Bookshelf speakers for NAD system
Mar 18, 2003 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stymie miasma

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am trying to put together a basic but enjoyable system for a small apartment. So far, I have picked up an NAD C740 receiver and plan to get my hands of a 541i CD player in a couple of months. For the time being, I will be running a PCDP through the C740.

My question is:

Can anyone recommend a good set of bookshelf speakers around the US$400 mark that will suit the NAD system? My criteria are:
(a) versitile - rock, ambient, jazz, hiphop, electronica
(b) position insensitive - I don't want to have to sit stationary at a mathimatically-derived locus to enjoy the sound. Nor do I want the sound to change drastically as I move around the room. If I don't need to move around, I am listening to headphones!
biggrin.gif

(c) forward, lively sound, but not harsh. I love the presentation of my Grado SR60s, so something along these lines, but maybe more refined, would be nice
wink.gif

(d) work well with NAD components.

I have been auditioning as best I can, and have made the following notes:

PSB Image 2s and 3s:

These are really, really great for their size and price, and seem to handle most styles of music that I could get my hands on. Bass was extended and controlled, mids were pleasing but the highs were possibly a bit harsh. This was most noticable when listening to the new Beth Gibbons album. Otherwise, imaging was great and they didn't seem to have a positioning prolem.

My main concern was with the highs, and that after a couple of hours auditioning, I felt a bit fatigued. That said, the PSB Image series are a forward-sounding speaker, which is what I am looking for (akin to the Grado sound, which I don't find fatiguing at all). I was doing my listening through NAD components.

B&W 602 and 603:

I didn't spend quite as long with these as the PSBs (a different store), and I was listening through a Rotel system (how does Rotel compare to NAD? Would I expect different results from an NAD system compared to what I heard from the Rotel?).

Anyway, the B&Ws were considerably smoother than the PSBs to my ears, especially in the higher frequencies which were very delicious! Bass was again pleasing, being neither loose and overpowering or amemic. Here, my main concern was with the mids (I think? read on...). This was most noticable when listening to Chet Baker, his trumpet sounded different to what I am used to hearing through both headphones, and some old Jamos I left back in Australia. It was almost as if it was a bit 'honky' which surprised me given the overall pleasing nature of the speaker in al other regards. Imaging was good, but different between the two models - but this was subtle and hard for me to explain. I can't recall whether they were as 'position insensitive' as the PSBs though. So here, my main concern is the honky mids and how they will pair with the NAD components. I do plan to re-audition these in the coming weeks, hopefully with my C740.

Until that time, any extra input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking
rolleyes.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 14
NAD and PSB pair very well together. If you want to save a bit of money, I'd bet you'd even be happy with the Alpha series; they offer surprisingly good sound when paired with NAD gear (less harsh than the Image series, which you might prefer).

Mar 18, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 14
I've got the Image 2B, and agree with what you've said. They seem to perform well for almost every type of music, which is why I got them. Neutral sound, and imaging is fantastic. The only thing that lets me down is the soundstage, not exactly huge, but acceptable.

The other speakers I was considering were the Totem Mites. Don't recall if they were as neutral sounding, but they are better in terms of soundstage, & PRaT. The upper range is quite a lot smoother (they use a soft dome tweeter). They're superb for the price, and would be hungry for the high current provided by the NAD. Only thing is, they are a bit more money, which crossed them off my list. If you're offended by the harshness of the PSB, you definitely gotta check out the Totems.

Mar 18, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
NAD and PSB pair very well together. If you want to save a bit of money, I'd bet you'd even be happy with the Alpha series; they offer surprisingly good sound when paired with NAD gear (less harsh than the Image series, which you might prefer).

Just to clarify, MacDEF is talking about the old Alpha series (with the polycarbonate dome tweeters). The new Alpha series (with the metal dome tweeters) is quite a bit more forward and in my opinion harsher than the Image series. That's not to say they're not enjoyable -- they are very good for the price.

Things get smoother as you move up the PSB line. The Stratus Minis are exceptionally smooth in the highs, while still having the same slightly forward character as the Image series.

Personally, I settled on PSB Century 500is -- they're essentially a cross between a bookshelf and a small floorstanding speaker, with 8-inch woofers so a sub isn't necessary. These have a completely different character than the other PSB speakers mentioned here, they're fairly mellow, rather than forward.

Mar 18, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 14
I'll second the PSBs!

I use them with a parasound reciever and MMF-1. Great sound at a great price!

Mar 18, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 14
Just an idea but, you may want to check out the following website -

www.edgeaudio.com

This small company from out here in Oregon makes some pretty nice little bookselfs. I have heard a pair and they sound quite lovely. They were very refined, with a wonderful midrange. They also come in a beautiful real cherry finish which would be pretty hard to come by in that price range.

Mar 18, 2003 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 14
After looking at your criteria, I strongly (read: STRONGLY
biggrin.gif
) recommend the Axiom M22ti (www.axiomaudio.com/m22ti.html). They are simply phenomenal for the price. Overall they are very well balanced, transparent and quick, and I know someone's gonna hate me for saying this, but the darn things are musical too
biggrin.gif
(of course this ties in with the transparency, quickness and balance). The highs are very, very good - probably the best highs I've heard in any speaker, regardless of size or price. Extended and clean without any hint of sibilance or fatigue after extended listening sessions. Mids are neutral (note: NOT dry at all) and smooth, and bass is tight and articulated well, and rolls off smoothly at the extremes, without any sudden cut-off or bloat to make up for the driver size.

Imaging is absolutely fantastic, and with good recordings is quite holographic with a seamless and solid soundstage that extends quite a bit beyond the speakers themselves. They've handled everything I've thrown at them with ease, from large scale orchestral to hard rock, from jazz/funk to pop. They also don't seem to be overly placement sensitive, and while you definitely do glean more detail from sitting in the sweet spot, they don't lose too much information off-axis. Oh, these speakers also "disappear" better than any other I've heard in the price range.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 14
Oh my! Thank you all very the very helpful replies. Hopefully I will be able to find somewhere locally to audition these.

I shall endeavour to keep you abreast (a'hem!
rolleyes.gif
) of my findings!

Apr 3, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 14
Update:

First-off, thanks again for all your recomendations. Unfortunately, while I was very keen to listen to the speakers you suggested - in particular the Paradigms, Totems and Monitor Audio - I just could not coordinate the logistics of getting out to the closest dealers.

In the end, I went back to what I was most happy with - the PSB Image 2Bs. The decision was made easier by the fact that a pair of 'open box' appeared on Ebay last week, being sold by none other than everyone's favourite friends, Yawa Audio. The price was a steal, and I get a 5 year warrantee, so I am happy. The folks at Yawa a simply a TREAT to deal with. I have no hesitation, as others have said before me, to deal with them again.

The speakers arrived last night, by FedEx. They have been hooked up and sound a little rough on some discs, but so far so good. Speaker stands and burn-in should help things considerably.

Thanks again for your input. It's great to finally be able to move around and listen to music!
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 14
I've listened to the entire line of PSB's and have failrly
limited exposure to the B&W's except for 800 series.

However I feel that you could pick up a new or used
pair of PSB Stratus Mini's for a pretty good price, and
they have pretty darn good midrange. Basicaly the
mini's are the top half of the Stratus Gold's.

Good Luck......

Apr 4, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 14
Yes, I was looking around for a good pair of second-hand Stratus minis, but a good deal on the Image 2Bs came up, and I jumped.
biggrin.gif
Hopefully one day, in the distant future, I will have a bit more cash and will get a chance to look more closely at the Stratus minis, and perhaps some B&Ws again.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Talitmon
I've listened to the entire line of PSB's and have failrly
limited exposure to the B&W's except for 800 series.

However I feel that you could pick up a new or used
pair of PSB Stratus Mini's for a pretty good price, and
they have pretty darn good midrange. Basicaly the
mini's are the top half of the Stratus Gold's.

Good Luck......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back