Bought RHA T10i to replace UE 900
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DefBringer

New Head-Fier
I've had my UE 900 for about a year, they were purchased (blindly) from an Apple store. Since the purchase, I have had a hate-hate relationship: I hate the cord, I hate the cheap build quality, I despise the lack of true, powerful low-end bass extension.  

Recently have heard really good things here about RHA's IEM's and decided to take the plunge on some T10i's that recently surfaced at a local store.

After 3 days of listening to a variety of music, I decided the RHA's were a real bargain - the build quality is EXCEPTIONAL. The cabling is a true joy to deal with, no microphonics, and they do not snag to every single thing in the universe like the fishing-lure-like UE 900's.    The sound is lovely, nice and warm with true bass presence that reminds me why I like electronic music and hip hop so much.

I boxed up my UE 900's and was prepared to put them on eBay (for how much??) but decided to give them one last listen.

Hmm...hold on.

Immediately it was apparent that the T10i's suffer from a very obvious veil that obfuscates vocals - treble is suppressed, and this was with the T10i's "Treble Tuning Filter" on.  The piercing Korg lead synths on some remastered Gary Numan songs were much more searing and powerful in their attack on the UE 900's.  The T10i is just generally more muddy, less expansive in breadth of soundstage, a lot "heavier".

It's a good IEM bargain at $200 and for a guy like me who won't buy headphones online (been burned too many times on returns) there are few better options.  But for me, they're going back to the store.  Meanwhile, the hunt continues for a UE 900 replacement...I'm thinking Sennheiser this time as I have never had a bad headphone from those guys in all my years.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 3
Have a look at Fidue A83, really brings the best of both world with such clarity and great bass when called upon, I think you will find this suits you better based on the above story.

Thread here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/725161/fidue-a83-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi, I've got the TF10 and also noticed a veil on RHA in comparison. You might want to try the new VSD5 which brings detail and bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back