Bose Triport TP-1 - actually, a damn good gaming headphone
Dec 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus

NOTE: Mad Lust Envy .. since you have such an inclusive gaming headphone post here, I'd be more than happy to send you my back up pair for some testing (long as your in the US)

So a while back I bought a pair of these for $25 here at head-fi.org. I just had to hear for myself if they were as bad as folks say...

And sure enough, as a music listening can, they are indeed way the hell out of bounds and exaggerated pretty much across all the frequency ranges ... unnaturally pronounced bass (though distortion free), really aggressive mids, etc. Though completely emphasized in those regards, they are still somewhat very clear sounding and I can see why so many Joe Consumer(tm) types really like them. They're offensive to my inner audiophile but the part of me that understands my father's simple tastes, totally gets why folk like him like them.

Also ... and this is what gave me the bright idea of trying them as gaming headphones, they sound isolate very well and they (again, quite exaggerated) also have a sort of, almost DSP like, extra large sound stage going on (for a closed can, it's pretty big). I think the sound stage thing is because the drivers are set flush, against the outside/back of the cups and are a good 1 to 1.5" away from the ear (I took them apart to see what was going on) ... 

And so I thought, why not give them a shot with games?

I'm a die hard fan of the Storm Sirus 5.1 headphones, BTW ... at least for my desktop gaming requirements; I've used them religiously for the past four years or so and have found no other headphone (especially emulated 2.1) to come any where NEAR matching them in regards to positional headphone audio and especially, in discreetly separating the channels of a 5.1 enabled game, and I've tried a gazillion low end and high end 2.1 emulated solutions.

So I hooked up the Bose Triport TP-1's in lieu of my typical Sirus kit ... and also added in the Razer Synapse 2.0 7.1 emulated surround software and fired up a session of Alien Isolation (an insanely good benchmark for headphone surround) ... 

And man .. I was pretty much blown the feck away. The anti-musical Bose Triports turned out to be among the best 2.1 emulated gaming cans I've ever used ...

The exaggerated bass turned out to be *perfect* for the gaming environment .. so too the forward mids and ridiculous sound staging. And the overall sound isolation yielded sonic immersion in spades. 

These most hated of cans (at least among those of us with proper music listening gear) have become so much a staple in my gaming laptop bag that I recently bought a back up pair off ebay for $45 bucks since I know they are a bit of the dinosaur and aren't being made any more.

So if you game a lot and see a pair of these things for 20 to $40 dollars, I highly recommend getting a pair for gaming and use them in combination with some sort of emulated surround processing software like the Razer Synapse 2.0 warez mentioned above ...

Believe it or not ... 

Bose should re release them and simply market them as Gaming Headphones (and also, since they are so good at faking *****, go ahead and develop their own emulated surround software to go with them)

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back