bookshelf speakers vs studio monitors?
Nov 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #256 of 286
I have a set of M-Audio BX5's along with a Tannoy TS10 both modified for higher resolution without affecting frequency balance & the results are incredibly good.

How do you modify a sub (or speakers for that matter) for higher resolution?

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #257 of 286
Hi guys I know this thread has been inactive for sometime but I'm hoping to get some advice on my next desktop speakers. I'm currently using a Harmon Kardon Soundstick III and am looking to upgrade it. My setup is Sabre U2 DAC --> Bravo V2 amplifier. I'm not really sure whether this is a suitable set up desktop audio? But I'm looking at bookshelf speakers, possibly the LSR305 or something similar, within the $250 price range.

I would mainly be using the monitors for games, listening. Not much of studio recording and stuff like that. And I'm worried that studio monitors might be a little too neutral for the activities I'm using it for? I would prefer a slightly brighter sounding speaker, possibly like my AKGQ701. 

Any advice?

Given the price range, I'm guessing you've looked at KRKs, M-Audios, etc.

Might be worth considering Emotivas...the 5s are $332 and the 4s are $284 on Amazon.

They seem to get good reviews...here's one http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/emotiva-airmotiv-5-active-monitor-speakers

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #258 of 286
Given the price range, I'm guessing you've looked at KRKs, M-Audios, etc.

Might be worth considering Emotivas...the 5s are $332 and the 4s are $284 on Amazon.

They seem to get good reviews...here's one http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/emotiva-airmotiv-5-active-monitor-speakers

What about the Audio Engine A2+? It already has an integrated DAC and USB output as well, which wouldn't be necessary The Emotivas looks promising and I would definitely consider them. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #259 of 286
What about the Audio Engine A2+? It already has an integrated DAC and USB output as well, which wouldn't be necessary The Emotivas looks promising and I would definitely consider them. 

Yeah...didn't realize the Audioengines had a built in DAC. That's a nice feature if it's well implemented! Looks like a very solid value if you like their sound.

I guess the benefits to the the Emotivas (and possibly some of the other monitors) is that they are bi-amped individually...which theoretically should be better. However, this might depend on the amp quality and the implementation as well. They also have 5" woofers which should dig deeper than the A2+'s

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #260 of 286
The A2+ only has a 2.75" driver, which is really small. They are tiny little speakers. To make it seems like it has more bass extension than it does, Audioengine artificially added in an upper midbass hump to the speaker.

So the A2+ is very good for someone who has to have that sized speaker. But even the Emotiva Airmotiv 4 are going to be a better speaker than the A2+.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #261 of 286
How do you modify a sub (or speakers for that matter) for higher resolution?

By  removing all capacitors leading to ground from the negative feedback loop & bypassing power supply electrolytic filter capacitors with large value metalized film capacitors. Works wonders. Same mods to my soundcard. http://www.head-fi.org/t/705284/germaniums-sound-blaster-zxr-mod-thread The speaker are all internally amplified with active crossovers.

Also eliminated all electrolytic coupling capacitors.

The sub modifications gave me the capacity to reproduce deeper bass & to work better with my BX5 satellite speakers. The higher resolution is not something you will hear by playing the sub by itself. It must be auditioned as a whole system to appreciate the enhanced resolution

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #262 of 286
 By  removing all capacitors leading to ground from the negative feedback loop & bypassing power supply electrolytic filter capacitors with large value metalized film capacitors. Works wonders. Same mods to my soundcard. http://www.head-fi.org/t/705284/germaniums-sound-blaster-zxr-mod-thread The speaker are all internally amplified with active crossovers.

Also eliminated all electrolytic coupling capacitors.

The sub modifications gave me the capacity to reproduce deeper bass & to work better with my BX5 satellite speakers. The higher resolution is not something you will hear by playing the sub by itself. It must be auditioned as a whole system to appreciate the enhanced resolution

I can see how that might be helpful with the speakers, but how does that work with the sub on producing deeper bass? The driver and cabinet are tuned to determine the frequency response. Well, I guess if the sub amp has an eq in it (which sometimes manufacturers do often adjust with some kind of built in EQ adjustment), then you might be changing the frequency response.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #263 of 286
I can see how that might be helpful with the speakers, but how does that work with the sub on producing deeper bass? The driver and cabinet are tuned to determine the frequency response. Well, I guess if the sub amp has an eq in it (which sometimes manufacturers do often adjust with some kind of built in EQ adjustment), then you might be changing the frequency response.

Yes crossover is in fact changed. Subwoofers resonant frequency became the crossover frequency & active crossover in the sub becomes an EQ correcting for the natural rolloff below resonance. Subsonic filter was removed. This is a sealed sub so the subsonic filter was not really needed. The crossover is a 12db/octive active crossover that I'm using to correct for the natural 12db/ octive rolloff below resonance giving me flat response to 25Hz instead of 55-60Hz before stating to rolloff.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #264 of 286
OK. You took out the subsonic filter. That make sense about where you get the extra bass extension, although I wonder how usable it is. And you right. I wonder why they put the subsonic filter in there to begin with as it's definitely not needed for a sealed sub.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #265 of 286
OK. You took out the subsonic filter. That make sense about where you get the extra bass extension, although I wonder how usable it is. And you right. I wonder why they put the subsonic filter in there to begin with as it's definitely not needed for a sealed sub.

Believe me, in my room it very usable. There is about 14db of correction between the resonant frequency & the lower active crossover frequency perfectly correcting the drop in output below resonant frequency.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #266 of 286
Yeah...didn't realize the Audioengines had a built in DAC. That's a nice feature if it's well implemented! Looks like a very solid value if you like their sound.

I guess the benefits to the the Emotivas (and possibly some of the other monitors) is that they are bi-amped individually...which theoretically should be better. However, this might depend on the amp quality and the implementation as well. They also have 5" woofers which should dig deeper than the A2+'s

The A2+ only has a 2.75" driver, which is really small. They are tiny little speakers. To make it seems like it has more bass extension than it does, Audioengine artificially added in an upper midbass hump to the speaker.

So the A2+ is very good for someone who has to have that sized speaker. But even the Emotiva Airmotiv 4 are going to be a better speaker than the A2+.

Would it be worth it to go up to the Emotiva Airmotiv 5? Would the sound improvement be worth the extra money? I'm also worried about the distance to the speakers as it is a desktop speaker so I'm worried maybe if I go for the 5's it would be a tad too big?

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #267 of 286
Don't know your desk size but the 5" Studio Monitors all seem to be roughly the same size...from smallest to largest BX5 < 5s < Rokit 5 < LSR305

Going to a 4" Studio Monitor saves you roughly an inch on each dimension. For my money, I'd purchase the 5" monitors.

From my perspective, I'm hoping I'll like the sound of these a little better based on reviews, past experiences with ribbon vs dome tweeters, and how they fit my sound signature preferences.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #269 of 286
Hmm I see. I was about to purchase the Airmotiv 5s yesterday, until i realized they only ship with 110V power cords. Because I'm residing in Singapore which uses UK pins and 230V, would purchasing my own power cord myself be self sufficient? Or would i need a transformer for that as well?

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #270 of 286
  Hmm I see. I was about to purchase the Airmotiv 5s yesterday, until i realized they only ship with 110V power cords. Because I'm residing in Singapore which uses UK pins and 230V, would purchasing my own power cord myself be self sufficient? Or would i need a transformer for that as well?

Hey, I recently purchased a pair of Emotiva Airmotive 5S's couple weeks ago. They are big but not anything a desk should not be able to handle. They will definitely give you much fuller sound. I use them with a sub but even without I can tell they make much more bass the my M-Audio Bx5's. The imaging is wonderful. They fill the room with accurate sound, creating a large sweet spot. The tweeter is very good. They are very powerful. Compared to the 4s, unless if space and transport are that much of a concern spend the extra to get the 5s. It will go a lot lower and produce fuller sound. In my opinion their is no competition between these and Audio Engines. That being said they play better in a big room. Small room I have, the benefits over my M-Audio was not huge because I used a sub. I can tell they are better when playing loud, not much when I am listening low. Without any eq they are better than my M-Audios. 

Also these speakers look stunning, some of the best looking monitors out there. 

As for using them with 230v. You have to replace the fuse. https://emotiva.com/resources/manuals/airmotiv_5s_user_v10.pdf Go to page 7 and they will tell you. Maybe you can call Emotiva and ask them to make it 230v ready for you. Worth a shot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back