Bose Headphones
May 15, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor1189
I wouldn't worry to much about Grado looks. They really aren't that bad and they look pretty different when you actually see them as apposed to online in photos. I thought they were the ugliest, cheapest looking things when I first saw them on here and said man I would never buy those. Now I am listening to them while I type this.
rolleyes.gif
Also what about buying from somewhere with a return policy then you can return them if you think they are ugly (you won't). I have tried the bose qc2 and bose triport and Grado SR-60 win no question. Granted Bose feel like you have pillows on your ears but Grados are pretty comfortable imho and sound 10X better.

So you suggest the Grado SR-60 for VERY good sound?

May 15, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #17 of 60
A few things might help determine if there are alternatives that might work for you.

Sounds like your looking for closed, since your looking at the Bose but can't tell from your post?

What’s your budget?

Are these for portable use or around the house?

Search around the forums for alternatives in your price range.

Bottom line is, if your happy with the Bose Sound signature, go for it. Many around here believe there are much better performing headphones at lower price points than Bose if you haven't already figured that out. My very brief experience with them in the Bose store tells me they are right.

Personally, I'd say spend $20 or less for a set of KSC75's or $49 for a set of Senn PX100's and take them to the Bose store and compare the 2. You'll save a ton of money and find out what everyone is talking about..

Good Luck !

May 16, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #19 of 60
For $150, you could get an Sr-125, an HD580 (which would need an amp), or an A700, all of which would blast the triports out of the water. Then again, so would the SR-60's.

May 16, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #20 of 60
the SR60 was amazing, today i think there are better sounding headphones at it's price range...never the less, it's a grado and offers a very specific sound that's good with rock, and other aggressive music.
for 150 i think a Sennheiser 580 would be best, especially if it's for home use.

May 16, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl
So you suggest the Grado SR-60 for VERY good sound?

I would reccomend the Grado SR-60 just based on its price and its sound. But if you like bose sound (mids and low) maybe something like the ms-1 (identical in appearance to the SR-60 but less highs & more lows) would be better. They are $100. I think most people say that unless you are going to go with an amp then SR-60/MS-1 are very good for their price. If you are going with an amp then maybe SR-125 would be better ($150-TTVJ). But I think without an amp the SR-125 is not supposed to be that much of a SQ jump from SR-60/MS-1.

DISCLAIMER: I have heard only heard the SR-60 in the Grado line. Everything I have said here is just things I remember reading from when I was looking for a Grado headphone. Someone that has heard the higher end Grados can back me up on this or set me straight.

May 16, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl
Thanks for the response. I liked the grado's, but is there any more headphones out there with a similar size as the grado's and big sound??

you could try the alessandro MS-1's, either way if you choose the SR-60 or MS-1 it will sound much better than the bose headphones.

May 16, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #27 of 60
the HD580 looks alot better than the SR60.
the SR60 isn't big sound...it's very fast, very fun and direct. it doesn't give sound from all directions or have heavy bass... the HD555 might be better for that purpose.

May 16, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #28 of 60
The most important thing for you to decide is if you want open or closed headphones. If you're planning on using these outside, or in loud environments, or in places where you can't have a lot of sound leaking out of your headphones, you want closed headphones. If you will be listening at home, open are going to give you better sound. For open, and without an amp, I would go for HD555. For closed, I'd go with the AKG 81dj or Senn HD280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back