Boston meet 5-28-11
May 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

skullguise

Headphoneus Supremus
Just starting this off, not much for impressions but a few quick pics.  Turnout was disappointing, given the possible attendees.  But a very good time was had, during and after.

Some pics, from a cheap camera.  Others with better cameras (and better eyes for the shot) can post.

First up: jp11801's setup, MBP with some hi-rez and other music, feeding the Metric Halo, and off to the FET-tastic amp driving A-T 2000's and LCD-2's.  The Hi-Rez stuff was GREAT!

Next: nikongod's setup.  He or others will need to fill in the details on mods he's done to the quipment.  But first is the Zhaolu DAC, also in pic with Grado's (SR60 IIRC)

Then was a transformer-cpoupled SS amp, driving a pair of Skullcandy's.  Easily best sound of show, if it weren't for the bit of buzzing.  Ari couldn't find a component to fix the issue, so we were left to imagine what could be.  BTW, the Skullcandy's sucked until they were recabled.  Ari is a frigging genius!  (BTW, in case you didn't get it:
tongue.gif
 )

Last up, the Silver Ghost amp driving a pair of Senn 800's.  Wonderful stuff, this was later hooked up to JP#'s source to really show off some great music.

Emooze brought his DIY setup, and it sounded great as well.  He had his exstata with a pair of Lambda's.

A TP Opus DAC fed from Netbook had some good tunes going.  We experimented with levels of water in the glass, and found "the glass half full" worked best for the sound.

And then emooze's DIY M^3 driving anothe rpair of Grado's (SR-80 I think)

Andy (sorry, depssite you telling me, forgot screen name!) set up Netbook, uDAC, Kicas Caliente, and Senn 580's.  A nice selection of music had me and some other tapping their toes, remembering how funt he 580's can be.

[Need to stop here, need to pop out for a while, will post more tonight]

May 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 13
I had a great time, a huge thank you to Adrian (Emooze) for organizing. I have to say I am quite disappointed that so many people requested a Boston meet and the turn out was an entire 7-10 people at any time.

I know Adrian was being super nice about it, but I am guessing he lost $200-300 on the room costs. If you guys want a Boston meet next year or the following years you're going to have to do it yourselves. This was pathetic, but I can't say I am entirely surprised with this new Headfi.

May 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 13
Just got back to PA, Adrian thanks for setting this up!

Those that said they would show and bailed or those that came and didn't kick in should pm Emooze and paypal him a few bucks

Impressions to follow

May 29, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 13
You said it better than i did, guys!  Those who were there enjoyed......

Back to some more pics:

skullguise (me) had the Spritzer-modded 727 driving the O2 Mk I's....

Sources were a Panny DVD player driving one of two DAC's, a Rega DAC or Eastern Electric Minimax.  A cheap switchbox allowed one to switch back and forth between DAC's  I was actually surprised, but both DAC's sounded pretty similar in many ways.

Young (trevorlane) brought a bevvy of goodness, using a MacBook Pro and feeding a Sonic Frontiers SFD 2 Mk II DAC, vias M2Tech Evo and Assemblage D2D upsampler.

That fed into a KGSS and O2 Mk I's.  Another great sounding system!

Stefan (pbandstefanwich) brought some nice DIY goodies....another MacBook Pro (Macs outnumbered PC's 3 to 2 at this meet) fed a Gamma 2 DAC in a nice wood/metal oval case (sorry, not in pic, behin the Mac), then to a Beta 22 amp.

This amp drove any one of the Allesandro MS-Pro's, Grado PS-1000's, HF-2's, or "in limbo" Grado Magnum V2's (cups on route for V3 upgrade).  I heard the PS-1000 a tiny bit, sounded very nice!

Some others came later with mostly headphones, but my camera was away by that point.

Despite the poor turnout, we had a good time, got 5 Guys burgers for lunch, had some very good beer (liked that East India Porter quite a bit, JP!), got to have a ball with the "Wing-Man" (poor 14 17 year old).  The hotel iteself was not as well equipped for us, they hadn't set up tables and the power situation left a lot to be desired.  But those that were there had a good time, and some went out afterwards to a good dinner and some more alcohol.  Oh, and one really nice tattoo
biggrin.gif
 <-- Why the heck didn't we get a picture of that so Ari could have something to do in NJ?!

Despite many years on Head-Fi, last year @ Boston was my first meet.  That was great, with a lot of great folks and good gear.  This one didn't have the quantity, but the quality was great.  And yes, those who said they'd be there and backed out without any comments should do something for emooze!!

May 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 13
I can attest to the fact that as soon as the half empty...or was it half full glass was removed, my audio nirvana was shot, spat upon, and tenderized

May 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 13
I had a great time at the meet catching up with everyone. Many thanks to Emoze, it was a great time. It was a bummer so few noob's came, these things are really quite fun when you actually go.

A few quick snaps:

Many thanks to smokinghotwaiterwithcooltattooandshirt(female) for taking this photo. 

May 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 13
JPnums, that's a great suggestion about sending Emooze some money via Paypal. I hope everyone that went contributed something.

I really, really wish I could have come. Looks like a good time despite the low turnout. I hope there's a Boston meet next year so I can make up for having missed this one (and either a B22 or Stax will be coming too, depending on what I feel like doing this summer)

Those chrome PS1000s look bizzare, like something out of a science fiction movie! I actually really hope they go back to the old look, though I haven't seen the new ones in person.

Some amazing setups no doubt, despite the turnout. I wish I could have heard those Skullcandies on that terrific amp of Aris :devil_face:.

May 30, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 13
the Skullcandies sounded ok from the mids on up but really bass, great look and feel

Ari's Silver Ghost paired with the HD800s sounded great I'm not sure why the 800 responds so well to an OTL amp they do. 

The PS1000s sounded pretty good and the BLING look is not bad in person. I'd like to see them do a run in black either polished or matte. I wish I had more time with the Magnum Grado set that was there. They sounded pretty good but the noise (heck even 7 headfiers can make a racket) from the meet kept me from getting a good feel for them. The DIY Beta amp that powered them sounded great with them. I am not normally a fan of the Beta but paired with grados the sound takes off. 

Adrian's stat rig was really nice he had the exstata paired with a DIY Buffalo DAC and a pair of Lamdas. The sound is really clean and detailed and never bright the Lambdas could use more body but that a nit with the headphone. 

Todd, it is always great to see you, that Rega DAC is very cool looking and after hearing the O2s out of your modded 727 it made me want to put together another stat rig.

I had a great time at Dinner after the meet at this is where the events really shine, great people, beer and food. 

Honorable mention to Buffalowings who took several modes of transportation to get to the event. He proves if you really want to attend one of these you'll find a way. 

May 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Sorry, I didn't take any pictures...

Big thanks to everyone who came and a HUGE thanks to everyone who donated to cover the room cost. Thanks to one head-fier (wishes to remain anonymous) I am actually now squared away with the cost of the room.

Not that I regret paying for the room at all, I had a lot of fun before, during and after the meet as always. The only bad thing is that I most likely will not be in the area next year to host another one.

May 31, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #12 of 13
This is my first time back on head-fi in a long while.  This was the first post I searched out, and I'm sorry to read that turnout was not so hot.

I have to apologize for not making it to the meet.  I have had two pretty severe family issues crop up within the past two weeks or so.

I was just about to PM Emooze to contribute what I normally would to the meet but I see the room was paid for, amazingly.  Thank you anonymous head-fi'er.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 13
I just wanted to thank Emooze for taking the time to put the meet together. There was plenty of quality gear to listen too. The food and drink was excellent as well. All that and I think it was Skullguise who dropped a Geto Boys reference! What’s not to like?  Also I’m glad that someone was kind enough and helped out paying for the room. Emooze shared with me the cost of the room and I thought it was unfair for one person to absorb that expense.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back