Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Sep 27, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,636 of 2,023
I bought a pair of P9s earlier in the week and am blown away by the quality. I've only started to dip my tie in to the Audiophile world and am not well versed in the finer points of good and bad. I just know that they sound ridiculously good when I'm sitting at my computer in the office each day.

I do have one query - can anyone confirm what functionality the app has with the P9s once they're connected via lightning cable? the ones I bought didn't come with one, and I don't see what the app can do re: wear sensor and noise cancelling as these are what come only in the PX.

Thanks
The App is for the PX only.

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #1,638 of 2,023
I can see that, I had an Aeon Closed here for a few weeks and while there were without a doubt strong points, I did find the Aeon lacked some bass and weight to the notes.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #1,639 of 2,023
I’m seeing a few ridiculous sales going on for the P9s here in New Zealand, from 1500-1700 NZD to 900 NZD. It makes me wonder if B&W have a new flagship about to come out. Also, makes buying a pair that more tempting too :wink:

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #1,640 of 2,023
I’m seeing a few ridiculous sales going on for the P9s here in New Zealand, from 1500-1700 NZD to 900 NZD. It makes me wonder if B&W have a new flagship about to come out. Also, makes buying a pair that more tempting too :wink:

I guess it’s a few years old now so wouldn’t surprise me. I’d love to see a new design. As much as I loved the sound they were just too uncomfortable for me so went for PM1’s but wouldn’t hesitate coming back.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,641 of 2,023
I guess it’s a few years old now so wouldn’t surprise me. I’d love to see a new design. As much as I loved the sound they were just too uncomfortable for me so went for PM1’s but wouldn’t hesitate coming back.
The PM1 is a lovely headphone, you are lucky. I would hold onto that one as it will be a collectors item. I had one with me for a few weeks and was really impressed. I owned the PM3 which was great in it's own right, but the PM1 was pretty darn nice. Wish I could have bought it at the time.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,642 of 2,023
The PM1 is a lovely headphone, you are lucky. I would hold onto that one as it will be a collectors item. I had one with me for a few weeks and was really impressed. I owned the PM3 which was great in it's own right, but the PM1 was pretty darn nice. Wish I could have bought it at the time.

Oh I love my PM1's and will be keeping them but I do miss the P9 for when I fancy a bit more fun and thump. Ideally I'd love both but wouldn't we all!

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,643 of 2,023
Oh I love my PM1's and will be keeping them but I do miss the P9 for when I fancy a bit more fun and thump. Ideally I'd love both but wouldn't we all!
Indeed we would. Cheers.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,644 of 2,023
Just had my P9s go back to B&W, as the right earpiece started creaking. They sent me a replament set in a couple of days, even though they warned me the wait could be a couple of weeks.
I must say the customer service has been superb in this instance.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,646 of 2,023
Just picked the P9. Wow, I’m loving these cans so far. Very dark and smooth like an HD650, but with much better bass extension.

I’ve been looking for a smooth, non-fatiguing can similar to the 650 with better bass for awhile... These might work. Time will tell if they are fatiguing or not. So far so good.

A bit on the heavy side, though. Wish they’d made the thick metal bits out of carbon fibre. Similar “luxury look” and the can would weigh like 330g...

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,647 of 2,023
Just picked the P9. Wow, I’m loving these cans so far. Very dark and smooth like an HD650, but with much better bass extension.

I’ve been looking for a smooth, non-fatiguing can similar to the 650 with better bass for awhile... These might work. Time will tell if they are fatiguing or not. So far so good.

A bit on the heavy side, though. Wish they’d made the thick metal bits out of carbon fibre. Similar “luxury look” and the can would weigh like 330g...

I haven’t found them fatiguing at all. Used them nearly every day since I bought them in September 2017

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,649 of 2,023
Yeah, these are fan-bleeping-tastic cans. Every listening session I’m more impressed.

Every review I’ve read talks about the price being so exorbitant... But with a street price of around $800, I’m just not seeing it. Everything this competes with is $1400-$2000...

What I’m hearing so far:

Absolutely world class treble. On par with anything out there. Same goes for the mids. Bass, while tight and incredibly detailed, is still obviously tuned for fun... but with many recordings, particularly one-guy-and-an-accoustic-guitar-tracks, I’ve often found that to be more accurate than “accurate” if that makes sense... With live music you do hear a resonance and depth of, say, a slapped acoustic guitar body, that isn’t generally picked up by studio mics. Soundstage is superb for a closed can. Separation is another strong point.

These are just terrific cans, period... At any price point.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,650 of 2,023
I kind of regret selling the P7s. They were such a unique sounding headphone with addictive bass. I got to demo the P9 one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back