Bose QC15 - Completely Shocked!!!
Jul 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Maukey

500+ Head-Fier
Now I know most on these forums say that Bose is overpriced, and in some instances, I agree. I must admit though,  I'm really loving the sound of these cans.  It's known that the noise canceling is the best in the business, but I honestly didn't think I would enjoy the sound this much. It's not neutral by any means, and I won't even say they're the usual fun sounding cans.  The best way I can describe the sound to my ears is Natural.  They just sound right. Now I'm not saying these are the best available, but they are much better than I was lead to believe. For me they easily beat out the MDR7506, the HD555 (595 modded), HTF600 (Still prefer these for some tunes), SR850, SRH840, SL150, Beats Studio, XB500, HD280 and 380.

However, this isn't what shocked me the most with these cans.  It was that these sound great with gaming.  I'm using a EarForce DSS Dolby Headphone Amp, and the way the QC15s sound paired with it was breathtaking.  The QC15 doesn't have the biggest sound stage, but the way they were designed to display acoustics allow you to hear details you normally wouldn't with closed cans. Perfect bass and detail for me. And with the ANC, I get an unmatched immersive experience.

And just so you all will see I'm not just talking, there's another user on CNET that had the same experience. When you go to the link below, it should be the very first review titled "Horses for Courses"

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/bose-quiet-comfort-15/4852-7877_7-33766864.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

Please don't flame me, as these are just my opinions. But I definitely recommend these cans!

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 42
Glad other people are trying these - it's only taken a decade or so for people to overcome the prejudice...

I agree on the gaming bit, and the "natural" argument - they sound "right" even if they're not technically perfect. One of my favorite closed headphones, and probably the best sealed/high-isolating can out there. And quite comfortable to boot!

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 42
Glad other people are trying these - it's only taken a decade or so for people to overcome the prejudice...
I agree on the gaming bit, and the "natural" argument - they sound "right" even if they're not technically perfect. One of my favorite closed headphones, and probably the best sealed/high-isolating can out there. And quite comfortable to boot!
Obobskivich, it's funny that you're one of the first to reply because your praise of the QC15s was one of my factors in deciding on them.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 42
I like 'em. Super comfortable (like my HD800s in that regard), sound pretty good and simply the best noise cancelling I've heard. I tried using my DT1350s or Westone 4s on a plane and they both did admirable jobs, but they still let the hum of the plane through so much that I had to crank up the volume (not a good thing). But not with the QC15s. Bonus: no extra amping needed and you can simply use them as a noise cancelling device and catch some shut eye when flying.

Price to performance is a problem, but if you want dead silence when flying and the best noise cancelling there is...IMO these are them. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 42
for people out there considering these qc15, try them in store to get a feel for the noise cancelling
not hating on bose as i have a bose wave radio and love them but when i tried these in store, no matter how good the music sounded, or how much noise it blocks out, the pressure on my ears just irritated me too much

for those who love qc15, how do you deal with the noise cancelling? do you ignore them/ barely feel them?

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 42
Besides the sound quality which is nice, the cable is a problem. I expected a stronger cable..for the price. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:
for people out there considering these qc15, try them in store to get a feel for the noise cancelling
not hating on bose as i have a bose wave radio and love them but when i tried these in store, no matter how good the music sounded, or how much noise it blocks out, the pressure on my ears just irritated me too much

for those who love qc15, how do you deal with the noise cancelling? do you ignore them/ barely feel them?

The funny thing with the QC2/3 is that the noise cancelling really bothered me. But for some reason, the changes made to the QC15s produce NC that doesn't bother me.

Besides the sound quality which is nice, the cable is a problem. I expected a stronger cable..for the price. 

Agreed, but I wouldn't want too thick a cable (like the beyer T1s) for a portable headphone that's meant to be used on the go either.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Agreed, but I wouldn't want too thick a cable (like the beyer T1s) for a portable headphone that's meant to be used on the go either.

Yes, you're right. 

Or at least a decent cable, like the one used on the AKG K450. 
(after some time of use a friend run into issues with the cable) thats my main concern. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 42
I've decided to buy these cans when I was trying them at the Apple Store af fifth ave in NYC. I put them on and all the noise from people in the store just disappeared, didn't even need a high volume on the ipod. I thought it could be useful and it really is. When I'm in a noisy place, they're my best companion. I can't even think how they compare to audiophile cans, I just don't care. Their sound may not be as good as other headphones in the price range, but they sound OK enough to me and they isolate noise like Etys, I guess even better. Without the hassle of sticking something deep into your ear.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 42
While I don't really like the sound of the QC15, I've always admitted that I've never seen noise cancelling that good.
If you take trains and planes a lot, it could definitely be a worthwhile investment if you need the ANC.

For portable use I use my Shure SE535 now =/
The portability of earbuds with the exceptional isolation just make them a winner for me.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:
While I don't really like the sound of the QC15, I've always admitted that I've never seen noise cancelling that good.
If you take trains and planes a lot, it could definitely be a worthwhile investment if you need the ANC.
For portable use I use my Shure SE535 now =/
The portability of earbuds with the exceptional isolation just make them a winner for me.

I owned the SE535s for a long time and while they were great at passive noise cancelling, the QC15s were better still with their ANC.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 42
Regarding the ANC, that was my biggest gripe with them (I intended to use them at home just to block out aircon noise) - it's somewhat uncanny but I don't get the "pressure" complaint. I dislike the absolute "seal" effect I guess - IEMs at home are similarly weird to me. :xf_eek:

But compared to a lot of heavy closed cans, the comfort/isolation ratio is perfect.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 42
I owned the SE535s for a long time and while they were great at passive noise cancelling, the QC15s were better still with their ANC.

I'm not saying that my shures have better isolation, but the size factor (lets me throw them in my pocket) along with the excellent passive isolation make them more accommodating. I also don't take planes too often and usually only for a few hours so I guess I'll live with a low hum in the background rather than spend money on headphones I don't enjoy as much for a bit more isolation.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 42
They will break with-in six months time. Enjoy em while you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back