Bose IE review on Engadget
Jan 27, 2007 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
No I am not trying to start another anti Bose thread, I am simply posting this to show you that others do know Bose is overpriced.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/r...his-231867.php

Did one of you guys send this to them?

****** Gizmodo, sorry I get my sites mixed up, can a mod change it for me?

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I am not trying to start another anti Bose thread, I am simply posting this to show you that others do know Bose is overpriced.

You obviously are..
A handful of head-fier owns these and like them, it's a matter of taste

Jan 27, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 16
That is what I like to see. I hate reviewers that praise Bose. It's like Ipods. Although Ipod makes a nice product the marketing has even fair critics write reviews that love the product.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 16
I thought the review was a bit harsh...especially when it ripped the IE's for not isolating. Hello, it wasn't designed to isolate...it would probably sound a lot worse if it did. Also, these things are supposed to be the most well-priced Bose items on the market right now.

It sucks when reviewers are too pro-Bose or pro-Apple. But it sucks when they're too heavily biased against them, too.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 16
i'm almost positive that bose has good amplification at all of their store displays. they always seem to sound better in store than my old pair do at my house. perhaps the bose IEMs sound better with proper amplification? ive listened to them very briefly after just listening to my super.fi 5 pros for about an hour and i was shocked at how muddy they sounded. i then had to remind myself of what i had just been listening to.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrox89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm almost positive that bose has good amplification at all of their store displays. they always seem to sound better in store than my old pair do at my house. perhaps the bose IEMs sound better with proper amplification? ive listened to them very briefly after just listening to my super.fi 5 pros for about an hour and i was shocked at how muddy they sounded. i then had to remind myself of what i had just been listening to.
biggrin.gif

Well, you can't really compare Bose IE's to Super.Fi 5Pro's...
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by patrox89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya i know - thats what i was saying.

regardless, they sounded muddy to me.

Realistically though, they are probably worse than the $20 JVC Marshmallows.

But still, I remember several people here on Head-Fi were actually pretty impressed with the sound. Hmm, whatever.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 16
I recently got some used Bose IE.  They have so much midbass I think they might be broken somehow.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 16
Heard bose at a store and their sound signature is very very likable. Are they branded as Hi-Fi cans? Coz if they aren't then I must say they're very comfortable to listen to...Though the sound is on the cold side imo.

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 16
Is it just my imagination, or have these headphones exploded in popularity lately? It seems like every other person wearing headphones on the subway has those long black and white cables.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 16
They are great for running, jogging and walking fast.

In Europe most people do not wear in-ear phones while walking (commuting), they wear On-Ear or Around Ear phones (sennheisers are very popular)

Bose IE2 does the job very well, not the sound part. Looking at purely on sound perspective I consider them maybe $50 phones (about 25% worse than Brainwavz M2s, but 30% better than Maximos). So you are left with remaining $50, and what do you pay for that?

1 - Name
2 - Comfort

These phones are extremely comfortable. When walking fast, jogging, I could not find a single phone that will stay in my ear and give the same sound quality. I always will have to tuck the phones back into my ear every couple of minutes for all the phones I tried except the Sennheiser 300 CX2's. But they don't sound anywhere as good as the Bose IE2's.

So it all depends on what you are doing, for jogging, running, walking these are doing an excellent job.
For sit down listening, definitely not worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back