Bose everywhere!! BUT...
Nov 12, 2009 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

henryhan

Head-Fier
So it is currently 12:05am as I am writing this. I am sitting at the library at Rice University. Throughout the entire night, I have seen 2 Bose triports, 1 bose on ear, and 1 bose QC15. I actually found it quite funny that someone would actually use noise cancelling phones in a library!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, to my point. While the college audio crowd seems to be headed hopelessly spiraling down into consumerism audio products (also saw many SK buds), I came across a semi-hidden section of the library that has audio equipment! A turntable and a cd player both connected to a pre-amp. although the equipment is really old, I was pleasantly surprised.

As I was about to leave, I noticed a small slip of paper taped to the desk saying, "for a pair of headphones, check them out at the circulation desk." Interested I walked over and asked what kind of headphones were available to be checked out.

To my utter surprise, the lady brought out a pair of AT m40s. As if I wasn't surprised enough, the other circulation lady said, "Oh, you can't use those kinds of headphones". She was referencing the plug being a 1/8". After saying that, she walked back into a room and brought out...

...a set of DT770/250! Holy smokes! Not only does my school's library stock AT's, but also Beyers as well. What a hidden gem to have stumbled upon!

My question: do any other college head-fiers have similar experiences??

tl;dr My school's library lets us check out DT770/250 and AT m40

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 22
The last time I asked my school library(Media section no less) to borrow headphones, they gave me a blank stare... LOL

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 22
The first pair that I got had tons of static. They were a 250ohm version. Then I got a pair of seemingly newer 600ohm ones. I always wanted to try the dt770s, never thought I would try them in a school library!

@tvrboy, i really should ask to see if i could buy some
smily_headphones1.gif
(though they seem pretty beat up)

The driver's would be fine, yes? I would just need replace the REALLY old (see:discolored) pads lol

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 22
I can't even start to imagine how people have worn those cans. All those years of sweat, grime, and microbes are just sitting on the pads waiting for the next sap to put them on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 22
Nothing a spray with Glen20 won't fix =P

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 22
I think here in the US, Lysol would be the same thing. haha

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by henryhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The driver's would be fine, yes? I would just need replace the REALLY old (see:discolored) pads lol

Generally speaking, yes.
There are ways for the driver to be damaged though (eg stabbing inside the pads with a fork). But other than that the DT770 are pretty much indestructible..

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 22
Usually, library cans are inspected for damage upon returning, so students wouldn't deliberately rough handle or purposely damage them.

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(eg stabbing inside the pads with a fork).

Yeah this happened the last time I tried to eat my headphones. I couldn't even eat the whole thing, and then my drivers were broken! Talk about a bad day...

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 22
Kind of like women, I could date one that had been enjoyed once, but not a set of headphones that had been all over the school.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 22
Passed around like a peace pipe, huh?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back