Bose OE: Trend?
May 12, 2007 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

nibiyabi

Headphoneus Supremus
I've noticed a lot of these on and around campus lately. It really makes me want to cry. It's so much worse than seeing someone with the AE because it's more expensive and so much worse than the AE (which is still abysmal, mind you). The worst example is someone who works in my building -- I saw him with the Bose IE and felt pity but not much more. He subsequently "upgraded" to the AE, at which point I really felt bad for the poor guy, and a few weeks ago he began sporting his brand-new OE.

Oh, the humanity.

Anyway, anyone else noticing this?
cool.gif

May 12, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 31
Dont see many Bose garbage cans around here, i do see alot at the airport on this end when i travel though. i go back and forth from here to NY maybe once a year for only a couple weeks. and up there all i see are ipod in ear garbages.

last time i saw someone with bose cans was months ago, i actually let the guy listen to my ultrasones, he seemed pretty excited to learn about them, wonder if he went out looking for some...

May 12, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 31
Folks hear the Bose stuff on a plane and go right to the Bose store and buy what they heard. For most, it's their first introduction to anything better than the crappy stuff their MP3 player came with.

May 12, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by puhn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's so true

It's a true story related to me by the same friend I mentioned in the other thread about Bose that tried to convince me that his Bose were better than the headphones I have. It is sad.

May 12, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 31
They are not crappy, just over priced... of course, this only make sense to people who know the true value of their headphone lies in sound quality, not marketing tactic.

May 12, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 31
I see WAY more skullcandies on campus, which I think is far worse. I think I would choose Bose over skullycandy any day.

May 12, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 31
come on, Bose stuff is socially cool, admit it................
wink.gif

When you wear a pair of headphones in public, they are more than just something to get the sound, they also enhence or degrades your social image. Like your 580/600/650? try wearing a pair all day around campus, people will look at your like you are some kind of nuts (no no no, they don't look at you as headphone enthusiast, they just think you are crazy that is all, and refer you as the "weirdo with big headphones"). That will be uncool!

The general public hear about Bose more, so they think Bose are premium stuff, hence showing up in the public with a pair of Bose on is not only acceptable, it is considered as COOL! We don't think it is cool, but most non-head-fi people do. If you put on your AKG701 and walk around and tell people "dude, my AKG sounds great" they will be like,"AK what? AK? what AK? oh, those silly headphones, yeah whatever..."

People are generally not headphone experts, and most of them don't want to be either. Not everybody likes headphones, most put them on just to have some kind of sounds when they are on the move, they prefer the sound from their speaks better. They chose Bose because Bose have a great public image and sounds good (critical listening when you are on the move?). It is not their fault, if AKG/Senn/Beyer do as much advertisement and are as well known to the general public they will be wearing what we call the "good canns"
basshead.gif

Well Bose is indeed overpriced, so we think they should lower their price, then what, we all go buy a pair?
wink.gif

May 12, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 31
i didnt even like bose when i heard them back when i didnt know jack-crap about headphones, i felt like someone packed my ears with mudwater and played some music with a 100hz lowcut and a 10khz highcut applied. and still had no mids, but somehow still managed to be audible. it was horrible. D:

May 12, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i didnt even like bose when i heard them back when i didnt know jack-crap about headphones, i felt like someone packed my ears with mudwater and played some music with a 100hz lowcut and a 10khz highcut applied. and still had no mids, but somehow still managed to be audible. it was horrible. D:

Yes, I went to an apple store a few weeks ago, tried out their phones for funsies, and it sounded all messed up in the mids and uppers... and the bass for that matter!
evil_smiley.gif
But honestly, it just didn't sound right to me.

May 12, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 31
I think it's a universal phenomenon. I am so tired of having to bite my tongue when Friends show me their new Lifestyle setups or $300 wave radio.

"You like Hi-Fi . Dont these sound great?" Little 2 1/2 in. cubes. 5in sub. Sure there great. All the time knowing that Crutchfield is Blowing out Infinity Primus Spkrs for $59 and there is a Paradigm dealer down the street selling the great little Atoms.

I've never heard the Bose Phones so I won't comment. However I have a real problem with their company's markrting practices. Kind of like hearing a Laptop described on Home shoping network!

May 12, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 31
I notice quite a few travelers with bose headphones when I'm traveling by plane. I guess it's no coincidence that nearly every airport I've been to has had a bose store.

May 12, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 31
Let's admit it - we are elitists. But also, other people are lazy becuase they don't do their research.

I feel "special" in that I have Future Sonics Atrio M5's, an IEM that almost nobody in the mainstream public has ever heard of, yet they sound better that most IEM's on the shelf. I feel special that I have ATH-A900's. I did my reserach, and learned before I purchased. Bose isn't for that type of person. They market a product, and yes I too believe it's not that Bose is a horrible product, just overpriced. Bose is better than most of the other stuff they share the shelves with.

May 12, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 31
Two friends of mine recently got Bose phones. One was reacting to a full-page ad in the paper before Christmas, the other bought the most expensive, prominently-displayed-at-the-Apple-store phone. When Etymotic and Shure take out full page ads, advertise on the TV, and get the best display space at the store, people will buy them, and not until. Most people don't even know how to research what the best product is, much less wanting to bother doing the work to find out. If BMW didn't advertise heavily, no one would own one of those, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back