Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Dec 6, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #1,472 of 1,506
These flared up my tinnitus after one hour of normal listening levels. This morning was hell and still feeling it. I listen to my in ear Bluetooth headphones every day and they don't hurt one bit.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,473 of 1,506
Just got these last night.  Listening to 320K MP3 via Slacker Premium streaming or 256kbps AAC iTunes

They need burn in.  Sounded veiled last night, burned in overnight (14 hours now) with high volume mix of things using my iPhone6 as source.  Much better now.

I have Chord Mojo (2 weeks old) and 4 or 5 year old JH Audio 11Pro IEMs.  No surprise that these B&W P7 don't sound as good as the IEMs, but they're still very good.  Not going to AB compare the 11Pro to the P7 yet.  The P7 might still need some burn in and the price difference is significant.

At first I'd thought there was no difference between using iPhone6 and using Mojo.  There is, but it is very slight.  The vocal-forward part of the Mojo is noticeable and the clarity is a notch up, but the difference isn't as noticeable with the P7 as it is with the IEMs.  Since I have the Mojo I'd use it but I wouldn't recommend getting the Mojo for these headphones since the price/performance change isn't huge.  On the other hand, the iPhone6 is supposed to be a very good playback device, so if your playback device sucks (like my laptop) then the Mojo is recommended for anything. 

Side note: using iTunes versions of the Kaytranada song "Your're the one" and Train song "Hey, Soul Sister" as the comparisons and just switching back and forth between iPhone out and Mojo out. 

So I'm not regretting the choice after burn in, they sound very nice and work great with or without a specialized amp. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,475 of 1,506
Mar 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,477 of 1,506
Just got these last night.  Listening to 320K MP3 via Slacker Premium streaming or 256kbps AAC iTunes

They need burn in.  Sounded veiled last night, burned in overnight (14 hours now) with high volume mix of things using my iPhone6 as source.  Much better now.

I have Chord Mojo (2 weeks old) and 4 or 5 year old JH Audio 11Pro IEMs.  No surprise that these B&W P7 don't sound as good as the IEMs, but they're still very good.  Not going to AB compare the 11Pro to the P7 yet.  The P7 might still need some burn in and the price difference is significant.

At first I'd thought there was no difference between using iPhone6 and using Mojo.  There is, but it is very slight.  The vocal-forward part of the Mojo is noticeable and the clarity is a notch up, but the difference isn't as noticeable with the P7 as it is with the IEMs.  Since I have the Mojo I'd use it but I wouldn't recommend getting the Mojo for these headphones since the price/performance change isn't huge.  On the other hand, the iPhone6 is supposed to be a very good playback device, so if your playback device sucks (like my laptop) then the Mojo is recommended for anything. 

Side note: using iTunes versions of the Kaytranada song "Your're the one" and Train song "Hey, Soul Sister" as the comparisons and just switching back and forth between iPhone out and Mojo out. 

So I'm not regretting the choice after burn in, they sound very nice and work great with or without a specialized amp. 

I find the mojo to simply suck with just an iPhone. Have you tried connecting via USB to computer or to slink in any way? I find it opens up the mojo much more.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,479 of 1,506
I find the mojo to simply suck with just an iPhone. Have you tried connecting via USB to computer or to slink in any way? I find it opens up the mojo much more.

Just been doing some A/B testing with that today. At first there was a difference; the computer was sub-par... BUT... turns out computer had 128kbps set on while iPhone has 320kbps set. Once both on 320 they sound the same using the Mojo. Either way I'm using the USB to drive the Mojo.

Starting to enjoy the P7 more though. The Mojo does open them up quite a bit.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #1,480 of 1,506
Hello all :)

I'm a happy P7 user. I have a Sony NW-WM1A and I'd like to know if a cable for the P7 with balanced output for the NW-WM1A balanced input exists (4.4mm jack IIRC) ?

Thanks !

Nad

The P7 headphone is not balanced. The left and right sides share a common ground which passes through the headband. You could only achieve "balanced" by running separate cables to each ear.

Edited: to say P7 rather than P9

May 29, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #1,481 of 1,506
I just got the P7 for less than a week now and boy am I so happy. I must say that the P7 is my long overdued guilty pleasure or the 3+ year itch that I had been keeping from the first moment I have heard of them for demo and I was then in love. initially I was hesitant to get one of these considering the premium I had to pay for them and since there isn't a store that carries them anymore til about a few months ago that a HiFi centre which I haven't known that existed downtown carries them. but still I didn't get them for the reason that it had some durability issues concerning the cushion and the right can giving out after about a year or 2 of use. so I have considered some alternatives like the M50x, HP50, H6 and H8, QC35 and the wireless P5. I still didn't bought those cans eventhough they sound great but I was looking for that signature sound that made me love the P7 but still some close competition. mind you I didn't buy the P7 either but rather redeemed the points I have for them. was initially going for the H8 but then saw the H6 and then the P7. once I saw the P7, I didn't have to second guess and just immediately ordered them. mind you I would have opted for the P7w if they were only available. I would however, consider buying the P7w for Christmas as the main on-the-go headphone as the wired P7 always get pulled accidentally while wearing them outdoors. also, I could give these wired ones to my wife as she loves them and got addicted to them. my wife is no audiophile but she has some certain sound tastes that pretty much fits the P7 sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back