bose triport headphones and alternatives
Feb 13, 2006 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

fguihen

100+ Head-Fier
i was in my local electronics store a few days ago and the bose triport headphones were availiable for demonstration. i gave them a go and thought they were amazing. and only €180! now this is more than i care to spend on headphones,but im still thinking of buying them, but im wondering if there are any better headphones, of similar style to the triport headphones ( ones that cover the whole ear and block out most noise) that might be as good a quality but a little cheaper

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 52
I have nothing against the triports... but I have a hard time believing that you've made 100 posts here and haven't read about Bose.

They are not highly regarded around here, so get ready for the suggestions.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
I have nothing against the triports... but I have a hard time believing that you've made 100 posts here and haven't read about Bose.

They are not highly regarded around here, so get ready for the suggestions.

Looks like he really only has posted in the DAP forum.

No buy Triports. No. BAD.

Get some KSC 75s instead, without the volume control if you can find it. Or a Grado SR60 for $70.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 52
How much are you willing to spend? Do you listen to a certain genre of music? There are good headphones out there that do costs less than the Bose and are comfortable and durable as well. Most of the manufacturers on this site www.headphone.com are regarded as being the best. But there are many options and some more information from you might be necessary to help you.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 52
yea, i have most posts in the dap forum. i have never gotten into the headphone forum much. im supprised on you all putting down bose. from reading revews they seem to be one of the top producers of acoustic solutions, but im guessin that reputation doesnt span to headphones. thanks for the info folks

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 52
i listen to everything. i love blues, metal, classic rock, unplugged acoustic styles, jazz, some pop. so a good all rounder is what i need. i think, from reading reviews il get the AKG K 26 P. they seem to get rave reviews and are great value for the cost.im willing to spend up to $100, but preferably less.

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 52
SR60 from Grado, great headphone, sounds great with this type of music. as for Bose, that company was once a great audio company, but the founder has since retired and the managers have turned it into a name, not a product.

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
SR60 from Grado, great headphone, sounds great with this type of music. as for Bose, that company was once a great audio company, but the founder has since retired and the managers have turned it into a name, not a product.

Really? I thought Bose has been like since the day they founded it but it seems they made good stuff back in the days. That's very sad. I just want to cry when I see people who believe they are audiophiles because they spent $150 on a pair of Triports... or going into an airplane and seeing everybody with QC2s. Out of the topic, the SR60s are open and he's looking for closed headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fguihen
i listen to everything. i love blues, metal, classic rock, unplugged acoustic styles, jazz, some pop. so a good all rounder is what i need. i think, from reading reviews il get the AKG K 26 P. they seem to get rave reviews and are great value for the cost.im willing to spend up to $100, but preferably less.

If you are willing to spend $150 on a pair of headphones, get the Audio Technica ATH-ES7. They are one of the most beautiful AT cans and they'll sound better than the Triports. They are not available in the U.S. so you may have to buy them from Audiocubes. If however, you want something cheaper, then the K 26 P will fit the bill. I own a pair and have heard the Triports and for 1/3 the price I think they sound better.

EDIT: There's also a white version of the K 26 P you may want to look at: The K 27i

Hope this helps.
701smile.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 52
I can attest to the fact that Bose used to make quality products. Mostly because the Bose family is a family friend, and i have met the son. However, nowadays they are terrible headphones, and i would imagine that their speakers are not up to par either.
-g

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 52
I have heard the Bose Triports. Soft highs; dull, lifeless, recessed mids. Average resolution and speed for cheap phones, I think. Didn't get enough time to analyze the bass, it had noticible impact but I have no idea about quality. Very comfortable and lightweight, though likely to make the ears sweat. Overall, it would be a nice $30 headphone.

Of course, it sells here for $150...

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd recommend in their place.

The Sony MDR-V6/7506 has some tonal similarities but is more aggressive across the entire spectrum, I think; if you don't find them harsh you'll probably find them more lively and detailed, at half the price of the Triports.

The Sennheiser HD280 has a neutral tone, lacks some oomph for rock and metal, but the smooth highs and sweet mids are great for softer music. Listen to these for a while and you will learn why the Triports are only worth $30.

Those are the only two closed mid-fi headphones I have much experience with, but I'm sure people here can suggest others, especially if you're willing to pay the price of the Triports.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

yea, i have most posts in the dap forum. i have never gotten into the headphone forum much. im supprised on you all putting down bose. from reading revews they seem to be one of the top producers of acoustic solutions, but im guessin that reputation doesnt span to headphones. thanks for the info folks

Yeah, but what reviews are you reading? A lot of consumers buy these thinking they're the best headphones in the world, and don't listen to anything better. They directly compare them to iPod earbuds, and they're more dynamic with more heavy midbass then those. They hit the "sweet spots" at first listen on some songs, but fail horribly at most things.

Besides, if you were Joe America and you'd just spent $150 on headphones that everyone says are the best, are you going to badmouth them?

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

from reading revews they seem to be one of the top producers of acoustic solutions, but im guessin that reputation doesnt span to headphones. thanks for the info folks

Amar's marketing machine has worked.

Actually their home and automotive speaker systems also suck big time. Cheap paper cones. One note bass. Limited frequency response. Horrible processing used to give a larger sound stage. Oh and extremely overpriced.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Get the Bose Triports

Technical specifications can only take you so far
Go with what your ears enjoy

Dude!! With all due respect, where trying to help the member save his hard earned money, and not get suckered into an overblown product!

Take my advice!! DON'T GET THE TRIPORTS!!!. Let us guide you in the direction of quality musical enjoyment from our experiences, trust me, you will be thanking everyone later!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back