Bookshelf Speakers for Dorm Life: Mission 780SE?
Jul 3, 2004 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

lojay

1000+ Head-Fier
Intro:

I'm living in a dorm soon, I don't suppose sharing my extensive music knowledge and good taste would hurt at all
biggrin.gif

Just kidding...it's just that headphone listening would make me look like a dork, where everyone else just wouldn't do something so unsociable as that.

That's the reason I want bookshelf speakers, a pair that'd allow me to keep for years to come.

Requirements:

It has to be forgiving, musical and mellow, while keeping the pace and musicalness. It's to be used in a small room at low to moderate volumes.

I listen to 99% of all genres and 90% of all their subgenres, from Free Jazz to Minimalism; from The Streets to Steely Dan. Some classical but I'm quite bad at it; i.e. I listen to nearly everything. So I need a speaker that is fun but more importantly musical, and doesn't need to much slam and wham, especially if it'd yield to hollowness or harshness.

The fuller the sound the better. I simply can't stand harshness and hollowness, which a lot of low end speakers have to give a "crispness" and "sharp edge" to the sound.

The Speaker Audition:

I've tried a pair of Focal/JM Labs Cobalts around $300 and a pair of $400 Mission 780SE's, a grade higher than Mission m51 and m71's, which's seldom mentioned here. I kind of like the forward but musical forgivingness of the English Mission 780's, which are absent in the Mission M51's I've observed at the same time. I cannot comment much on the JM Labs, as time spent on them was little, and the source was different.

I havent the time to look at all the massive selections of bookshelves mentioned before here in Head-fi, although I've seen the Mission's pop out quite not-so-favourably as others.

According to my own ears, the CDs I've tested them with today, i.e. Iron Maiden and Diana Krall, sounds better on the English made Mission 780SE than the French made $300,$400 Focal/JM Labs speakers.

Lastly, take my opinions as crap and tell me all you know about these speakers. (Both JM Labs and Mission's) I fully understand how the different settings during audition let consumers make wrong decisions, for example some bought a Mission 780 back home coz they thought it sounded musical and full at the audtion room, but figured that they sounded harsh back at home, and buyers reget came in. So don't tell me, please don't, that I should "buy it if I felt it sounded nice". I have bad ears because of such large subjectiveness during the bad audition settings yesterday, and relatively short audiophile experience. So pitch in and give all your opinions out! Leave none for yourself!

Jul 3, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 31
Update: I use an E-MU 1212m with CD's ripped to FLAC or MPC using foobar2000. I'm not hesitant to buy a powerful amp (but has to be under $300)

Regarding the JM Labs, its a Cobalt series because its grey. Anyone know the difference in SQ between Cobalt and Chorus series?
I tried the JM Labs on both Esoteric Universal CDPs (!!! which is overkill) and later a n Onkyo Intergra Amp +CDp

Jul 4, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 31
bump

Jul 4, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 31
OK, I'll check them out, given that the NHT's bear so many rave reviews.

BTW, Win Win Shop has quite a selection, tho microscopic to tower or HMV. But a far better emphasis on audiophile recordings and SACDs. Man, the classical section's huge!

Jul 4, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 31
Something to consider is the efficiency of the NHT vs. the Monitor Audio. The NHT requires more power due to its sealed cabinet design. Whenever I get a chance to listen to the Monitor Audio, it has a effortless sound to it, yet presenting a very real image of the recording.

lojay, I didn't get a chance to visit HMV or Tower (they're still around?). But in many ways, HK has a much wider selection of SACD than here in the US. My music taste is quite eclectic, so my SACDs runs from Rolling Stones to Dave Brubeck, and from Sam Hui to Sarah Brightman.

Jul 4, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 31
Dynaudio Audeince 42.. retail for ~$799, but can be haggled to mid $600s.. I recently auditioned against similar size NHT, no even close. You've gotta hear the soundstage on these babies, and so damn smooth. I just purchased a set for my surrounds.

mike

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 31
I also going to college soon (next two weeks). I was looking getting some old bookshelfs and hooking them up with some new Dayton drivers.
580smile.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 31
I am using a pair of NHT SB3s. I used to have a Yamaha integrated amp, sounds great to my ears. These bookshelfs can go down to ~40Hz. With my new Rotel amp, bookshelf bass has taken on a whole different meaning.

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 31
I guess I should update my info....

Originally, I was going to switch from my NHT SB2 to the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 bookshelf speakers. At my local MA dealer (The Good Guys), they were having a sale on the Energy C-3, and when A/B-ing between the MA and the Energy, the C-3 won out. Quite efficient at almost 92dB, the C-3 should be on everyone's short list of under $500/pair bookshelf speaker audition list.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 31
Did you give up on diy yet, lojay?
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 31
Did you audition any Paradigm or Axioms?

Both companies have excellent budget bookshelves.

Aug 4, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
I guess I should update my info....
Originally, I was going to switch from my NHT SB2 to the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 bookshelf speakers. At my local MA dealer (The Good Guys), they were having a sale on the Energy C-3, and when A/B-ing between the MA and the Energy, the C-3 won out. Quite efficient at almost 92dB, the C-3 should be on everyone's short list of under $500/pair bookshelf speaker audition list.

I second these two choices...Energy and Monitor Audio are also quite good HT speakers if you need to go surround in the future.

Aug 4, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 31
First off, Dynaudio's wont work in a small room.

Secondly, Missions are really not that good for the money IMO. I've had the M51, and while the 780 are *slightly* better, still nothing special.

I recommend you check out some Rega Kytes or Linn Kan, both fantastic, musical bookshelf speakers. I doubt the 780 or the Bronze 2's will get close to the sweet groovy sound of these speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back