A/B with the Momentum and to me, personally, in many respects the P7 is better than the Momentum. And I'll soon be doing an A/B with the B&O H6 which I should receive tomorrow, because I'm still not sold on the comfort with the P7 (actually not sold at all, my left ear hurts after a while and no matter what fit I try it can't get a comfortable fit on my left ear. My right ear is perfect though). I'm just worried I won't like the sound of the B&O as much, from what I've read so far. But we'll see, different ears, different experience :)

As for the M500, from memory all I can really say is that the M500 is also a very good headphone. To me personally I didn't like the quality of the vocals with some songs on the M500, it would sound a bit unnatural to me. Again, only with some songs, with others they sounded great. And to me there sounded like there was a slight peak in the upper mids which would make certain treblish sounds (I'm not that great with all the sound language yet, so forgive me) sound a bit harsh at times (there we several times that I felt like yanking off the headphone because it was a bit too harsh to my liking, those specific sounds). Having said that, I thought the M500 was overall a very delicious sound headphone and I regretted returning them (mostly because of comfort issues). I'd say the M500 and P7 both have a big soundstage (not sure which one's bigger though) and both have a nice deep bass that's not overpowering the rest of the spectrum. I think I'd overall prefer the mids of the P7. And the highs I guess is a draw (but again, it's been a few weeks now since I last heard the M500 so it's not very reliable). They're both quite detailed, but in different ways. On some songs I remember hearing different details than I do with the P7, perhaps because the M500 either has more forward mids compared to the P7, or the P7 has more recessed mids compared to the M500 (I don't know which one is more neutral in the mids). But again, overall I like the way the mids sound on the P7 a bit more than the M500, especially the vocals.

As for the amps, when using the iPod classic, you're basically using a Cirrus Logic DAC, which apparently has a somewhat dryer sound. When using the Fiio E07K as a DAC, you're using a Wolfson chip as a DAC, which apparently has a somewhat warmer sound. Using the E07K purely as an amp with the iPod classic still produces more or less the same sound that is produced by the Cirrus Logic DAC, or at least I'm not hearing any differences. From what I've read, the E12 is a fairly neutral amp and doesn't add much or any coloration to the input signal. So yeah, try a different amp, they might become a bit more alive to your ears with a different amp. I think the bass is slightly fuller (in a nice way) when using the E07k as a DAC through my laptop.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #270 of 1,506
Just to clarify, the Pico Power is being fed by Clas -dB. As a near 1k build then anything had better sound good with it
tongue.gif
Have limited experienced with Fiio solutions. Not that I am a price snob, but they always hiss with IEM which is a killer for me you appreciate (see sig)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back